• Jan 30th, 2018 2:46 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1033 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Jasper & Waterton Hotels in Summer

Hi folks,

I have been searching for hotels in both Jasper and Waterton (2 nights each) in the last week of July and the first week of August. However, it seems there are hardly any hotels available. The ones that are available are 2.5/3 star and are quite expensive.

I was wondering if there are any recommendations for hotels and what's a good time to book for end of July/early August?

Also, when I searched for hotels in Jasper, I noticed it was taking me to Whistler BC hotels.

Thanks in advance!
27 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10526 upvotes
For Jasper Hinton is a popular spot to stay when the town is booked.
For Waterton Pincher Creek is a popular spot to stay when the town is booked.

You have to book your hotels ASAP. They are typically booked up all summer long - and very expensive. Many book their hotels when rates come out and take advantage of the free cancellation - so they book several weekends at a time and cancel the ones they don't want to use (weather, etc.).

If you are looking in the first week of August there is a holiday Monday which will be very expensive / limited availability.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Jasper used to be our go-to vacation spot, until they priced themselves out and rooms were booked months ahead. Too bad as its a beautiful place.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2732 posts
3964 upvotes
The Fairmont resort at Jasper is beautiful. Nice rooms, good food options, lots to do around the resort. If you can snag a room there, do it!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 14, 2007
5038 posts
1459 upvotes
Regina
we were in Waterton the same time last year, and have been there before at the same time in the summer...it books solid pretty quickly for that time of the year but am a bit surprised there is no availability at all right now
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1033 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Everything in Waterton for the dates I was looking is fully booked.

I'm looking to wait 2 weeks to book accommodations in Banff, Jasper and Pincher Creek (since Waterton is fully booked), so that I can use Amex (Aeroplan). Not sure if it's a bad idea or if rates would go up drastically.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10526 upvotes
Shop-a-holic wrote: Everything in Waterton for the dates I was looking is fully booked.

I'm looking to wait 2 weeks to book accommodations in Banff, Jasper and Pincher Creek (since Waterton is fully booked), so that I can use Amex (Aeroplan). Not sure if it's a bad idea or if rates would go up drastically.
Book now and cancel if the rates are the same when your AMEX comes.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1033 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
TrevorK wrote: Book now and cancel if the rates are the same when your AMEX comes.
Thanks! In that case, will have it booked hopefully this weekend.

The itinerary so far looks like this:

1 night in Banff
2 nights in Jasper
2 nights in Pincher Creek
4 nights in Calgary (family there)

I'm wondering if we should spend a 2nd night in Banff or if there are any other areas that are worth staying over in. Also wondering if 4 nights in Calgary would be a lot, since the goal is to explore Alberta this summer.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10526 upvotes
Shop-a-holic wrote: Thanks! In that case, will have it booked hopefully this weekend.

The itinerary so far looks like this:

1 night in Banff
2 nights in Jasper
2 nights in Pincher Creek
4 nights in Calgary (family there)

I'm wondering if we should spend a 2nd night in Banff or if there are any other areas that are worth staying over in. Also wondering if 4 nights in Calgary would be a lot, since the goal is to explore Alberta this summer.
Personally I would be visiting Banff/Jasper/national parks over visiting Calgary. Calgary is (outside of Stampede time) just like any other big city. Nothing special, nothing unique, and nothing that would be vastly different from other big cities. I'm not saying it's a crap hole - far from it. But it has nothing that truly distinguishes itself other than it's prime location to the mountains. Where as Jasper, Banff, etc. are definitely a unique location.

Initially I am concerned with all the driving you are doing. I'm not sure what the purpose of your trip is but Banff - Jasper is over 2 hours each way if you skip 1A (which is very very popular so not sure why you'd skip). This is one of those drives where you likely want to stop along the way - not just rush through it.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
13inches wrote: The Fairmont resort at Jasper is beautiful. Nice rooms, good food options, lots to do around the resort. If you can snag a room there, do it!
I don't think I would stay anywhere else but this property. It seems to be available for OP's date.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1033 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
TrevorK wrote: Personally I would be visiting Banff/Jasper/national parks over visiting Calgary. Calgary is (outside of Stampede time) just like any other big city. Nothing special, nothing unique, and nothing that would be vastly different from other big cities. I'm not saying it's a crap hole - far from it. But it has nothing that truly distinguishes itself other than it's prime location to the mountains. Where as Jasper, Banff, etc. are definitely a unique location.

Initially I am concerned with all the driving you are doing. I'm not sure what the purpose of your trip is but Banff - Jasper is over 2 hours each way if you skip 1A (which is very very popular so not sure why you'd skip). This is one of those drives where you likely want to stop along the way - not just rush through it.
Thank you! I'm only planning on staying 2-3 days in Calgary since I have family there, otherwise I totally agree with you. Generally, we don't mind driving 2-3 hours with kids, hoping there are places to stop and rest in between.

McKinsey wrote: I don't think I would stay anywhere else but this property. It seems to be available for OP's date.
Unfortunately, Fairmont is not available towards end of July/early August :( I tried a few different dates, but no luck!
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
Shop-a-holic wrote: Unfortunately, Fairmont is not available towards end of July/early August :( I tried a few different dates, but no luck!
Not sure what your exact dates are, I tried a sample of Jul30-Aug1 and it is available for ~$780/night before taxes.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20805 posts
6622 upvotes
London
a) Does anybody know what the status of Waterton is these days after the big fire last fall?

b) There’s used to be a fairmont friends and family discount program. Is that still available?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11211 posts
10057 upvotes
Kootenays
TrevorK wrote:
Technically, you're correct, but Banff-Jasper is 3.5 hours in low traffic. Prime season it will be longer.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
smacd wrote: Technically, you're correct, but Banff-Jasper is 3.5 hours in low traffic. Prime season it will be longer.

and that's without stopping anywhere, which would be a shame. Most tourists who drive it will take almost a full day for it.

Will you be flying to and from Calgary?

In any case, it will be a very long day driving from Jasper to Pincher Creek. If you fly into Calgary, I think I would try going to Jasper first and then make my way down south. Better even: fly to Edmonton and leave from Calgary.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
Book as early as you can. Otherwise you might get stuck paying $350 for a single night as I did when I had a stopover there.

Jasper hotel room situation is ridiculous, *but* they're not a totally over-developed commercial sell-out like Banff is.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1033 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
knuks101 wrote: and that's without stopping anywhere, which would be a shame. Most tourists who drive it will take almost a full day for it.

Will you be flying to and from Calgary?

In any case, it will be a very long day driving from Jasper to Pincher Creek. If you fly into Calgary, I think I would try going to Jasper first and then make my way down south. Better even: fly to Edmonton and leave from Calgary.
Thank you! I will certainly keep that in mind.

The plan was to go to Calgary, spend 2 nights with fam, go to Banff then Jasper from there. Come back to Calgary from Jasper and spend a night in Calgary and then go to Waterton. Come back to Calgary and fly back to Toronto.

I think we are certainly up for taking scenic routes or routes ideal with young kids. Would love to sightsee and enjoy our time in Alberta as much as we can :)
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1033 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
burnt69 wrote: Book as early as you can. Otherwise you might get stuck paying $350 for a single night as I did when I had a stopover there.

Jasper hotel room situation is ridiculous, *but* they're not a totally over-developed commercial sell-out like Banff is.
Thanks! Hoping to finalize everything this weekend.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20805 posts
6622 upvotes
London
Shop-a-holic wrote: Thanks! Hoping to finalize everything this weekend.
OP, you might want to rethink your plans for Waterton. Maybe consider a shorter time there or alternate with the US side (Glacier National Park) or Alberta Kananaskis Country.

Apparently, the recent forest fire severely damaged 30% of the park as well as 70% of the forested areas. It's not clear what damaged areas will be reopen for the 2018 tourist season.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/watert ... deale_best

Before:

After:
Last edited by l69norm on Jan 28th, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
There are fewer hotels in Jasper and they are quite exorbitant. Thy being said, there are numerous B&B available in town.

Stay in Jasper is a fantastic site: https://www.stayinjasper.com

It is easier to call each host individually.

Also, the time you are visiting is the best time to camp in the Rockies. Many shops including MEC have equipment rentals. Jasper Whistler campsite is pretty nice, as well as Banff's Tunnel Mountain. Despite rental and camping fees, this is way cheaper than staying in hotels. And so much fun.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)