• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 6:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5243 posts
3520 upvotes
White Comet wrote: Never occurred to me but wondering if you need any vaccinations before going there now? Have been there a couple of times but this year seems like measles/rubella is breaking out.
More like anywhere/everywhere. The standard ones should be fine, unless you're planning on eating something exotic...
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lurkknight wrote: I don't like the go kart thing.. I've seen them rolling around. I like to enjoy the city on foot and on the train. Most of the time the train will weave through pretty interesting parts of the city. There are a few things I have an issue with.

Not so much an issue, but it's important: You need your international driver's certification.. it's just a written test but it means you are subject to all the laws and regulations of the road while you are karting.

It's not a closed course, you are on public roads, you need to know the japanese laws regarding traffic and pedestrians.

How are you supposed to sight see while you are driving the kart? Most people can't even rubberneck without holding up traffic or getting into an accident.

You are responsible for filling the tank on the kart when you return it, which means you will need to find and figure out how to use their gas stations and communicate what you need to the station attendant.

You're on the road with local drivers. the karts are tiny and low to the ground, making them hard to see for other drivers.

You will need to navigate japanese roads and addresses to follow the route. Their addressing system is crazy. You will need gps, not sure if it's provided or not.
I've seen ppl doing mario-karting and I personally would not risk my life doing it. As mentioned, you are on a public road with live traffic (delivery trucks, buses, etc. all around you) and you have absolutely no protection at all (not even head protection). Like this bunch I ran into last year in Shinagawa at night.

Mario Karting in Japan.JPG

From what I can tell, the group is led by a local who leads the group around the streets, so they are not roaming around the streets of Tokyo on their own. And yes, they obey all traffic regulations (they were stopped at a red light when I snapped the pic).
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Raggie wrote: I'll take look at AIS. I remember someone posting about a good deal on Amazon.
I just returned from Japan for a 2 week vacation and I bought this 15 day data SIM from Amazon and had no problems using it. Last year I used Bmobile, but this year because I transited through Taipei I wanted to have the SIM card in hand prior to leaving on my trip so I can use it at my connection in TPE. When I bought it back in Jan/Feb, it was $32.99CAD. It's gone up a bit but I'm not sure if that's due to FX rate fluctuation.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07588 ... UTF8&psc=1
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Whoaness wrote: Oh! I found out JR Railpass has a Canadian site with free delivery. Okay, worth it might be back on the table.
I ordered from https://japanrailpass.ca/ and they have a free delivery option. No tracking though. But I had no issues getting mine. It came in the mail within a couple days of ordering.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For anyone heading to Tokyo in the next week or so to catch the sakura blossom, the timing should be pretty good. I just got back from Japan and it is still too early. Last year, the bloom was about a week earlier than this year so we caught a lot more sakura than this year for the same time period. So for anyone heading to the Tokyo area in the next two weeks, you should be able to catch the cherry blossom.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
rvs007 wrote: For anyone heading to Tokyo in the next week or so to catch the sakura blossom, the timing should be pretty good. I just got back from Japan and it is still too early. Last year, the bloom was about a week earlier than this year so we caught a lot more sakura than this year for the same time period. So for anyone heading to the Tokyo area in the next two weeks, you should be able to catch the cherry blossom.
Thanks for sharing. I do plan on heading there next week, and hoping not too miss it.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
1501 posts
651 upvotes
Montreal,QC
Mystix wrote: Anyone have any experience with Air Canada pricing? I saw the pricing for direct flights for $1100 last week and took a day to think about it. The next day pricing jumped up to $1500 and is now "on sale" for $1386.

Do you think pricing will drop in the coming months? I am planning to go in September and will only consider direct flights because of the baby.
we are traveling with a to-be 8 months baby in april. We booked montreal-tokyo direct flight in February for travel in mid-April.
price for direct flight with air canada was 1109$, then i thought about it for a day, price went up to 1159$, we just booked at this price. Price stayed for few days and it went up to 1400$+ afterwards. We could have booked with a layover in yvr for 50$ cheaper but it’s baby’s first flight even though it’s ANA on yvr-tokyo flight.

We didnt want to deal landing in yvr and fly again.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
1501 posts
651 upvotes
Montreal,QC
rvs007 wrote: For anyone heading to Tokyo in the next week or so to catch the sakura blossom, the timing should be pretty good. I just got back from Japan and it is still too early. Last year, the bloom was about a week earlier than this year so we caught a lot more sakura than this year for the same time period. So for anyone heading to the Tokyo area in the next two weeks, you should be able to catch the cherry blossom.

Thanks much appreciated for info! Might be able to catch some in 2 weeks!

What are your top spots in tokyo or surroundings?
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
irodeo wrote: we are traveling with a to-be 8 months baby in april. We booked montreal-tokyo direct flight in February for travel in mid-April.
price for direct flight with air canada was 1109$, then i thought about it for a day, price went up to 1159$, we just booked at this price. Price stayed for few days and it went up to 1400$+ afterwards. We could have booked with a layover in yvr for 50$ cheaper but it’s baby’s first flight even though it’s ANA on yvr-tokyo flight.

I also try to fly direct because having layovers will always add about 3+/- hours to the overall trip there and back. On my recent trip there, I did two layover going there (3 hrs in Vancouver and overnight in Taipei) and direct flight coming back to Toronto and the direct flight felt so much easier and quicker in comparison. Unless the routes with layovers are significantly cheaper, I prefer direct flights.
irodeo wrote: What are your top spots in tokyo or surroundings?
Specifically for Hanami (sakura viewing) or just in general? For hanami, from last year, we went to Ueno Park, Shinjuku National Garden and Meguro River for the sakura. With a 8-month old in tow, you're probably having to deal with a stroller? If that's the case, going to a park would be easier than walking along the narrow sidewalks along the Meguro River and dealing with the huge crowds (which you'll encounter at every hanami spot anyway). At least at a park, the paths are wider and there is space off the park where you can roam.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
1501 posts
651 upvotes
Montreal,QC
rvs007 wrote: I also try to fly direct because having layovers will always add about 3+/- hours to the overall trip there and back. On my recent trip there, I did two layover going there (3 hrs in Vancouver and overnight in Taipei) and direct flight coming back to Toronto and the direct flight felt so much easier and quicker in comparison. Unless the routes with layovers are significantly cheaper, I prefer direct flights.

Specifically for Hanami (sakura viewing) or just in general? For hanami, from last year, we went to Ueno Park, Shinjuku National Garden and Meguro River for the sakura. With a 8-month old in tow, you're probably having to deal with a stroller? If that's the case, going to a park would be easier than walking along the narrow sidewalks along the Meguro River and dealing with the huge crowds (which you'll encounter at every hanami spot anyway). At least at a park, the paths are wider and there is space off the park where you can roam.
Thank you
Yes my question was for sakura viewing. I was recommended to use the carrier more frequently than i would here. We will bring a compact stroller, it will be definitely a challenge with the baby’s first trip!

We will be in hokkaido for golden week, hakodate has no hotels available during golden week! We changed our plans accordingly but i’ve never saw this (no hotel available anywhere)
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
Looks like a few RFDers will be in Japan at the same time.

I haven’t had the time to do any research, so this thread is helpful. No hotels booked either and what I am seeing most are past cancellation dates (14 days).
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13278 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yeah...I'll be there in June when it's SUPER HOT!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
1805 posts
1040 upvotes
Vancouver
Booking through Agoda seemed fairly easy. A lot of them have free cancellations until a week or even a few days before the booked dates.

I would nab every good hotel spot because free cancellation makes it safe, then take a look at my options and pair it down to my decision and cancel the rest.
I had even rebooked the same hotel at a cheaper price that I get later, and cancel the slightly more expensive one that I booked weeks earlier.
rvs007 wrote: I ordered from https://japanrailpass.ca/ and they have a free delivery option. No tracking though. But I had no issues getting mine. It came in the mail within a couple days of ordering.
Yeah, I just got my JR Railpasses through the mail. Is it a problem if the names don't match the exact names on the passport? Like if it's missing the middle initials, but has matching first and last name?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
I found a hotel in Kyoto thru Agoda for less than $100 night. Includes breakfast.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Whoaness wrote: Booking through Agoda seemed fairly easy. A lot of them have free cancellations until a week or even a few days before the booked dates.

I would nab every good hotel spot because free cancellation makes it safe, then take a look at my options and pair it down to my decision and cancel the rest.
I had even rebooked the same hotel at a cheaper price that I get later, and cancel the slightly more expensive one that I booked weeks earlier.
I recommend that strategy as well. I booked most of my accommodations a few months in advance, but about a month before my trip, I went back on Booking.com and Agoda.com and checked other hotel deals and managed to find better rates at nicer or more convenient hotel locations so I ended up switching my reservations. One notable deal I found was in Kyoto where through Agoda, I found a deal at the New Hankyu Kyoto hotel just across the street from Kyoto Station for ~$150/night where most hotels so close to the station are more than $200+/night.
Yeah, I just got my JR Railpasses through the mail. Is it a problem if the names don't match the exact names on the passport? Like if it's missing the middle initials, but has matching first and last name?
You should be fine. I think the application asks for a First & Last name anyway, so any middle names or initials are optional. When you get into Japan and go to a JR station to submit your exchange voucher to get your actual JR pass, you will need to complete another application anyway (by hand). For that application, you can add in your middle name or initials if you so choose. But from what I recall, it only asks for First and Last name anyway. When you use the JR pass at stations, you only need to present the pass itself. The station agents won't verify the information against your passport each time you use it. It's only done at the beginning when you do the exchange.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2060 posts
1906 upvotes
irodeo wrote: we are traveling with a to-be 8 months baby in april. We booked montreal-tokyo direct flight in February for travel in mid-April.

I'm glad that I'm not the only RFDer that noticed the price jump. I was thinking of going during the fall as well and missed out on the ~$1100 price point.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
1805 posts
1040 upvotes
Vancouver
Is there a good website to find good and notable places to eat in Japan? Trying to plan this itinerary ahead of time, but I know there are probably too many restaurants to count.

I'll be in Tokyo, Nagoya, Takayama, Toyama, Kanazawa.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5369 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: I've seen ppl doing mario-karting and I personally would not risk my life doing it. As mentioned, you are on a public road with live traffic (delivery trucks, buses, etc. all around you) and you have absolutely no protection at all (not even head protection). Like this bunch I ran into last year in Shinagawa at night.

Mario Karting in Japan.JPG

From what I can tell, the group is led by a local who leads the group around the streets, so they are not roaming around the streets of Tokyo on their own. And yes, they obey all traffic regulations (they were stopped at a red light when I snapped the pic).
They have a local who leads at the front and at the back, I found it fine. I went during the day, they also took us to take pictures at a very picturesque park, it was so magnificent (the park)
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
Has anyone been at the Park Hyatt Tokyo?

While the rates are jacked up for Sakura at 130k yen, I’m able to secure a corp rate at 47k yen (1/3 of the rates), which seems fair.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

KorruptioN