Careers

It's almost impossible to find a decent job.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2012 1:32 pm
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13841 posts
1337 upvotes
Alpina00B7 wrote: Thx for replying guys,

First off i dont look down on the people doing these jobs, i actually have respect for the people doing these jobs. It's these garbage jobs that i have no respect for, in an ideal world no one should be working these jobs. Personally id rather be unemployed than be a slave at a fast food restaurant, that's my PERSONAL CHOICE.

You guys all seem to think i have an attitute problem or that im a troll, just because i don't like doing physical work. What im looking for is a customer service type job at some kind of store (sears,bay or any small retailer) but it seems most of these jobs go to women. Im also open to telemarketing/call center jobs, but most of these jobs are scams.

I really don't know what else to do, im a good looking guy, dress well but can't seem to find anything. I plan on going to college next year, but until then don't want to sit at home.
Then don't sit at home. Go play sports or pick up an instrument or a fishing pole or chase some girls around the pool.

What you complaining about? You're young, healthy and have your life ahead of you. Get off this board and go enjoy the nice weather.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1473 upvotes
Pickering
Several times you have swatted down other peoples opinion, because they are "not what you are looking for". You also stated that people think you are a troll or have an attitude problem. This isn't an attack thread and people aren't multiquoting each other to pick on you, I see a lot of genuine answers that you are choosing to ignore. Its like you've asked what is everybody's favourite colour preference but you have to answer using the letters p_nk and can only substitute letters that look similar to vertical sticks.

As a guy, at least once in our lives, we've all purchased a cologne we thought smelled nice and people commented on how it stunk up the place. At first, you ignore it thinking they are joking, but after a few more comments, you need to take a reality check and throw the bottle out before you become known as Mr. Stinky. How many more times do you want to be told the same thing by so many different people? We don't know each other, yet we think the same thing. I have had the occasion to hire people and can tell you going on the internet and asking for a specific job is ok, but once you point out your reasons for not taking any other jobs, you are starting to look like a whiner.

I had a job in retail. I originally applied for it and didn't get it. Why? No experience. I did get the job eventually. How? I went across the street and took a job at Mc Donalds and came back a year later and resubmitted my resume and got the job. No other applications were handed out, no other differences were made except for my experience showed I wasn't going to bail in the job after a few months, I had experience handling cash and I worked as part of a team.

Why don't you post your exact jobs and how long you were there and see what the critics think? I don't think you will like how we perceive it because after a few of your posts you are coming across as a bit prissy and I am NOT making fun of you.

A lot of the people replying are older than you, have been there before, and hire people themselves. You are not in a unique situation that nobody has ever been in before. If they didn't want to help, they never would have posted in this thread at all.
Dec 9, 2007
229 posts
28 upvotes
Alpina00B7 wrote: Thx for replying guys,

First off i dont look down on the people doing these jobs, i actually have respect for the people doing these jobs. It's these garbage jobs that i have no respect for, in an ideal world no one should be working these jobs. Personally id rather be unemployed than be a slave at a fast food restaurant, that's my PERSONAL CHOICE.

You guys all seem to think i have an attitute problem or that im a troll, just because i don't like doing physical work. What im looking for is a customer service type job at some kind of store (sears,bay or any small retailer) but it seems most of these jobs go to women. Im also open to telemarketing/call center jobs, but most of these jobs are scams.

I really don't know what else to do, im a good looking guy, dress well but can't seem to find anything. I plan on going to college next year, but until then don't want to sit at home.
I can understand if you feel that you're too good to do that kind of job your whole life, but you seem unable to bear through the crappy jobs to learn the skills you need to do better ones. Whether you go to school or not, what is really going to hold you back is your inability to make the best and most of situations and opportunities. A year in fast food shows me someone able to commit to something somewhat unpleasant for a year, a year of nothing makes me wonder what you did for that year.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2190 posts
196 upvotes
Walk into a No Frills or other grocery store. Ask to talk to manager/owner. Tell them you worked for another No Frills before and you have an OPEN availability. That's how I got my first job by myself. Right after I graduated Highschool too.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54423 posts
19273 upvotes
Alpina00B7 wrote: Im finished high school and can't seem to find any decent job.

The only jobs being offered to me are 'door to door', telemarketing or manual/physical work, or fast food. Which i refuse to do as i find them degrading, no disrespect to those who do them.

Now im not looking for a high paying job, just a normal decent retail job. I've applied to so many jobs online, dropped off resumes in store etc but no luck.

Any ideas?
At least you get paid rendering those manual/physical work. My wife threatened to beat me up if I don't:

clean the washrooms
check the tire pressures
learn to change my own tires
learn how to cook
stop surfing RFD
and many more...

And I don't get paid for all those things but it's part of managing the household.

Distinguish yourself from the others by getting to know the store managers and eventually asking for a job. Get some volunteer work as those look good on your resume and you will get the needed recommendations from the organizers when you are furnishing them with work references.

Don't let some pretentious bad ***** like Conquis.... put you down. His comments have never been encouraging and like to put people down which is why he is worst off than many people on this board.

I concur with many that one should look negatively on physical labor. We all have to do them around the house, might as well get paid doing them outside. You can demonstrate work ethics (teamwork, business know how, etc.) in any work setting and so getting a few other jobs different from the fast food setting will give you some more skill sets you can demonstrate to prospective employers.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13841 posts
1337 upvotes
Wilmega wrote: Walk into a No Frills or other grocery store. Ask to talk to manager/owner. Tell them you worked for another No Frills before and you have an OPEN availability. That's how I got my first job by myself. Right after I graduated Highschool too.
Did you work at another No Frills?

Because I can foresee a lot of follow-up questions that are going to make you constantly have to lie.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5020 posts
2170 upvotes
I don't mean to be a d*ck, but what are your plans in September?

Go to school or .... ?

As I have mentioned before, a High School Diploma is essentially nothing because essentially the school will ask the parents if their child should fail.

Seriously, you have no skills ....

I think it is good that you don't want to be just doing a manual labour job .... but what skills do you have that make you special?

Can't think of anything? Ok, what are you interested in?

Go to college find a program that will help you get a job doing what you are interested in and study that.

Not interested in anything at all? Search online for details about the Ontario Works program (aka welfare).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
167 upvotes
world25 wrote: I just had a BIG MAC meal at McDONALD'S.

At the bottom of the receipt, it says: NOW HIRING! APPLY ONLINE AT: LOG ON TO WWW.WORKSFORME.CA/MCD
OP specifically said he's too good for positions like that

A person like him deserves better
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4056 posts
387 upvotes
wrote:OP specifically said he's too good for positions like that
Nothing wrong with having a high self worth.
Nov 5, 2006
26 posts
10 upvotes
Compared to almost all people in the work force, you have no skills. Until this changes, you will not find a job. End thread.
Dec 9, 2011
11 posts
2 upvotes
BURNABY
Alpina00B7 wrote: Im finished high school and can't seem to find any decent job.

The only jobs being offered to me are 'door to door', telemarketing or manual/physical work, or fast food. Which i refuse to do as i find them degrading, no disrespect to those who do them.

Now im not looking for a high paying job, just a normal decent retail job. I've applied to so many jobs online, dropped off resumes in store etc but no luck.

Any ideas?
Hello Alpina00B7, I am a manager under the University Recruiting division at Google. I have been following your thread and as a mother of 2 new graduates myself, I understand it is difficult for young students like yourself to find an entry-level position. I would like to conduct a phone interview with you for an intern position as an university recruiter to help recruit young talent like yourself. The starting pay will be $15, and you will be part of a team of great, skilled, and positive individuals like yourself.

Okay, not really. In fact, not at all. I'm just a student probably around your age (19). However, like the other wonderful people who have decided to dedicate a little bit of their valuable time in helping you, I decided to post something.
Alpina00B7 wrote:It's these garbage jobs that i have no respect for
In order to feed my underprivileged family, I started (a bit late, mind you) at the age of 16, working at a "garbage job" at McDonald's for $6.75 before tax for a couple months (also juggling small loans from friends). After a few months, I realized that if any unexpected fees came up, my family would effectively become homeless. That was when I decided this "garbage job" would be a potential issue despite keeping a roof over my family's heads.

Very quickly, I decided that one of the easiest/most convenient ways to overcome that legally would be to make money online (I am not comfortable being a salesperson). However, I had very little experience with computers, because I got my first small/cheap computer 2 years prior. How did I tackle that issue? I realized complaining about my predicament would take me nowhere and probably put me on the streets, so I spent every minute outside of school and McDonald's to learn about web technologies and how websites are created. After a few months of going at it, I approached people in various forums online for collaboration projects free of charge.

After a year of coming up with the idea of making money online, I started creating personal websites and doing things like setting up Wordpress/Drupal sites for people. By the second year, I had been working with small to medium sized businesses, but had not managed to maintain a very steady income stream. So once I graduated from high school around 18, I took the time before my college term started to take on 2 part time "garbage jobs" along with my freelancing. In fact, I turned down a full scholarship to UVic because going to Victoria would mean I would have difficulty feeding my family in Vancouver.

A few months into college, I took freelancing as my "full-time" job, and took every short break between classes to work. I connected with a few classmates who had parents that referred me to some new clients, and I was able to maintain a steady income stream. On my second year of college (now), I am doing full-time internship at a global software company with over 50,000 employees worldwide while still working my 2 "garbage jobs" part-time AND doing freelance work full-time (minimum of 8 hours per day). Within the next few months, I am planning to pay down payment to purchase my first house.

Now this is not meant as a "oh look at me I have such a difficult life", or a "look I'm so much better than you", or story to highlight my small accomplishments. It is simply a story that resonates with what many of the kind people here have told you; it's pretty hard to get any "decent" job without first persevering through the "garbage jobs". To be honest, I make MUCH more doing freelance work than I do at my internship. However, because many of my clientèle request non-disclosure agreements, it is difficult for it to reflect my skills as the only career-related job I have. With my internship, I am able to write about (without disclosing internal "secrets") my position and have references.

Like everyone else here, I spent time writing this in the hopes that you will finally understand what may not yet make a lot of sense.
Interesting fact: The combined time these people (including myself) have spent with their posts would cost at least $500 if this was work.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19100 posts
2042 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
TheIntellects wrote: Hello Alpina00B7, I am a manager under the University Recruiting division at Google. I have been following your thread and as a mother of 2 new graduates myself, I understand it is difficult for young students like yourself to find an entry-level position. I would like to conduct a phone interview with you for an intern position as an university recruiter to help recruit young talent like yourself. The starting pay will be $15, and you will be part of a team of great, skilled, and positive individuals like yourself.

Okay, not really. In fact, not at all. I'm just a student probably around your age (19). However, like the other wonderful people who have decided to dedicate a little bit of their valuable time in helping you, I decided to post something.

In order to feed my underprivileged family, I started (a bit late, mind you) at the age of 16, working at a "garbage job" at McDonald's for $6.75 before tax for a couple months (also juggling small loans from friends). After a few months, I realized that if any unexpected fees came up, my family would effectively become homeless. That was when I decided this "garbage job" would be a potential issue despite keeping a roof over my family's heads.

Very quickly, I decided that one of the easiest/most convenient ways to overcome that legally would be to make money online (I am not comfortable being a salesperson). However, I had very little experience with computers, because I got my first small/cheap computer 2 years prior. How did I tackle that issue? I realized complaining about my predicament would take me nowhere and probably put me on the streets, so I spent every minute outside of school and McDonald's to learn about web technologies and how websites are created. After a few months of going at it, I approached people in various forums online for collaboration projects free of charge.

After a year of coming up with the idea of making money online, I started creating personal websites and doing things like setting up Wordpress/Drupal sites for people. By the second year, I had been working with small to medium sized businesses, but had not managed to maintain a very steady income stream. So once I graduated from high school around 18, I took the time before my college term started to take on 2 part time "garbage jobs" along with my freelancing. In fact, I turned down a full scholarship to UVic because going to Victoria would mean I would have difficulty feeding my family in Vancouver.

A few months into college, I took freelancing as my "full-time" job, and took every short break between classes to work. I connected with a few classmates who had parents that referred me to some new clients, and I was able to maintain a steady income stream. On my second year of college (now), I am doing full-time internship at a global software company with over 50,000 employees worldwide while still working my 2 "garbage jobs" part-time AND doing freelance work full-time (minimum of 8 hours per day). Within the next few months, I am planning to pay down payment to purchase my first house.

Now this is not meant as a "oh look at me I have such a difficult life", or a "look I'm so much better than you", or story to highlight my small accomplishments. It is simply a story that resonates with what many of the kind people here have told you; it's pretty hard to get any "decent" job without first persevering through the "garbage jobs". To be honest, I make MUCH more doing freelance work than I do at my internship. However, because many of my clientèle request non-disclosure agreements, it is difficult for it to reflect my skills as the only career-related job I have. With my internship, I am able to write (without disclosing internal "secrets") my position and have references.

Like everyone else here, I spent time writing this in the hopes that you will finally understand what may not yet make a lot of sense.
Interesting fact: The combined time these people (including myself) have spent with their posts would cost at least $500 if this was work.

If he isnt inspired by your post, he is beyond help.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Jun 18, 2012
77 posts
5 upvotes
Alberta
Manual labour or fast food joint jobs aren't as bad as you think. Yes the pay is crap and they work you for every penny but thats just how it is when you're trying to enter the job market with limited experience. While I was working towards my bachelors I worked graveyards at a warehouse during one of my summers and it wasn't fun, but it builds character and it actually made a pretty good story to my current employer who saw me as someone whose capable of adapting to new environments. And no, my current job has no relation whatsoever to that job.
[OP]
Oct 21, 2011
45 posts
BRAMPTON
Anyone know if Herbal Magic hires males for Weight loss consultants?? I've never seen a guy working there so just wondering
Oct 20, 2011
348 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
Alpina00B7 wrote: Anyone know if Herbal Magic hires males for Weight loss consultants?? I've never seen a guy working there so just wondering
What are your qualifications for this position?
[OP]
Oct 21, 2011
45 posts
BRAMPTON
qee_jo wrote: What are your qualifications for this position?
i dont have much experience or qualifications right now. But i was just wondering, cause ive always seen women working there
Mar 19, 2009
104 posts
8 upvotes
Suck it up, that's how the system was designed. You're not the only one with this problem, what made you special? I've met people who works as a Janitor but they were doctors/engineers before migrating to Canada, now do you hear them complaining about the Janitorial "degrading" job? This kind of attitude won't get you far, calling other jobs "degrading" won't help you attract employers to hire you. Change your attitude towards other "jobs" and maybe you'll get what you want. Who am I to say this, let's see, I have an IT background before my family migrated here 10 years ago, I've worked at Tims and all of these what you called "degrading" jobs, at one point I decided to change my attitude to stop looking at my current situation as if it's a problem. These "degrading" jobs improved my communication skills, customer service skills and people skills.

Now have I not met one of our regular customer at Tim's and introduced me to her company and actually got me in as a mailroom clerk (You might consider this as a degrading job too), after 2 years an opening was available internally. I applied and since I have the people skills already and I was actually a close friend to the hiring manager for a position that I wanted. I wouldn't be a Senior Lead Developer at her company right now.

All these "degrading" jobs leads you to somewhere, you are where you're suppose to be. Change your attitude, you don't land your dream job overnight, you have to work for it. Stop complaining and DO something about it.