[OP]
Jan 24, 2010
378 posts
401 upvotes
Canada

[iTunes] Batman Event (Animated, Beyond, Brave & Bold & 66' TV Show) UPDATE

Deal Link:
Price:
It must be Batman Day or something ... found all the shows at a very decent price.

Batman: The Complete Animated Series - $49.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series - $29.99

Batman: The Complete Series - $49.99

Justice League: The Complete Series - $29.99

Batman 4 Film Collection $19.99

Batman 80th Anniversary Collection - $39.99 (credit Coolcicada)

Justice League Unlimited: The Complete Series $14.99
Last edited by mkm999 on Jul 20th, 2021 3:01 am, edited 7 times in total.
41 replies
May 30, 2019
25 posts
14 upvotes
Best episode is when the Joker believes someone killed Batman and he becomes incredibly angry with the guy he suspects did it and so deposits the individual in a pool of acid. lol
Aug 17, 2008
271 posts
1054 upvotes
great price. I paid WAY too much money for the special edition box set when it was finally released a few years ago... don't regret it at all... but still paid way too much money :)
Jan 2, 2017
414 posts
448 upvotes
Great series. Kind of wish the series was on Netflix, amazon prime or Disney plus, for those who just wanna to see it as opposed to owning it
Sep 29, 2010
464 posts
618 upvotes
ziaa wrote: with itunes you can watch it without owning it too Face With Tears Of Joy

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-la ... 02282.html
This kind of awareness makes me happy.

If it can be taken away at the whim of some sort digital rights manager (or at their disintegration), you never actually own it.

Call me nuts, but I only buy hard copy or DRM-free. Too many bankruptcies, closures, mergers, obsolence, etc for me to every pay for a digital product that isn't DRM free.
Jun 7, 2009
253 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
Old Wounds.JPG
There isn't a best episode of this show - there can only be a favourite! Above they mentioned S2E23 - The Man who Killed Batman, mine is S4E18 - Old Wounds where it (finally) explains why Robin left Batman to become Nightwing. They did a time jump and redid all the character models (Drake as the new Robin) for the last season and everyone thought they missed the episode(s) explaining the changes. (This was the dark ages before the web existed to explain things.) Turns out there was a limited run comic the explained the interim, but as a kid how were you to know that?

iTunes has the more recent cleaned up and rescanned version used for the BluRay release. Just looking at the 30sec clip for S1E1 that's available shows a much cleaner and crisper colour than my DVD rips from beforehand. And yeah, it's completely legal in Canada as long as it's for home use and you still own the discs (can't buy, rip and then sell the discs). Was going to suggest using a VPN and do the DC Universe streaming service, but they recently closed down all the video and are switching it over to HBO Max, so it's now just a comics app.
Jun 7, 2009
253 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
Justice League: The Complete Series is "complete" for the series that just focuses on the original 7! Ending when the Thanagarians come and Hawkgirl's secret is revealed (there are 52 episodes). S1 is 4:3, S2 is 16:9.

Justice League: Unlimited is the direct sequel where they open up the membership to anyone with a cape (there are 39 episodes). Can get confusing because sometimes the 1st 26 episodes are lumped into being called S1, and the last 13 are labelled S2 - other times each 13 episode run is a season (thereby having S1, S2 & S3). Whole thing is 16:9.

The 26th episode Epilogue was supposed to be the final episode (the network ordered another season which Timm and crew weren't expecting) and makes such a wonderful bookend to the Batman animated universe. If you haven't seen it, don't watch until you have watched Batman Beyond. I remember watching it with my jaw dropped the entire time and mind being blown as it gave the perfect ending to Batman Beyond (which was never allowed since it was cancelled) and perfectly wrapped Batman in the Animated Universe (Terry flying through the clouds just as Man-Bat did way back in the pilot/ test episode "On Leather Wings")!
Dec 14, 2020
34 posts
20 upvotes
My favorite is "Almost Got 'Im". This is such a good show.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
20766 posts
6581 upvotes
Bought the 1966 series Blu Ray set from Target before they went under. Had to get some replacement discs from CBS but otherwise, fantastic set. Was missing the car toy but got the $299 box set for under $40! They were going to "dispose of it" before I convinced them to sell it to me as I already had the Hot Wheels car...
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
1526 posts
2076 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
Great deal, have all them already but god damn...this era was the PEAK of DC Animation, no doubt...possibly the peak of all DC tv/movie attempts.

DC Cinematic Universe wishes they could be this revered lol, such a missed opportunity.
Jul 13, 2011
574 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
The Canterbury Tail wrote: What you don't immediately rip any "purchased" content to strip the DRM and put it on your Plex server?
can you provide a hint at a reasonable program for this?
Jul 13, 2011
574 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
pdipps wrote: This kind of awareness makes me happy.

If it can be taken away at the whim of some sort digital rights manager (or at their disintegration), you never actually own it.

Call me nuts, but I only buy hard copy or DRM-free. Too many bankruptcies, closures, mergers, obsolence, etc for me to every pay for a digital product that isn't DRM free.
Devil's Advocate, but you do own something. You own the access to the media with all it limitations, until such a time its no longer available, such as the examples you provided. These limitations should be factored into the value to the consumer.

I agree that this situation sucks and I would rather pay a premium to own physical copies, even though they will at some point become obsolete or damaged.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
1464 posts
787 upvotes
Etobicoke
I think the 60's show was $20 last year. Was tempted to buy it but figured I wouldn't have the time nor inclination to watch it.
Jun 7, 2009
253 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
Legally, you don't "own" anything when you buy the iTunes/ Play Store/ etc version, you're just given a "license" in order to access it.
ertmanius wrote: can you provide a hint at a reasonable program for this?
Use makeMKV for ripping and decrypting: takes about 20min for a full DVD. I have 4 disc drives connected to my computer - full size 5.25' drives SATA powered, not USB powered ones - when I want to rip stuff. Use Handbrake for compressing: h264 is used for SD (and also for HD), h265 is used for HD/4K.

Don't bother using the built in chip in your gaming video card (it's an option in Handbrake). First, it's just a separate chip and doesn't leverage the power of your GPU: a 1050 will be just as fast as a 1080! Second, it's designed for recording gameplay, not data saving compression efficiency: so you'll get great encode speeds (450 frames/sec) but only a 10% savings of data. Using my nearly decade old i5-3570k CPU instead I get about 40-50 fps and between 25-50% savings of data (depends on material). Just let it compress overnight: your CPU usage will be 100%.

My recommend settings are use MKV as the package format, keep the same fps, keep one of the multichannel audios (Dolby over DTS) and one stereo mix (assuming there's numerous to choose from), get rid of the subtitles/ dubbed languages (it's for my home use so I don't need them... unless it's a foreign language movie).

Under the Video tab I use:
Video Codec "H.264"
FPS "Same as source" Constant Framerate
Encoder Preset: 1 notch above "Very Slow"
Encoder Tune: "Film"
Encoder Profile: "High" Encoder "3.1"
Advanced Options: "ref=5:bframes=5"
Constant Quality: 21 RF

That's enough to get you started on building up your Plex server.
Jul 13, 2011
574 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
matt2_m416 wrote: Legally, you don't "own" anything when you buy the iTunes/ Play Store/ etc version, you're just given a "license" in order to access it.

Use makeMKV for ripping and decrypting: takes about 20min for a full DVD. I have 4 disc drives connected to my computer - full size 5.25' drives SATA powered, not USB powered ones - when I want to rip stuff. Use Handbrake for compressing: h264 is used for SD (and also for HD), h265 is used for HD/4K.

Don't bother using the built in chip in your gaming video card (it's an option in Handbrake). First, it's just a separate chip and doesn't leverage the power of your GPU: a 1050 will be just as fast as a 1080! Second, it's designed for recording gameplay, not data saving compression efficiency: so you'll get great encode speeds (450 frames/sec) but only a 10% savings of data. Using my nearly decade old i5-3570k CPU instead I get about 40-50 fps and between 25-50% savings of data (depends on material). Just let it compress overnight: your CPU usage will be 100%.

My recommend settings are use MKV as the package format, keep the same fps, keep one of the multichannel audios (Dolby over DTS) and one stereo mix (assuming there's numerous to choose from), get rid of the subtitles/ dubbed languages (it's for my home use so I don't need them... unless it's a foreign language movie).

Under the Video tab I use:
Video Codec "H.264"
FPS "Same as source" Constant Framerate
Encoder Preset: 1 notch above "Very Slow"
Encoder Tune: "Film"
Encoder Profile: "High" Encoder "3.1"
Advanced Options: "ref=5:bframes=5"
Constant Quality: 21 RF

That's enough to get you started on building up your Plex server.
Thanks for your time writing this. I have had a Plex server for years and stick with a lossless MKV output. However, my question to the other poster was about how he manages non-physical media.