Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12994 posts
7102 upvotes

Japanese Beetles

Hi all.

One of trees is infested with Japanese beetles. Anyone have an experience getting rid of these short of removing the tree?

The standard traps for them are OOS everywhere around me. Any alternatives I can try?
27 replies
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Hi all.

One of trees is infested with Japanese beetles. Anyone have an experience getting rid of these short of removing the tree?

The standard traps for them are OOS everywhere around me. Any alternatives I can try?
Hang a birdfeeder nearby.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12994 posts
7102 upvotes
Katedontbreak wrote: Hang a birdfeeder nearby.
Really?

Okay will give it a try. In the same tree? As there is no other tree near it.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4140 posts
2924 upvotes
Montreal
There's nothing you can do really, unless maybe your entire neighborhood sets on extermination mission. The traps will catch them but attract even more at the same time, and birds won't eat more than a couple (incidentally the birds you attract with feeders aren't the ones that eats insects).

You can handpick them off to limit the damage, but probably not very practical with a tree. You can also spray every leaf with permethrin which makes them less attractive but that kills everything and has to be reapplied after rain.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
1668 posts
2031 upvotes
Yeah it's a nightmare sadly

I just planted a linden greenspire which happens to be one of their most fav foods. So my tree is
suffering.

You need to drop grub x all over your lawn in early spring, hang traps about ten to fifteen feet away which work quite well in capturing them.

I've also been spraying the tree and also inspecting it daily and removing the ones I can reach into a soapy bucket of water.

Eliminated about 95% of them while doing this. But it takes a fair bit of work. I have three traps around my property and each one has several dozen in each.
<signature length too long>
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Really?

Yes. Birds LOVE Japanese beatles. Adding a bird bath or a shallow water dish nearby will attract birds also. Make sure to clean the water out often.

My plum trees used to get defoliated by them every year. Ever since I started adding feeders and baths around the property, I haven't seen even 1 Japanese beatle in 10 years in any of my trees and my property is quite large.
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Really?

Try a suet cage. You can get decent quality but cheap suet cakes at Dollarama for $1.25 if you don't want to deal with seeds. If you do buy seeds, stick with black oil sunflower and not the mixed seed as birds will pick through mixed seeds and spill it as it's full of stuff they don't like but the black oil sunflower is always a hit with most birds. You can also buy bags of it at Dollarama. Quality of their Captain Buddy bird food is actually quite good and fresh.

Conversely there's lots of diy suet recipes on youtube for very cheap. If you can't find beef suet, you can use pure pork lard (tenderflake) but do not use vegetable shortening, it is bad for the birds.

This explains a little more on using birds to get rid of beatles and grubs around your property.
https://www.orkin.com/other/beetles/jap ... se-beetles
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: The traps will catch them but attract even more at the same time, and birds won't eat more than a couple (incidentally the birds you attract with feeders aren't the ones that eats insects).
This is incorrect. Suet, water, peanuts and black oil sunflowers will attract the right birds. In the breeding season (it's now over) 1 mating bird couple will take upwards of 300 insects per day.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4140 posts
2924 upvotes
Montreal
Katedontbreak wrote: This is incorrect. Suet, water, peanuts and black oil sunflowers will attract the right birds. In the breeding season (it's now over) 1 mating bird couple will take upwards of 300 insects per day.
If you live out in the country maybe, not in the city. Plus 3 out of those 300 will be Japanese beetles in my experience, nothing eats those.
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: If you live out in the country maybe, not in the city. Plus 3 out of those 300 will be Japanese beetles in my experience, nothing eats those.
The #1 reason birds don't stick around in your yard is because you've made it unihabitable for them. Plant lots of ground cover like wildflower beds, add a bird bath and the food and they will come. If you just have short grass and pavers no matter where you live, the birds wont stick around. Given their choice of insects, they will take grubs and Japanese beatles every time.

https://www.thespruce.com/design-a-bird ... ape-386418
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4140 posts
2924 upvotes
Montreal
Katedontbreak wrote: The #1 reason birds don't stick around in your yard is because you've made it unihabitable for them. Plant lots of ground cover like wildflower beds, add a bird bath and the food and they will come. If you just have short grass and pavers no matter where you live, the birds wont stick around. Given their choice of insects, they will take grubs and Japanese beatles every time.

Really? You just invent some reason so you can lecture other people on the internet?
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: Really? You just invent some reason so you can lecture other people on the internet?
How did I invent a reason when it's right in there in the link? Did other people invent some reason to? C'mon now.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4140 posts
2924 upvotes
Montreal
Katedontbreak wrote: How did I invent a reason when it's right in there in the link? Did other people invent some reason to? C'mon now.
Where did I say birds don't stick around my yard? I didn't, you invented it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6587 posts
6064 upvotes
Katedontbreak wrote: The #1 reason birds don't stick around in your yard is because you've made it unihabitable for them. Plant lots of ground cover like wildflower beds, add a bird bath and the food and they will come. If you just have short grass and pavers no matter where you live, the birds wont stick around. Given their choice of insects, they will take grubs and Japanese beatles every time.

My front yard has been converted to a perennial flowerbed (no grass) with a bird bath but I hardly get any birds there. In my backyard I have huge lawn, only a few flowers (because it's mostly shaded) and no bird bath and I have LOTS of birds (among other wildlife). Just spotted a cardinal! I don't have a grub or beetle infestation.

OP you might want to try neem oil - I don't have problem with Japanese Beetles (yet) but so far it's worked on all other best successfully including gypsy moths which have been a huge problem for me this year. Neem oil is natural and safe for all humans and animals.
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
hierophant wrote: My front yard has been converted to a perennial flowerbed (no grass) with a bird bath but I hardly get any birds there. In my backyard I have huge lawn, only a few flowers (because it's mostly shaded) and no bird bath and I have LOTS of birds (among other wildlife). Just spotted a cardinal! I don't have a grub or beetle infestation.

OP you might want to try neem oil - I don't have problem with Japanese Beetles (yet) but so far it's worked on all other best successfully including gypsy moths which have been a huge problem for me this year. Neem oil is natural and safe for all humans and animals.
The lawn is mostly shaded because you have trees right? Birds need cover. Flowers offer cover to smaller birds like sparrows and finches but not large bug eating birds like cardinals, grackles, starlings, chickadees, blue jays, robins etc. They will search for grubs and worms on a lawn but they wont stick around on the lawn or in a flowerbed for long. It has to be mixed vegetation- large and medium tree, medium to small shrubby for birds that eat lots of bugs. OP has the tree, he just needs to make it more inviting. If you don't change the bird bath wateroften, it wont attract birds either.
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: Where did I say birds don't stick around my yard? I didn't, you invented it.
You know who invented? The guy who said birds will eat 3 japanese beatles. Japanese beatles are among their favourite. I know for a fact they aren't sticking around your yard, otherwise you wouldn't have japanese beatles.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6587 posts
6064 upvotes
Katedontbreak wrote: The lawn is mostly shaded because you have trees right? Birds need cover. Flowers offer cover to smaller birds like sparrows and finches but not large bug eating birds like cardinals, grackles, starlings, chickadees, blue jays, robins etc. They will search for grubs and worms on a lawn but they wont stick around on the lawn or in a flowerbed for long. It has to be mixed vegetation- large and medium tree, medium to small shrubby for birds that eat lots of bugs. OP has the tree, he just needs to make it more inviting. If you don't change the bird bath wateroften, it wont attract birds either.
Ah ok make sense - yes I have several large trees (mostly walnut trees) as well as shrubs. Unfortunately, because of the shade and walnut trees I can't grow too much there - really wanted to have a vegetable garden. I forgot I do have a small bird bath in the back but I've never filled either one of them - it fills with the rain and then evaporates.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4140 posts
2924 upvotes
Montreal
Katedontbreak wrote: You know who invented? The guy who said birds will eat 3 japanese beatles. Japanese beatles are among their favourite. I know for a fact they aren't sticking around your yard, otherwise you wouldn't have japanese beatles.
Just stop, they don't preferentially eat Japanese beetles, if they did we wouldn't have Japanese beetle infestation in North America. I've had both for years and they will occasionally try one but go right back to chasing grasshoppers and picking stuff on the ground and ignoring all the Japanese beetles hanging on the leaves next to them.
Mar 14, 2018
946 posts
902 upvotes
GTA
I'm thankful for my new backyard, backing into a wooded ravine, so I have different types of birds hanging around all the time. There is even a bird nest on my neighbor's cedar.
But I suppose they will eat up all the seeds when I overseed my lawn lol.