Careers

It's almost impossible to find a decent job.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2012 1:32 pm
Dec 2, 2010
1 posts
Markham
I have a friend just like you. Except he graduated college and now believes the world should bow at his feet. Refuses to get a job at Tim's or McDonald's even though his student debt is piling up.

All I can say is good luck to you, hope the welfare lines aren't too long.
[OP]
Oct 21, 2011
45 posts
BRAMPTON
seegaret wrote: I have a friend just like you. Except he graduated college and now believes the world should bow at his feet. Refuses to get a job at Tim's or McDonald's even though his student debt is piling up.

What is the point of college, if after graduating you're going to be working at tims or mcdonalds?

What are you learning there? putting up with idiot customers, flipping a burger, making coffee, or standing on your feet for 8 hrs a day? How is learning these things gonna help me or anyone else in life?
Aug 3, 2010
154 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Alpina00B7 wrote: What is the point of college, if after graduating you're going to be working at tims or mcdonalds?

What are you learning there? putting up with idiot customers, flipping a burger, making coffee, or standing on your feet for 8 hrs a day? How is learning these things gonna help me or anyone else in life?
Kids these days shouldn't go to college. Problem solved.
Jul 28, 2005
245 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Alpina00B7 wrote: What is the point of college, if after graduating you're going to be working at tims or mcdonalds?

You're hopeless. There are 5 pages of answers to your question. And wiith this kind of attitude, I hope nobody hires you.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1195 posts
95 upvotes
seegaret wrote: I have a friend just like you. Except he graduated college and now believes the world should bow at his feet. Refuses to get a job at Tim's or McDonald's even though his student debt is piling up.

OP makes a solid point

Why should a person graduate and go work at Tim's or McDonald's? They should keep plugging away until they find a job in their field. Otherwise they risk piling irrelevant experience and wasted time on top of their existing difficulties.

Wanting, yes even expecting a job in the field you studied isn't entitlement. It's completely logical.

Look, I think the word 'degrading' was the wrong way to describe fast food jobs. They are fine, but they are earmarked for kids in high school to build experience, or people who have no post-secondary ambitions. If educated people take those jobs, then we just displace another portion of the population. Nothing gets solved. It's a simple pressure:volume relationship.

.. and welfare is done over the internet.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4539 posts
990 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Graduating from post-secondary education does not guarantee that you won't be working at tims/mcds.
Graduating from post-secondary education does not guarantee that you will land a "good" job, either.

Putting up with idiot customers = customer service, dealing with possibly irate team members/work environment.
Flipping burgers, making coffee = technical skills. There's a good and bad way of making burgers, brewing coffee. Places like Burger Priest and other such well established eateries treat their staff well, provided you have the technical skills of flipping a burger.
Standing on your feet for 8 hrs = hard working, perseverance, gets the job done. All required soft skills in today's economy and job market.

The point of going to post-secondary, is for you to develop the above said skills, as well as gain knowledge that can be applied in your job. The above skills are true and needed for any job, from working at Tims/McDs, to being the CEO of a mighty corporations.

You could, however, gain skills without going through post-secondary.

Without the above, you will not be an asset in any company.
Dec 29, 2011
124 posts
6 upvotes
THORNHILL
nyik wrote: Graduating from post-secondary education does not guarantee that you won't be working at tims/mcds.
Graduating from post-secondary education does not guarantee that you will land a "good" job, either.

Putting up with idiot customers = customer service, dealing with possibly irate team members/work environment.
Flipping burgers, making coffee = technical skills. There's a good and bad way of making burgers, brewing coffee. Places like Burger Priest and other such well established eateries treat their staff well, provided you have the technical skills of flipping a burger.
Standing on your feet for 8 hrs = hard working, perseverance, gets the job done. All required soft skills in today's economy and job market.

The point of going to post-secondary, is for you to develop the above said skills, as well as gain knowledge that can be applied in your job. The above skills are true and needed for any job, from working at Tims/McDs, to being the CEO of a mighty corporations.

You could, however, gain skills without going through post-secondary.

Without the above, you will not be an asset in any company.
It is not completely illogical for someone graduated college/uni to work in a McD or Tims. Some just fail to find jobs in the field for like 2 years for any sort of reasons. Would you rather work somewhere or keep wasting your time? Some one has to pay the bill, some one has to pay the loan.

Not saying you should work your whole life in fast food w/o searching for the right job. But it is a survival game.
Aug 3, 2010
154 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
vaportrails wrote: OP makes a solid point

Why should a person graduate and go work at Tim's or McDonald's? They should keep plugging away until they find a job in their field. Otherwise they risk piling irrelevant experience and wasted time on top of their existing difficulties.

Wanting, yes even expecting a job in the field you studied isn't entitlement. It's completely logical.

Look, I think the word 'degrading' was the wrong way to describe fast food jobs. They are fine, but they are earmarked for kids in high school to build experience, or people who have no post-secondary ambitions. If educated people take those jobs, then we just displace another portion of the population. Nothing gets solved. It's a simple pressure:volume relationship.

.. and welfare is done over the internet.
Every chump can pile up student debt and go to college now. That's part of the issue. People go to college and think "I'm too good for this job". The number of college kids has increased while the demand for skilled jobs seems to have stagnated.
Jun 13, 2004
281 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto

In the current work economy a lot of "decent" jobs are now very specialized. This requires people with the right knowledge/skill to do the job competently. In post secondary, students in their 2nd to 4th year learn these specific knowledge/skill sets cater to do these jobs.

Once you completed and graduate post secondary with a degree, you have now proven to employers that you're capable of an entry level position. Again like what others have said in this post, if your life ambition is to work at retail or a fast food chain, then college/university is not required. However, if you would like to move up the corporate ladder, higher education is always required.

Best of luck to you buddy.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3221 upvotes
Calgary
actgear wrote: In the current work economy a lot of "decent" jobs are now very specialized. This requires people with the right knowledge/skill to do the job competently. In post secondary, students in their 2nd to 4th year learn these specific knowledge/skill sets cater to do these jobs.
Yup. But then we have know-it-alls who claim that school teaches you nothing, and that engineering grads don't add any value until they've been on the job for 5 years. As general, all-encompassing statements, rather than being very specific to individuals (good or bad).

I remember being at the final design project presentations when I was in school. There was a night and day difference between the weakest projects, and the strongest. Yet when these folks went to apply to the workforce, the students with the weakest projects had the easiest time finding jobs, while the toughest, the most difficulty. Why? Because HR was mandated to hire grads cheaply into EIT positions, and the interviewers often judged that the top of the class wasn't going to be very interested in the pathetic salaries on offer.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1195 posts
95 upvotes
JuanExprales wrote: Every chump can pile up student debt and go to college now..
As opposed to what? Only the kids whose families can afford it?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9378 posts
1434 upvotes
I can't believe this thread is still going.

It's obvious the OP doesn't get it. Yes, going to university than coming out to work fast food is sort of not what going to university is about. Doing a job (which he think is degrading), while looking for something good it's the best approach. It's better than sitting at home and doing nothing.

OP, you can blame your parents for being losers who can't hook you up directly to a field of interest. This is how the way the world works now, Neoptism. You know somebody important, they hook you up with a job. Why do you think I got friends who can't speak proper English, always late for work, etc etc still has a good paying job and got hire? It's because of hook ups.

You should really read the news about how the caste system works in India, I was reading that. It's the same here, why does a high power individual let the poor people to become like them, and have them see their own offsprings fail? I don't think it's their mission to let their offsprings fail, so you can get up and replace them.

There are ideals and there is reality.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13841 posts
1337 upvotes
actgear wrote: In the current work economy a lot of "decent" jobs are now very specialized. This requires people with the right knowledge/skill to do the job competently. In post secondary, students in their 2nd to 4th year learn these specific knowledge/skill sets cater to do these jobs.
Sometimes, 2nd to 4th year is a lot of theory, depending what degree you're taking. I'm assuming you're talking about university (thus the 4th year)
Once you completed and graduate post secondary with a degree, you have now proven to employers that you're capable of an entry level position. Again like what others have said in this post, if your life ambition is to work at retail or a fast food chain, then college/university is not required. However, if you would like to move up the corporate ladder, higher education is always required.

Best of luck to you buddy.
I don't think that "moving up the corporate ladder" is necessarily why people go to university. Starting out at a decent and secure job might be one reason, but I also think that there are many, many other reasons for pursuing post-secondary education that have nothing to do with getting a job.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13841 posts
1337 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: I can't believe this thread is still going.

It's obvious the OP doesn't get it. Yes, going to university than coming out to work fast food is sort of not what going to university is about. Doing a job (which he think is degrading), while looking for something good it's the best approach. It's better than sitting at home and doing nothing.

OP, you can blame your parents for being losers who can't hook you up directly to a field of interest. This is how the way the world works now, Neoptism. You know somebody important, they hook you up with a job. Why do you think I got friends who can't speak proper English, always late for work, etc etc still has a good paying job and got hire? It's because of hook ups.

You should really read the news about how the caste system works in India, I was reading that. It's the same here, why does a high power individual let the poor people to become like them, and have them see their own offsprings fail? I don't think it's their mission to let their offsprings fail, so you can get up and replace them.

There are ideals and there is reality.
This is why we need rules in place to protect our ideals from the scourge of reality.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
Alpina00B7 wrote: Im finished high school and can't seem to find any decent job.

The only jobs being offered to me are 'door to door', telemarketing or manual/physical work, or fast food. Which i refuse to do as i find them degrading, no disrespect to those who do them.

Now im not looking for a high paying job, just a normal decent retail job. I've applied to so many jobs online, dropped off resumes in store etc but no luck.

Any ideas?
Economy has been bad for last few yrs and many university grads have not found jobs, with layoff from high tech companies, govt, etc., but the eocnomy will improve in next 6 to 12 months.

Try to make yourself appealing to employers - look, talk, education, technical knowledge, etc., ie., set yourself apart from other job applicants.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Alpina00B7 wrote: Im finished high school and can't seem to find any decent job.

The only jobs being offered to me are 'door to door', telemarketing or manual/physical work, or fast food. Which i refuse to do as i find them degrading, no disrespect to those who do them.

Now im not looking for a high paying job, just a normal decent retail job. I've applied to so many jobs online, dropped off resumes in store etc but no luck.

Any ideas?
You need a real, true motivational speaker that will tell you the truth about life.

Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
1628 posts
15751 upvotes
Summer camp counsellor positions? You get to be outdoors all day, chill with people your own age, get free food/accommodation, play sports, etc. Positives outweigh the negatives.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
167 upvotes
BD12 wrote: Summer camp counsellor positions? You get to be outdoors all day, chill with people your own age, get free food/accommodation, play sports, etc. Positives outweigh the negatives.
OP is too good for those kind of positions
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
HTTP04 wrote: OP is too good for those kind of positions
And I'm too Sexy.