It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2021 9:41 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4702 posts
621 upvotes

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I've been re-watching this show on Disney+ and its still very funny. The humor of the earlier episodes still holds up and it's amazing how the characters have changed very little from season 1.

I was re-watching the episode where Dee and Charlie eat human meat and they go to the Chinese supermarket to buy all sorts of meats to replicate the taste and Charlie suggests they buy monkey meat because "Monkeys are like nature's humans."

Charlie is one of the best characters in a comedy show IMO.

Also saw a tweet from one of the guys from the gang that they intend to get really weird with the new season. Cant wait.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
Greenman...... He got me through some tough times.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
May 22, 2009
705 posts
1482 upvotes
Canada
oh this is a fantastic show. Only one that I know of to get a 4 season renewal. I mean almost no show that I can think of, maybe except for the simpsons, even get multiple year renewals. I don't think they will ever stop making this show unless of course Devito passes :S None of the characters change or grow either. Ya know eventually in most shows the character will find love, get married have kids or grow and change but not Always sunny. Dennis still drives a 90's landrover. Even after the gang destroys it, he goes out and gets the EXACT same car to replace it. After over a decade Charlie still has a thing for the waitress and she STILL won't go out with him.
-
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4702 posts
621 upvotes
pwned.u wrote: oh this is a fantastic show. Only one that I know of to get a 4 season renewal. I mean almost no show that I can think of, maybe except for the simpsons, even get multiple year renewals. I don't think they will ever stop making this show unless of course Devito passes :S None of the characters change or grow either. Ya know eventually in most shows the character will find love, get married have kids or grow and change but not Always sunny. Dennis still drives a 90's landrover. Even after the gang destroys it, he goes out and gets the EXACT same car to replace it. After over a decade Charlie still has a thing for the waitress and she STILL won't go out with him.
I've seen many of Rob Mcelhenney's interviews and in most of them he states is that the secret to the success of this show is exactly that. That the characters never grow or learn. He said he loved to watch Friends, a show where everyone is always there for each other. And he wanted to create a show where the friends were never there for each other.
May 22, 2009
705 posts
1482 upvotes
Canada
xpoint9 wrote: I've seen many of Rob Mcelhenney's interviews and in most of them he states is that the secret to the success of this show is exactly that. That the characters never grow or learn. He said he loved to watch Friends, a show where everyone is always there for each other. And he wanted to create a show where the friends were never there for each other.
I think a strong part of what makes Always Sunny great is how unique and varied every episode is. Their wild antics and exploits are usually original and so wild and crazy. The only 'repeat' episodes I can think of are the Wade Bogs challenge where they try to drink the most beers on a flight, the second time around with women only.... and the board game they created, I think they played a second time.

Yeah and they are never there for each other. A perfect example is when a new movie they are dying to see comes out, was it 'thunder gun'? Anyway they head there in a car and one by one abandon each other until they are all trying to get to the theatre on their own only to meet up back together in the theatre. They are a group of depraved and horrible people. There is no 'straight' guy, the normal one that points our every one else's horrible ways.
-
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
3872 posts
1874 upvotes
Toronto
I've met Charlie Day in person due to work and thought he was kinda short. I'd say around 5'5 or 5'6. Then it had me thinking. What is Danny Devito's height?!
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17434 posts
12787 upvotes
Toronto
You don't have to meet the guy in person to see he's the shortest of the cast (not including DeVito -- maybe even stevens if Kaitlin w/o heels)

Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
One of the more remarkable things about this show is the subtle broad appeal.
Is the show funny because the characters are amusing caricatures, or because people can relate to some of the terrible things they do to each other?
I guess I've wondered - what is the experience for a viewer who idolises the D.E.N.N.I.S. system, and doesn't get that the show/actors are making fun of twisted sociopaths?

Hard to believe that this show started back when CRT TV dimensions were the norm, and that Frank only appeared in S2. Kudos to Devito for throwing himself out there.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5280 posts
4939 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Great show, so non-PC and ridiculous. So much so that it's fantastic.

Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
It is a bunch of subversive people doing a show their way.

With some changes, it would be more mainstream. But they don't want to tone it down, they want to do it their way. Hats off to them!
1734 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: Lol, this show is awesome……

Like a Seinfeld type of show but on steroids - more neurotic, loud, raunchy & rude…..

The characters and the actors playing are wonderful…..

Cracks me up every time…..love it
I’m watching this show for the first time because of how much it’s talked about on Reddit. Love it.

Your comparison to Seinfeld makes sense but to me it is much closer to Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4702 posts
621 upvotes
goob3r wrote: I’m watching this show for the first time because of how much it’s talked about on Reddit. Love it.

Your comparison to Seinfeld makes sense but to me it is much closer to Curb Your Enthusiasm.

its not even addressed that there are two Jerrys. I can imagine the argument/fight that took place between Mac and Dennis each wanting to be Jerry and this is the compromise they came up with.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
Not gonna lie. Since watching, whenever I have met a Gail, I carefully and discretely look for a salt shaker, just in case.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5280 posts
4939 upvotes
Southern Ontario
goob3r wrote: I’m watching this show for the first time because of how much it’s talked about on Reddit. Love it.

I don't see the comparison to either of those shows but it has it's own draw. Those other two shows wouldn't touch the topics that Sunny does. That's my .02.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
Gibsons wrote: I don't see the comparison to either of those shows but it has it's own draw. Those other two shows wouldn't touch the topics that Sunny does. That's my .02.
Seinfeld obviously influenced the younger members of the gang.
Sunny is like taking Seinfeld (a show about terrible people) to a much higher plateau of terribleness, without bothering to speckle redemptive features.
The big difference is Sunny was not made by a major primetime Network, which is what really allowed them to explore many creepier things.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4702 posts
621 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: I don't see the comparison to either of those shows but it has it's own draw. Those other two shows wouldn't touch the topics that Sunny does. That's my .02.
its a mix of shows and you can see what part of sunny; the other shows have influenced. It's got the "its a show about nothing" of Seinfeld. The vulgarity and the straightforwardness of Larry David from Curb and their own mix character traits that tie this whole show together. And yes I agree that it is more closer to Curb because Larry doesn't shy away from tackling sensitive matter. Like this clip:

Sunny does the same thing with Franks beauties

Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8297 upvotes
Toronto
xpoint9 wrote: its a mix of shows and you can see what part of sunny; the other shows have influenced. It's got the "its a show about nothing" of Seinfeld. The vulgarity and the straightforwardness of Larry David from Curb and their own mix character traits that tie this whole show together. And yes I agree that it is more closer to Curb because Larry doesn't shy away from tackling sensitive matter. Like this clip:

Sunny does the same thing with Franks beauties

Absolutely - with the big distinction being that Curb was made for HBO, which had a far less stringent leash on Larry David. If Seinfeld would have been made on HBO, it would have been way more edgy. Late 80's early 90's primetime peek edginess was the risque of the Seinfeld masterbation episode. Loved how Sunny parodied it.

HBO really revolutionised TV. I'll never forget how blown away I was when I first watched the Larry Sanders Show.

With this all said - at least in Canada, we had a true outlier for edgy comedy on CBC - Kids In The Hall.
At a time where homosexuality was still very much taboo, they really pushed the envelope.