Careers

It's almost impossible to find a decent job.

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2012 1:32 pm
Jr. Member
Dec 29, 2011
124 posts
6 upvotes
THORNHILL
jedi1648 wrote: Economy has been bad for last few yrs and many university grads have not found jobs, with layoff from high tech companies, govt, etc., but the eocnomy will improve in next 6 to 12 months.

Try to make yourself appealing to employers - look, talk, education, technical knowledge, etc., ie., set yourself apart from other job applicants.
Jedi1648, I wish what you say is becoming true about the coming 6 to 12 months. But what is the source of this piece of news?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 27, 2005
2086 posts
500 upvotes
Scarborough
Nothing is happening in the next 6-12 months and with RIM laying off thousands of people out in Waterloo... expect more competition with more experienced people from various fields, not just tech.

Toronto job market is sh** and has been sh** for the past few years. Pay is crap and expectations are unreal due to excessive competition and limited job positions. It's easier to get a good paying job out west in Alberta, Sask or down in the USA in my field (IT) than it is in Toronto.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
xt21 wrote: Nothing is happening in the next 6-12 months and with RIM laying off thousands of people out in Waterloo... expect more competition with more experienced people from various fields, not just tech.

Toronto job market is sh** and has been sh** for the past few years. Pay is crap and expectations are unreal due to excessive competition and limited job positions. It's easier to get a good paying job out west in Alberta, Sask or down in the USA in my field (IT) than it is in Toronto.
You do know the Unemployment rate in the US ? In Toronto you got the wrong people who know nothing, hiring.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2764 posts
178 upvotes
WildWolf wrote: You do know the Unemployment rate in the US ? In Toronto you got the wrong people who know nothing, hiring.
I'm one of those consultants in the US from Toronto. Trust me, the unemployment rate if anything is more in blue-collar and finance then in IT/Systems which is still decent leaving many employers to still resort to contractors from Canada and India to fill gaps.

IMO there are just many people in Toronto that do not want to leave the city for work and are limiting themselves to just GTA. In this particular case, that is their own problem. If they have no choice to either travel or leave Toronto, they can work at Target in the meantime :) .
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 27, 2005
2086 posts
500 upvotes
Scarborough
Yes I know the unemployment rate in USA is high, but if you have experience and skills you can land a job with no issues.

I was able to get 3 job offers from NY and Michigan for $65K in the last 3 months alone vs absolutely nothing in Toronto. In Toronto, employers would never call me back for another interview if i mentioned i wanted 55K or higher.

I eventually selected a job with the federal gov in Ottawa because I like to maintain my Canadian lifestyle. Its much easier to find work in USA.

WildWolf wrote: You do know the Unemployment rate in the US ? In Toronto you got the wrong people who know nothing, hiring.
Jr. Member
Dec 29, 2011
124 posts
6 upvotes
THORNHILL
xt21 wrote: Yes I know the unemployment rate in USA is high, but if you have experience and skills you can land a job with no issues.

I was able to get 3 job offers from NY and Michigan for $65K in the last 3 months alone vs absolutely nothing in Toronto. In Toronto, employers would never call me back for another interview if i mentioned i wanted 55K or higher.

I eventually selected a job with the federal gov in Ottawa because I like to maintain my Canadian lifestyle. Its much easier to find work in USA.
I read earlier about the economic growth in Ottawa, specially Gatineau region? However the federal gov is def competitive to get into and they are soon going to make some lay offs. Is there any particular sector (high tech, IT, healthcare, pharmaceutical...etc) that you are currently witnessing in Ottawa that are actually doing well?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 27, 2005
2086 posts
500 upvotes
Scarborough
I can't really comment on which sector is growing, but I joined the Federal Government on the IT sector on a one year term. I do know that the Gatineau area is growing very fast mostly due to very cheap rent and all the family benefits and perks offered by Quebec such as childcare... etc. I personally would not live in Gatienau because I am on my own and Quebec tax rates are slightly higher than Ontario's.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10154 posts
2731 upvotes
Unemployment rate in Edmonton is around 4.5%. Now hiring signs everywhere. We have been trying to hire a helpdesk analyst(in our Calgary office) for weeks now, most resumes are absolute crap.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
137 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote: Unemployment rate in Edmonton is around 4.5%. Now hiring signs everywhere. We have been trying to hire a helpdesk analyst(in our Calgary office) for weeks now, most resumes are absolute crap.
The problem is no one wants to move to the West. Everyone thinks it's a place for outlaws and cowboys, riding with their sombrero towards the sunset.

Or like natives fighting polar bears with harpoons through harsh winters.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
3615 posts
49 upvotes
Unemployment in 20-24 age category is at highest it had ever been since StatCan started record keeping.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
xt21 wrote: Yes I know the unemployment rate in USA is high, but if you have experience and skills you can land a job with no issues.

I was able to get 3 job offers from NY and Michigan for $65K in the last 3 months alone vs absolutely nothing in Toronto. In Toronto, employers would never call me back for another interview if i mentioned i wanted 55K or higher.

I eventually selected a job with the federal gov in Ottawa because I like to maintain my Canadian lifestyle. Its much easier to find work in USA.
I wouldn't say that's the case for everyone, or rather for the majority.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 27, 2005
2086 posts
500 upvotes
Scarborough
There's also the fact that most people are so settled into their lifestyles here in Toronto, only a few are willing to take the jump and re-locate to Alberta. If you're single and in your 20s or 30s... this would be a perfect opportunity to make lots of money and save up! Calgary will be my next target once my time in Ottawa is up.
Rainne wrote: The problem is no one wants to move to the West. Everyone thinks it's a place for outlaws and cowboys, riding with their sombrero towards the sunset.

Or like natives fighting polar bears with harpoons through harsh winters.

Top