• Jul 9th, 2018 9:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17287 posts
15089 upvotes
GTA, ON

JD Power: Genesis, KIA, Hyundai 1-2-3 in new vehicle quality

Oh oh... RFD Hyundai-KIA haters are going to have a melt-down.

JD Power Annual Survey for New Vehicle Quality - Toronto Star
The survey also found that Korean brands Genesis, Kia and Hyundai claimed the top three spots for the first time in new vehicle quality.
-Toronto Star
JD Power 2018 US Initial Quality Study Results

I dunno.... if true and quality lasts, guess they've come a long way.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
33 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32079 posts
19297 upvotes
Toronto
President Trump will say this is Fake news ! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19727 posts
23136 upvotes
GTA
The reality is, aside from the worst offenders like Fiat/Chrysler and MINI, most of the companies are pretty close in terms of quality, with Lexus leading the way.
Also, JDP's initial quality study is only a small picture. Long term studies are also important to look at. The Korean brands are killing it though with their new cars, especially in looks/performance vs Honda/Toyota. They did recently have that big engine recall with failing oil pumps/bearings. If they made a BRZ competitor with similar or less weight and 250+ HP I'd be all over it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Nov 15, 2017
826 posts
624 upvotes
VDS is more useful than initial quality test.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
7572 posts
3836 upvotes
For certain vehicle parts, several manufacturers will order from the same supplier. Hyundai actually has stricter tolerances for how many defects they're willing to accept from the supplier, than compared to Honda. So this isn't too surprising to me
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5170 posts
6962 upvotes
Toronto, ON
IQS hardly has anything to do with reliability, it's highly subjective and rates things like infotainment usability/intuitive interfaces, buttons, etc. With that, I've gotta give it to the Koreans for keeping the most useful things as physical buttons/knobs(radio, HVAC) instead of stupid touch screen menus(i'm looking at you Honda and Toyota). I'd bet that won them alot of points.
May 17, 2018
277 posts
125 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Oh oh... RFD Hyundai-KIA haters are going to have a melt-down.
Their loss.
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
Sep 26, 2016
145 posts
130 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
I dunno what kind of quality is determined after the whole 90 days comparing to car's life cycle which is typically around 10 years :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2897 posts
1356 upvotes
MARKHAM
engineered wrote: The reality is, aside from the worst offenders like Fiat/Chrysler and MINI, most of the companies are pretty close in terms of quality, with Lexus leading the way.
Also, JDP's initial quality study is only a small picture. Long term studies are also important to look at. The Korean brands are killing it though with their new cars, especially in looks/performance vs Honda/Toyota. They did recently have that big engine recall with failing oil pumps/bearings. If they made a BRZ competitor with similar or less weight and 250+ HP I'd be all over it.
Elantra GT N(i30N) and Veloster N, I think Canada will get the Veloster N in 2019. if they bring over the i30N from Europe would be awesome as well. but they are all FWD, competitor with CTR.
Oct 15, 2008
286 posts
239 upvotes
canada
JD Power is a paid shill for manufacturers, it's literally what they do to make money. Nobody finds it odd that somehow all 3 companies are owned by the same entity and claimed all 3 top spots?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5261 posts
2587 upvotes
Winnipeg
Elusivellama wrote: JD Power is a paid shill for manufacturers, it's literally what they do to make money. Nobody finds it odd that somehow all 3 companies are owned by the same entity and claimed all 3 top spots?
Actually, it makes a lot of sense. If one was good in initial quality, why wouldn't the others be too?

The amount of whining people do about Hyundai/Kia on this forum is incredible. The survey is just initial quality, just like the name says.
This isn't a blog.
May 17, 2018
277 posts
125 upvotes
plans4canada wrote: Initial quality doesn't say much
No, but if beige Corollas had won, would there be any complaining?
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3586 posts
946 upvotes
Symplr wrote: No, but if beige Corollas had won, would there be any complaining?
I would have to say that nothing looks better than a beige on beige Corolla :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1251 posts
581 upvotes
I’ve owned five or six Toyotas. Reliability is a short list requirement in my selection criteria. I currently drive a Kia, bought new. I’d buy another. There has been a difference in dealership experience, the Kia service somewhat less satisfying, but the car has been good.

To those who refuse to see the evidence, consider that other sources such as Consumer Reports and Car and Driver, two sources with different missions, express the same general opinions about the brands.

I’d add though, that Genesis aside, Kia and Hyundai aren’t quite the obvious bargains they once were. I’m actively shopping atm and I’m finding pricing overall less than Japanese brands but only moderately so. I’m not drinking the koolaid. Resale is still poorer so the vehicles need to be cheaper on day one. Quality though, is there.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
2656 posts
917 upvotes
BBZero wrote: VDS is more useful than initial quality test.
Exactly! First three months' ownership = quality??? Lol.

Take a closer look at JDP, it's all about marketing and making money. Is it truly neutral and unbiased?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
2656 posts
917 upvotes
JasonCao wrote: Elantra GT N(i30N) and Veloster N, I think Canada will get the Veloster N in 2019. if they bring over the i30N from Europe would be awesome as well. but they are all FWD, competitor with CTR.
Just read a comparison test from a mag, nothing but disappointment.
Sep 29, 2014
533 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hahaha you will always have old timers that are data averse who won't like the results. Of course 20 years ago when their favourite brand was at the top of the list they didn't have any problems with the survey lol. Toyota, Honda and Nissan no longer dominate the survey year-after-year and change is more difficult the older you get.

When I read "90 days isn't enough" I genuinely laugh because Reliability Engineers all use 90 days in almost every industry. But these “RFD quality experts” don’t have the slightest clue about 90 days being an optimal leading indicator. The majority of car problems occur within the first three months, that’s why reliability engineers use a bathtub curve. While major failures are rare these days they typically occur very early on (mortality curve) just like what happened with the brand new Civic that was recalled and had a stop sale. Or the when Subaru updated their 2.5 and it developed oil consumption issues.

There’s a reason why JD Power has been doing this for 30 years, is the leader for reliability rankings, and why it is used in car reviews. There’s also a reason why every car manufacturer has dedicated teams to JD Power results and has JD Power employees working directly in house who focus on initial quality.

You simply have a lot of butt-hurt people who don't like the result. Times change, but some people don't want it to.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21199 posts
10696 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
people get so butthurt over these surveys

so much butthurt

my gf owned a hyundai for like 6 years....that thing never gave her one issue

my mom just bought a Hyundai Kona. I recommended Hyundai/Kia to her because she wants something that's not going to give her much trouble while being a good value. Value wise it's tough to beat the Koreans

I own a car from a brand that will probably never make this list. How many f's do I give? Nil.

I don't even know why people care about these god damn surveys.
Last edited by nasa25 on Jun 21st, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao