Expired Hot Deals

JA Henckels Twin Four Star 7 Piece Cutlery Set - $144.46 US + Shipping - Wayfair.com

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2011 1:12 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20236 posts
13558 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

JA Henckels Twin Four Star 7 Piece Cutlery Set - $144.46 US + Shipping - Wayfair.com

It's been a while since anyone has posted a good knife set deal so I found something similar to one I found last year - Henckels 4 Star 7-piece knife Block set for $144.46US on Clearance + shipping (and yes they do ship to Canada) - regular price $549.99 US. According to the website, there are 48 available at this price.

NB. The regular priced link denotes free shipping but that's the to the US. Since you need to pay for shipping to Canada anyway, the clearance deal is a much better deal. Also, due to the fact that they also list the same set at a higher price (non-clearance), there might be some cosmetic difference in the packaging or the block (see comment on website) - I don't know for sure as I haven't ordered a set. I ordered a set from one of the previous deals I posted below so I don't need another one! :D

For a discussion on similar sets, please see my earlier post - http://forums.redflagdeals.com/henckel- ... om-953363/ and http://forums.redflagdeals.com/henckels ... om-758986/. Note that there is one less piece, no coupons but $5 cheaper than last year. :twisted: :-0

Set Includes:

4" Paring Knife
5" Serrated/Utility Knife
5" Santoku Knife
8" Chef's Knife
9" Sharpening Steel
Kitchen Shears
Hardwood Block

Features:

SIGMAFORGE® one-piece construction
Laser-controlled edge is sharper and stays sharper longer because it has a more consistent blade angle
Friodur® ice-hardened steel has maximum no-stain properties and more blade strength
Full horizontal tang without rivets designed for balance
Handwash recommended

No pictures this time as the website doesn't allow for direct linking of the images.

As I've said in the original two postings, before anyone starts with a "don't by a knife set because you won't use half of the pieces" argument, you need to remember that it works out to less than $30 US a piece... The 5-in. Santoku HE Knife is worth $80 - http://www.cutleryandmore.com/henckels- ... ife-p17990- and the 8-in. Chef's Knife is worth $100 - http://www.cutleryandmore.com/henckels- ... nife-p1201
13 replies
Mar 19, 2010
475 posts
23 upvotes
clearance for wayfair means its been returned
Mar 19, 2010
475 posts
23 upvotes
non-clearance price is about normal; that is, it is found in a few places.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7187 posts
2856 upvotes
Calgary
I normally love JA Henckels but as I was reading the only review I began to feel this set questionable:

Delivery was prompt. Packaging was excellent. Product quality is superior. I specifically ordered at this site to get the pictured block, but alas a different block with multiple extra slots is what was delivered. Alexis' responses were usually fast and always polite, but after exchanging ten emails and not hearing anything now for more than a week, I give up. All I wanted to know is if the item that is pictured is available. Responsiveness and politeness are great, but it comes down to the fact that customer service was ultimately unable to answer a seemingly simple and reasonable question. Do you carry the product pictured?

BOTTOM LINE No, I wouldn't recommend this to a friend.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20236 posts
13558 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
coopercold wrote: Yes, Wayfair ships to Canada -- except for clearance merchandise! This "deal" is, um, not a deal at all -- it's a nonstarter.

Look again... According to the webpage, this item ships to Canada.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20236 posts
13558 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
althetrainer wrote: I normally love JA Henckels but as I was reading the only review I began to feel this set questionable:

Delivery was prompt. Packaging was excellent. Product quality is superior. I specifically ordered at this site to get the pictured block, but alas a different block with multiple extra slots is what was delivered. Alexis' responses were usually fast and always polite, but after exchanging ten emails and not hearing anything now for more than a week, I give up. All I wanted to know is if the item that is pictured is available. Responsiveness and politeness are great, but it comes down to the fact that customer service was ultimately unable to answer a seemingly simple and reasonable question. Do you carry the product pictured?

BOTTOM LINE No, I wouldn't recommend this to a friend.

Most people don't buy a knife set for the look of the block... they buy it for the quality of the knives. :D

Besides, most blocks have few extra slots...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20236 posts
13558 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
klp2332 wrote: clearance for wayfair means its been returned

I purchased another clearance knife from wayfair a year ago and it came in great condition - almost brand new in the box (a strap that held the knife to the gift box was removed).

Besides, 48 sets tells me that they probably got a package deal from someone (maybe Henckels themselves).
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like a decent deal, decieving, but agreed that the review (not as pictured) puts a bitter taste in my mouth.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20236 posts
13558 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jltapawan wrote: how durable are these?

A good set of quality knives will last you years or decades, if they are properly cared for - hand washing, proper cutting boards (no glass or fibreglass!), and the occasional sharpening by someone who knows what they are doing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20236 posts
13558 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
BlueStar wrote: looks like the santoku is only 5"?

Still a good deal considering that the chef knife and the santoku are worth $180 US by themselves.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
6644 posts
900 upvotes
Ottawa
How does this deal compare to the two previous deals you posted in the other two threads.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20236 posts
13558 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rivet wrote: How does this deal compare to the two previous deals you posted in the other two threads.

Honestly, the other deals were probably better as they included one more piece (a small peeling knife probably worth about $20) and the santoku knife was larger at a slightly higher price. However, there are two things wrong with comparing this deal with the previous ones:

1. You can probably make do with using the paring knife to peel with so it's not that great of a loss;
2. You can't get the other deals anymore ;)

Other than that they are very similar....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)