• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2020 9:29 am
14 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4476 posts
2502 upvotes
Good price!

I got this Blu-ray set from Amazon UK for cheap as I like to have it physically in case digital disappears for whatever reason.

97301DF6-A63A-4E83-A289-5CE76BA2759C.png
CPU: Intel i7-7700K @4.5GHz | GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 | RAM: ADATA XPG DDR4 3000MHz 24GB | SSD: WD Black 512GB NVMe | Mobo: ASUS STRIX Z270E | Case: COUGAR PANZER | Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 |Monitor: 2 x HP 27es 27" IPS LCD
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4581 posts
1956 upvotes
Ottawa
Every other one is good. ST 2, 4, 6, and 8 (First Contact) are worth watching. IMO, the others are exclusively for Trekkers.

I remember going to see the first ST movie in a theatre back in the day (late 70s). After the film, the group I was with concluded that while it was good to see the crew and ship back together, the movie was a letdown. The sequel, The Wrath of Khan, on the other hand, was entertaining and frankly might endure as the high point of the franchise - I am not sure it's been eclipsed since. After the reboot 10 years ago, the films have been more consistent and certainly have better production values but the crew of the original series and even NG had a history together - and with the audience - that I think aided their enjoyability. It would be interesting to see some of the TOS crewed films through the eyes of a younger person who sees Chris Pine as Kirk.

Is it worth $20 for digital copies that you have to play through Apple? Yes, if you're a completist and/or haven't seen some of the franchise installments and you really want to.

My 2 cents.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16959 posts
6124 upvotes
"You see, money doesn't exist in the 24th century. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity."
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Oct 14, 2017
763 posts
817 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: "You see, money doesn't exist in the 24th century. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity."
Star Trek: First Contact! My favourite of them all.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16959 posts
6124 upvotes
xtrmDeals wrote: Star Trek: First Contact! My favourite of them all.
Dec 24, 2018
4 posts
5 upvotes
I bought the blu ray box last year for $35 so it's a really good deal!

I rewatched all the movies on the blu ray with "fresh eyes" as I hadn't seen them in a long time and some of them I never had seen before. I am by no means a hardcore Trekkie, but here is what I think.

I really like 1 (director's cut), mostly for nostalgia though, because it's slow af, but it's still pretty good. Wrath of Khan is the best by far and worth the $20 alone if you ask me. 3,4 and 6 are still good too.

Generations I also have a lot of nostalgia for and it's good, but it has it's issues. As far as TNG movies go the only one I really don't like is Insurrection.

All in all it's a pretty good price and I think you can't go wrong.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4758 posts
230 upvotes
Winnipeg
fruitpunch.ben wrote: Don’t know how good these old movies are, but this seems like a good deal for 10 movies!
Does Apple have a perpetual licenses for all the media on iTunes?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1635 posts
487 upvotes
First Contact is $17.99 bought alone...$2 more for the rest! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1178 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So these are all 1080p HD with 5.1 audio, correct? No 4K HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos? Any special features? Thanks!
Aug 28, 2009
41 posts
14 upvotes
Vaudreuil-Dorion
Good price! Thanks OP
Mar 20, 2009
175 posts
178 upvotes
cipher wrote: Does Apple have a perpetual licenses for all the media on iTunes?
Sometimes apple remove content from itunes store. You will not be able to buy it. But if you already bought it, you can stream it and download it anyway.

Exemple : I own Three Amigos! ( MGM movie ) . I am able to stream it or download it. Right now it is not for sale or rent on itunes but still able to stream or download it.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
4087 posts
797 upvotes
Scarborough
Quentin5 wrote: "You see, money doesn't exist in the 24th century. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity."

People turned communist? Well, with technology going where it is, I wouldn't be surprised.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
16959 posts
6124 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote: People turned communist? Well, with technology going where it is, I wouldn't be surprised.
They developed the technology to make material needs obsolete.