Off Topic

Japan government gives 100,000 yen cash handout to all

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2020 7:40 pm
[OP]
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
644 upvotes

Japan government gives 100,000 yen cash handout to all

The Japanese government is considering whether to extend 100,000 yen ($933 USD) each to all people regardless of income as part of efforts to cushion the economic impact of the coronavirus crisis, officials said Wednesday.

The government has already decided to give 300,000 yen to households suffering from income drops due to the spread of the coronavirus as part of the country's largest-ever 108 trillion yen economic stimulus package. But critics say the scheme is not clear-cut in terms of which households are eligible.

When the stimulus package was put together, Komeito proposed a program to give 100,000 yen each to people hit by income falls but it was not included.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020 ... o-all.html


My Japanese friends are happy to hear that.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5126 posts
2743 upvotes
They need to because Wagyu beef is so expensive
Sr. Member
Jan 30, 2013
818 posts
139 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Sgtalpowell wrote: The Japanese government is considering whether to extend 100,000 yen ($933 USD) each to all people regardless of income as part of efforts to cushion the economic impact of the coronavirus crisis, officials said Wednesday.

The government has already decided to give 300,000 yen to households suffering from income drops due to the spread of the coronavirus as part of the country's largest-ever 108 trillion yen economic stimulus package. But critics say the scheme is not clear-cut in terms of which households are eligible.

When the stimulus package was put together, Komeito proposed a program to give 100,000 yen each to people hit by income falls but it was not included.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020 ... o-all.html


My Japanese friends are happy to hear that.
where is the link to get this into my TD account??? Is it something like CERB? Apply get money 2 days later?
Jr. Member
Aug 2, 2018
150 posts
93 upvotes
applies to any Japanese national or just Japanese taxpayers?
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 11, 2014
4098 posts
4431 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
If it helps anyone....

Currently, Japan hasn't been clear whether the benefit extends to long-term foreign residents in Japan. They haven't announced a policy in regards to this, although this has caused an uproar in S.Korea where a similar policy denied benefit to foreign residents even those that have been paying taxes. Hopefully this is clarified and everyone is included.

For Japanese citizens living abroad (myself), the policy hasn't been clear either. My assumption would be no, as it really doesn't make sense for Japanese not working in Japan to receive such a benefit.

I believe that you will need to be on record of residing in a city/town/ward. I will update for those Canadians/Foreigners living in Japan for translation if that helps someone. Let me know if anyone requires any Japanese translation in regards to benefits etc.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6300/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 9, 2012
3264 posts
1948 upvotes
Kitchener
I think we could also take this in the context as why isn't Canada doing the same for everybody. We have those that are still "working" and can't qualify for CERB, but may have lost a lot of money due to reduced hours, etc. For me, it cost me over $1,000 just in the first 4 weeks. Perhaps a onetime $1,000 non-taxable cheque for everyone over 18 would have been proper. Add $500 per child.

Just a thought.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 11, 2014
4098 posts
4431 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
jeff1970 wrote: I think we could also take this in the context as why isn't Canada doing the same for everybody. We have those that are still "working" and can't qualify for CERB, but may have lost a lot of money due to reduced hours, etc. For me, it cost me over $1,000 just in the first 4 weeks. Perhaps a onetime $1,000 non-taxable cheque for everyone over 18 would have been proper. Add $500 per child.

Just a thought.
While it would be nice to have a cash disbursement for all, I get the difference in policy between the two countries

In Japan, there is weak maternity/paternity leave for parents often rendering mothers to quit work to rear children or fathers to be denied any leave with pay. To effectively give benefit, targetting those with jobs only leaves many without benefits. As schools and daycares have closed, many of these mothers that do work have no leeway with work and are forced to quit or stay at home.

The Japanese populace is also facing less issues with furloughs and businesses stopping. It is occuring, but a large part of the population stIll under employment policies where they are getting paid, and/or businesses are still running. Not to mention record low unemployment means companies are stIll short employees. Corporations in Japan carry record amounts of cash On their balance sheet and are in general, less likely to go out of business.

Meanwhile, Canada with higher female work penetration means that targetted benefit for those working makes sense considering favourable politics toward those that work/pay income tax should benefit especially if they lost their job. Add to the fact the Canadian populace is extremely leveraged debt wise, they need a way to finance their obligations alot more than in Japan. Much of the service sector Is in a precarious position because of the fact that a majority of it is built on debt. Even landlords, mortgaging out expensive condos for extreme high rents means the majority Of paycheques In major centres like Toronto and Vancouver is there to finance rent payments or debt financing. A shock income drop means Canada is forced to provide a system to compensate for that lack of income since those that lost their job become precarious and that could cascade into bigger economic problems due to this leverage.

While it would be nice to have something like Japan, we have to remember Canada is already doing more dollar wise and they are targetting those with job losses, something that is happening more here than in Japan. WhIle I sympathise with your income loss, the point of policy is not to compensate for those losses, but rather to make sure those that really are in trouble are not left destitute. Canada in many ways is more precarious economically than Japan at the moment. They have to use any resources for economic stimulus wisely. CERB already is going to cost tens of billions of dollars considering it isn't a one time payment. The 100000yen ($1000ish) one-time payment isn't huge in comparison.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6300/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 11, 2014
4098 posts
4431 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Update:
https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/18149926/
Registration forms will be mailed to registered addresses
Foreigners registered as residents in Japan are eligible for payment. Registration will require a copy of a photo ID.
Payments made by bank transfer. The transfer will b made to the registered owner of the address
The form can also be finished online if you have a "My Number" tax number
Japanese registered as abroad are not eligible (so not me :razz:)
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6300/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
[OP]
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
644 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote: Update:
https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/18149926/
Registration forms will be mailed to registered addresses
Foreigners registered as residents in Japan are eligible for payment. Registration will require a copy of a photo ID.
Payments made by bank transfer. The transfer will b made to the registered owner of the address
The form can also be finished online if you have a "My Number" tax number
Japanese registered as abroad are not eligible (so not me :razz:)
Fly back to Japan immediately? All my Japanese friends went back early April.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 11, 2014
4098 posts
4431 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Sgtalpowell wrote: Fly back to Japan immediately? All my Japanese friends went back early April.
Not worth it considering airfare, lost time work, quarantine there, quarantine back here. Besides I really dont need it :P
The form even mentions a spot to refuse the payment. Curious how many people select that
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6300/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
[OP]
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
644 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote: Not worth it considering airfare, lost time work, quarantine there, quarantine back here. Besides I really dont need it :P
The form even mentions a spot to refuse the payment. Curious how many people select that
I guess you are very Canadianized. (having a good job, knows a lot about Canada and etc.)
My friends were just "expats" living in Canada.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 11, 2014
4098 posts
4431 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Sgtalpowell wrote: I guess you are very Canadianized. (having a good job, knows a lot about Canada and etc.)
My friends were just "expats" living in Canada.
Not so much Canadianized, moreso just Canadian with a lot chunk of my formal education in Canada, although I go back and forth. I have (illegally technically) both citizenships.
We are not a large immigrant group in Canada.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6300/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
[OP]
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
644 upvotes
xgbsSS wrote: Not so much Canadianized, moreso just Canadian with a lot chunk of my formal education in Canada, although I go back and forth. I have (illegally technically) both citizenships.
We are not a large immigrant group in Canada.
Don't worry about that part. The law in Japan about "dual citizenship" is vague on when it is necessary to give up your other citizenship.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/ ... p9gG9WSnIU

Top