• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2021 8:07 pm
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
802 posts
149 upvotes
Hamilton

Jeep Wrangler 2021

Hi guys. I’m not a car guy and I’m definitely not a spend so much money on anything guy. Long story short, was very sick for very long with many hospital stays. The things my wife did to keep the family afloat is amazing. I have been working extra shifts to be able to buy her her dream car, a Jeep Wrangler.

One dealer offered me a 2021 Unlimited Sahara Altitude for 53K and with a few discounts, it esses up being 61K taxes in. After 2.99% financing, the car would cost 68K as I’d be borrowing about 7K over 6 years.

I wish the financing was lower than 2.99% but nothing I can do.

What do you guys think about the price? I have never bought new before but want to buy new for her. Also, I need to get an SUV anyways with the kiddies and think it’s an ok car for summer time adventures.

Anything else anyone can think of to save money or do you think it’s an ok deal?

Thank you very much.
109 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11777 posts
4089 upvotes
Toronto
If you have to get her a Jeep, lease it, don't buy one.

Holy smoke, I didn't know a Jeep Sahara cost 60k OTR....you can almost get a X3, Q5, GLC at this price.
Does she drive Off road a lot?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jan 28, 2017
888 posts
925 upvotes
In OP's defence, although rfd likes to bag on domestics, Wranglers hold resale value very well. Huge aftermarket following too so should be easy to troubleshoot/diagnose. Definitely one of those cult/lifestyle type vehicles.

Its one of the best offroading vehicles in the market, but with the "removable" doors, I'd imagine the cabin to be very noisy on highway speed. Also due to the size (assuming you are looking at the 4 door one) and high ground clearance, it probably has very sloppy handling, but I doubt this buyer segment really values or cares.

Not sure about long-term reliability or what is fair pricing for Wranglers, but have seen fully modded out ones asking 70k+, so 60k otr for a stock high-end trim isn't that outrageous.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11777 posts
4089 upvotes
Toronto
dtm252535 wrote: Why lease?
In case OP's wife or himself hate the car after, they don't have to struck with the car's ownership.
AFAIK, Jeep doesn't have a good history of reliability, lease is to prevent having to repair the car frequently pass the warranty period.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Nov 5, 2006
258 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Without knowing your financial situation it’s hard to say if this is a sensible price point for you or not.

Assuming it is, the Wrangler is a great choice if that’s the type of lifestyle vehicle you want. They have fantastic residual values, so even if you do decide to move on from it you’ll get top dollar when you trade or sell.

If you can get past buying new you could look at a gently used one that’s off lease. Again, they’ll still be expensive and with a higher interest rate on the used one (likely at best 5.99 vs your 2.99 new) it might make more sense to buy a new one. If it were my choice, I’d look for a 2 year old off lease wrangler to knock $15-20k off the overall financing cost.
Jun 21, 2020
31 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
I was also looking at 21 wrangler unlimited for my sis.
Its best to lease them...The residual is crazy high... Alot of dealer are only willing to give 1k off from dealer side..
The one i found was 60k msrp. With $2000 from fca and $3700 off from dealer. I got the payment to $670 tax in for 27 months and 24000km.
Considering this, 2.99 interest isn't so bad.
I doubt many brand/make can offer this kinda residual for 60k or higher..

If you want to own them, you should definitely check out the 20's. They give out like 15~20% discount if you can find the stock.
Aug 27, 2020
31 posts
21 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
That is a lot of money for a Jeep Wrangler but they do hold there value extremely well. The Wrangler is an amazing vehicle in the winter and summer and I just sold my 2013 Wrangler. I really loved the vehicle but after 7 years, I wanted something a little smoother and quieter to drive around in. My family will miss the vehicle but we can always buy another one down the road if we feel the need to get back into one. My Jeep was also very reliable with very few issues and it was really fun to fix things on my own, brakes, fluid changes etc. Good luck and you will have fun if you grab one.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2830 posts
1366 upvotes
Calgary
peji911 wrote: Hi guys. I’m not a car guy and I’m definitely not a spend so much money on anything guy. Long story short, was very sick for very long with many hospital stays. The things my wife did to keep the family afloat is amazing. I have been working extra shifts to be able to buy her her dream car, a Jeep Wrangler.

One dealer offered me a 2021 Unlimited Sahara Altitude for 53K and with a few discounts, it esses up being 61K taxes in. After 2.99% financing, the car would cost 68K as I’d be borrowing about 7K over 6 years.

I wish the financing was lower than 2.99% but nothing I can do.

What do you guys think about the price? I have never bought new before but want to buy new for her. Also, I need to get an SUV anyways with the kiddies and think it’s an ok car for summer time adventures.

Anything else anyone can think of to save money or do you think it’s an ok deal?

Thank you very much.
I would lease one. Wrangler has the highest residual value of any vehicle in Canada. It's borderline ridiculous. Ask them to quote you on a 39 month lease with 0 down. You will be surprised how low it is.

I am currently leasing a loaded 2019 Sahara. I got $9,000 off the price (this was a year and a half ago though) and my payment is $235 bi-weekly with tax included and 0 down.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
10183 posts
1975 upvotes
Is Jeep doing deep discount? They should be once and awhile. Just as well crossshop Bronco.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
802 posts
149 upvotes
Hamilton
aleks wrote: I would lease one. Wrangler has the highest residual value of any vehicle in Canada. It's borderline ridiculous. Ask them to quote you on a 39 month lease with 0 down. You will be surprised how low it is.

I am currently leasing a loaded 2019 Sahara. I got $9,000 off the price (this was a year and a half ago though) and my payment is $235 bi-weekly with tax included and 0 down.
I know this sounds stupid and I looked online but can you ELI5 what residual value is? From what I've read, it's...good?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2830 posts
1366 upvotes
Calgary
spike1128 wrote: Is Jeep doing deep discount? They should be once and awhile. Just as well crossshop Bronco.
They did pre-covid for sure. I got a big discount. Not sure what the situation is now with inventories and factory output etc. You can't cross shop the bronco as it won't be for sale for a while yet. But ford did post the Bronco prices on their site and it's actually more expensive than Wrangler.
peji911 wrote: I know this sounds stupid and I looked online but can you ELI5 what residual value is? From what I've read, it's...good?
They don't explicitly list it on their site. But you can use an online lease calculator to find it given price, rate, term and payment as per what your build is on jeep.ca
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18881 posts
2159 upvotes
blacklivesmatter wrote: That is a lot of money for a Jeep Wrangler but they do hold there value extremely well. The Wrangler is an amazing vehicle in the winter and summer and I just sold my 2013 Wrangler. I really loved the vehicle but after 7 years, I wanted something a little smoother and quieter to drive around in. My family will miss the vehicle but we can always buy another one down the road if we feel the need to get back into one. My Jeep was also very reliable with very few issues and it was really fun to fix things on my own, brakes, fluid changes etc. Good luck and you will have fun if you grab one.
I'm still rocking my 2012. It's been reliable. Just had a thermostat issue that I'll need to replace but that's no big deal.

My wife has been thinking about upgrading to a newer one but she's not thrilled about some of the new design choices and the fact we can't just move our Poison Spyder bumper and Tuffy trunk enclosure over.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16485 posts
14617 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MP3_SKY wrote: If you have to get her a Jeep, lease it, don't buy one.

Holy smoke, I didn't know a Jeep Sahara cost 60k OTR....you can almost get a X3, Q5, GLC at this price.
Does she drive Off road a lot?
Jeeps have crazy resale. Buying is fine IMO.
May 21, 2015
942 posts
479 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Is her dream Wrangler actually a 4 door or is it really that she'd like the 2 door and she's compromising because of kids, or are you? My nephews wifes dream car was a 2 door Wrangler and she got it after driving the kids around in a minivan for quite a number of years.. She loves it. He now drives the "family" car daily to work and when all 4 of them want to go somewhere in a little more comfort.
We bought a 2013 Wrangler sport last year, in primo condition, and as much as I never had anything good to say about them, it really is a fun summer/good weather vehicle. It had the hardtop but we bought a soft top for it so it can be totally stripped down and the doors taken off. Haven't had any problems with it.. However I wouldn't want to do any long distance driving in it.. it's rides rough, it's noisy, and vision outside is compromised when the doors and roof are on..
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2830 posts
1366 upvotes
Calgary
Beneful1 wrote: Is her dream Wrangler actually a 4 door or is it really that she'd like the 2 door and she's compromising because of kids, or are you? My nephews wifes dream car was a 2 door Wrangler and she got it after driving the kids around in a minivan for quite a number of years.. She loves it. He now drives the "family" car daily to work and when all 4 of them want to go somewhere in a little more comfort.
We bought a 2013 Wrangler sport last year, in primo condition, and as much as I never had anything good to say about them, it really is a fun summer/good weather vehicle. It had the hardtop but we bought a soft top for it so it can be totally stripped down and the doors taken off. Haven't had any problems with it.. However I wouldn't want to do any long distance driving in it.. it's rides rough, it's noisy, and vision outside is compromised when the doors and roof are on..
While it's still not anywhere near as good on the highway as a typical CUV, there is a pretty big difference in JL over JK in terms of overall refinement.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
802 posts
149 upvotes
Hamilton
Beneful1 wrote: Is her dream Wrangler actually a 4 door or is it really that she'd like the 2 door and she's compromising because of kids, or are you? My nephews wifes dream car was a 2 door Wrangler and she got it after driving the kids around in a minivan for quite a number of years.. She loves it. He now drives the "family" car daily to work and when all 4 of them want to go somewhere in a little more comfort.
She definitely wants the Unlimited. As soon as they came out with the Unlimited, she quickly forgot about the 2-door and we didn't have kids then.

You know what, I finally test drove one on the weekend and it's not too bad. The visibility is amazing. It's a bumpier ride but the salesman had me try a few fun 'activities' and I did think it's a cool vehicle.
Oct 25, 2020
272 posts
194 upvotes
Has she driven one?
It might be worth renting one for a week to give her a taste of what it's like. Test drives are way to short to get a proper feel for something.

You have to really like jeeps to forgive their shortcomings. I had a 2018 4 door for a week while on vacation, put about 1500km on it. Gives you much better feel for the car vs 20 minutes with a sales rep.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1797 posts
902 upvotes
Alberta
Since noone else mentioned it... So i will... But you sure your wife will be happy with you dropping 60k on a car when it sounds like you guys are already struggling financially? You said you have to work extra to afford this, and you still financing, so really you can't afford it straight up anyways.

I know it might be your wifes dream car, but I know that if i dropped last money i had on a car and then was broke... Wife would not be happy. Just saying and making assumptions but that's how I felt when I read your original post. Sounds like you had a kid since last time she expressed her desire, priorities in life change, so I would double check in the most discreet way possible.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6481 posts
3488 upvotes
Mississauga
MyGoToUserName wrote: Has she driven one?
It might be worth renting one for a week to give her a taste of what it's like. Test drives are way to short to get a proper feel for something.
My wife has always loved the classic Jeep. I told her won’t drive like a car, handle like a car or sound like a car. We rented a Wrangler Unlimited for a weekend to really get a feel for it. She was fine with it so we pulled the trigger back in 2016 and she’s been happy ever since.

Earlier this year I rented a JL during business trip and I was impressed at how much more refined it was compared to our JK. Yes it was still body-on-frame with live axles but it felt and sounded way less harsh.