Students

Ivey or Schulich?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2011 2:32 pm

Poll: Ivey or Schulich?

• Total votes: 60. You have voted on this poll.
Ivey

45%
Schulich

28%
Rotman

13%
Other

13%
Jul 9, 2011
6 posts
SCARBOROUGH

Ivey or Schulich?

I'm going to University in 2012 but I'm still trying to figure out which ones to apply for. I was dead set on Schulich for a long time, mostly because I saw the average you needed to get into it and I guess I thought it was really prestigious or something. But with more research, I'm also developing an interest in Ivey. UofT is my third choice.

My favourite subject is English and if possible, I'd love to double major but I've heard most of these Business programs are really intensive. I have an 85 in Advanced Functions, which is not really as high as I would have liked. I'm taking Data management in summer school, will that be a problem for universities? I've heard they dislike summer school.

I'm interested in Management Consultant or Marketing. I'm not sure which one I should go into yet. Do either of the universities have stand out programs for those areas? If anyone could just tell me the pros and cons of each university, it would be greatly appreciated.
28 replies
Banned
Dec 3, 2009
1291 posts
23 upvotes
Why don't you apply for all of them, wait to see if you get in, and them come back to ask.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
3854 posts
374 upvotes
Queens for consulting, Ivey for IBanking, Rotman for Entrepreneurship/Accounting. Schulich... Not much good outside of Canada.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
3854 posts
374 upvotes
Not sure which school is the best for marketing... I'd guess Ivey or Queens, but that isn't one of the most sought after career paths for BComs/BBAs.

My personal recommendation would be to start your undergraduate studies at either Queens or Rotman. Take 2 yrs of courses and see if you enjoy the environment/teaching material & methodologies. If not, then it's never too late to transfer to Ivey's HBA after 2nd year.
Sep 9, 2009
324 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Consulting and marketing require exemplary people skills. Chances are you won't learn as much of that in a commuter school, which eliminates UT and Schulich.

I'm biased as I went to Ivey but due to the strength of the alumni network alone you'll have opportunities and contacts available that you'll otherwise have to work very, very hard for if you went to Schulich.
Not to mention the 5-day a week case study method, which grades 33%+ of your GPA on communicating and presenting your ideas.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
3854 posts
374 upvotes
Laphroaig wrote: Consulting and marketing require exemplary people skills. Chances are you won't learn as much of that in a commuter school, which eliminates UT and Schulich.

I'm biased as I went to Ivey but due to the strength of the alumni network alone you'll have opportunities and contacts available that you'll otherwise have to work very, very hard for if you went to Schulich.
Not to mention the 5-day a week case study method, which grades 33%+ of your GPA on communicating and presenting your ideas.

Rotman has a solid business program that's gaining ranks amongst the undergraduate crowd. However, like I said, it'd be best for the OP to register for Queen's for the first couple of years and then see if he/she has the desire to transfer into the HBA program...
Oct 17, 2008
148 posts
Ivey for consulting, Schulich for marketing.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
167 upvotes
Terrific_Deals2k8 wrote: Queens for consulting, Ivey for IBanking, Rotman for Entrepreneurship/Accounting. Schulich... Not much good outside of Canada.

I have to say UofT is good for consulting as well

Alot of Rotman MBA grads get into consulting after...but then again this is rotman mba
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Oct 6, 2005
175 posts
9 upvotes
Go to Ivey, if you have the chance. You won't regret it. The only other one you should consider is Queen's. For the best recruiting prospects, choose Ivey.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
167 upvotes
Honestly, you cant go wrong with either choice

Just apply and accept to whichever you get into...
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3376 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
HTTP04 wrote: Honestly, you cant go wrong with either choice

Just apply and accept to whichever you get into...

+1
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
1099 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
I voted "Other". I think Queen's BCom is #1 for undergraduate marketing, then #2 Ivey HBA, then #3 Schulich BBA, then #4 Rotman BCom.
Mar 27, 2010
89 posts
9 upvotes
Vaughan
Ivey and Queen's are the only real business schools in Canada. Apply to Queen's Commerce. At QC, you will take Marketing I and II in 1st/2nd year, and at other schools, they don't touch marketing until 2nd/3rd year. After 2 years at QC and you want to purse marketing (P&G, Unilever, Mars, J&J, etc), then stay at QC since marketing recruiting at QC is pretty good.

But if you want to do management accounting, you should transfer over the Ivey for the recruitment opportunities (2~3 section of HBA places the same amount of students in MBB consultancies as a Queen's Commerce year)
Jul 9, 2011
6 posts
SCARBOROUGH
IB14 wrote: Ivey and Queen's are the only real business schools in Canada. Apply to Queen's Commerce. At QC, you will take Marketing I and II in 1st/2nd year, and at other schools, they don't touch marketing until 2nd/3rd year. After 2 years at QC and you want to purse marketing (P&G, Unilever, Mars, J&J, etc), then stay at QC since marketing recruiting at QC is pretty good.

But if you want to do management accounting, you should transfer over the Ivey for the recruitment opportunities (2~3 section of HBA places the same amount of students in MBB consultancies as a Queen's Commerce year)

Thanks that's really helpful! :D
By management accounting, do you mean management consulting?
Mar 27, 2010
89 posts
9 upvotes
Vaughan
WarmAutumn wrote: Thanks that's really helpful! :D
By management accounting, do you mean management consulting?

lmao yeahh, typo
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
81 upvotes
Pick between Queen's or Ivey if you have the chance. Don't make the same mistake I did and turn both of them down. ;)
Jul 9, 2011
6 posts
SCARBOROUGH
tng11 wrote: Pick between Queen's or Ivey if you have the chance. Don't make the same mistake I did and turn both of them down. ;)

:O Just curious, what did you turn them down for?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
167 upvotes
tng11 wrote: Pick between Queen's or Ivey if you have the chance. Don't make the same mistake I did and turn both of them down. ;)

It couldnt have been worse than my choice

UTSC over Queen's fml
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Jul 9, 2011
6 posts
SCARBOROUGH
HTTP04 wrote: It couldnt have been worse than my choice

UTSC over Queen's fml

Aww :(
Why don't you transfer then?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
WarmAutumn wrote: Aww :(
Why don't you transfer then?

QC accepts very few transfer students. You need an exceptional average and essay to be admitted.