Credit Cards

Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2020 9:01 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1137 posts
1285 upvotes
bubak wrote: IKR. If you keep the card for ten years and spend a million dollars and then get a $400 refund, are they gonna claw back the WB from ten years back? Can you HUCA?

What do you mean you haven't spent anything to buffer above the $5000? You said you spent $1000 to buffer above the $5000. This doesn't make sense.
Yeh, sure - a refund for a transaction that occurred 10 years earlier - there is no analogy.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1137 posts
1285 upvotes
Pointseeker wrote: Read his posts before commenting.
I think he did. The net spending was not met after the refund against a transaction that occurred during the 3 month qualification period. A strict but accurate application of the rules - but we've seen how AMEX is clamping down lately.
Dec 28, 2018
78 posts
62 upvotes
robsaw wrote: I think he did. The net spending was not met after the refund against a transaction that occurred during the 3 month qualification period. A strict but accurate application of the rules - but we've seen how AMEX is clamping down lately.
I understand your logic and thanks for your comments. In my opinion the refund transaction did not cause my life to date spending under $5000. I know the rule is strict but make no sense to me. I may request this card cancel if HUCA won’t change anything. I know My relationship with AMEX will be ended if I cancel with negative MR, but I should spend $ with other cards instead of $30000+ to cover the negative points balance. Thanks again.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13186 posts
3318 upvotes
GTA
The way I see it he did meet the minimum spend in the allotted time AND at no point after that, even with the refund, did his total spend go below the MSR threshold. Dumb clawback. Especially given the Covid situation causing refunds for many people.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2534 posts
232 upvotes
Calgary
robsaw wrote: I think he did. The net spending was not met after the refund against a transaction that occurred during the 3 month qualification period. A strict but accurate application of the rules - but we've seen how AMEX is clamping down lately.
"I met $5000 MSR of Amex Gold Business on Jan 2020 and got WB, in which $2000 insurance premium was the transaction brought over $5000). In Apr 2020 (after 3 months period) I had spend additional $1000. Today I got a refund from insurance premium due to Covid 19 of -$400." ...... "my total spending from opening to date is $5600 ($5000 + $1000 - $400) """
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13186 posts
3318 upvotes
GTA
crimsona wrote: The transaction that brings you over is always the key one. Amex's systems will auto claw back and auto re issue if a refund makes you go under but then you make it back up within the original period.
It just makes no sense that you could have spent 2K on the card every month for 9 months and if you had a flight canceled in month 9 from months 1-3 worth over $1000, you'd lose your bonus, even though you have still charged a ton of money and regularly use the card
Sep 25, 2004
867 posts
362 upvotes
How many times over the years have people posted that they can't hit the minimum spend, and the response always includes "make a refundable hotel reservation and then cancel it after you spend the required amount"? Amex is now cracking down on all the games that were played in the past. It sucks for the people who might get caught for instances that were out of their control, but this is the new world of Amex. Not to say that HUCA won't work, but I understand the line that Amex is drawing.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
7233 posts
1668 upvotes
multi city dweller
joeags wrote: How many times over the years have people posted that they can't hit the minimum spend, and the response always includes "make a refundable hotel reservation and then cancel it after you spend the required amount"? Amex is now cracking down on all the games that were played in the past. It sucks for the people who might get caught for instances that were out of their control, but this is the new world of Amex. Not to say that HUCA won't work, but I understand the line that Amex is drawing.
... ya ... and don't forget to transfer out all MR pts to your ffp account before the refund hit the account just in case ... dude was a step ahead of amex ... not sure amex will bill the cardholder with negative MR balance if attempt to cancel account ... anyone knows?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3881 posts
2125 upvotes
Gotham
I think the American Express RAT has moved to Canada. In the Canada footnotes, I think @ericdao met the requirements,
American Express® Business Gold Rewards Card
To qualify for a Welcome Bonus of 30,000 points, you must have at least $5,000 in net purchases posted to your account in your first 3 months of Card membership.
But in the US footnotes, you are busted,
If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount, we may not credit the Membership Rewards points to, we may freeze the Membership Rewards points credited to, or we may take away the Membership Rewards points from your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us.
I think you should be pressing the situation, however, if they do not want you to be a cardmember any longer, it may be futile.
Dec 24, 2011
298 posts
543 upvotes
TORONTO, Canada
Pointseeker wrote: Read his posts before commenting.
Pointseeker wrote: "I met $5000 MSR of Amex Gold Business on Jan 2020 and got WB, in which $2000 insurance premium was the transaction brought over $5000). In Apr 2020 (after 3 months period) I had spend additional $1000. Today I got a refund from insurance premium due to Covid 19 of -$400." ...... "my total spending from opening to date is $5600 ($5000 + $1000 - $400) """
Take some of your own advice and work on your reading comprehension. His net spend in 3 months is under $5000. You even quote this fact. The extra $1000 spent came after the 3 months mark. Criteria wasn’t met.
Dec 28, 2018
78 posts
62 upvotes
batcave wrote: I think the American Express RAT has moved to Canada. In the Canada footnotes, I think @ericdao met the requirements,

But in the US footnotes, you are busted,

I think you should be pressing the situation, however, if they do not want you to be a cardmember any longer, it may be futile.
Thank you so much for your clarification on the T&C b/w Canada and US. Yes I think for Canada T&C I shouldn’t be clawback because net amount during 3 months was $5000. The refund is outside 3 months how come it is treated as net purchase in 3 months by them? Agreed if with US T&C I will be clawback.

Just curious how this work assuming you guys use refundable hotel trick to meet $5000 then cancel the hotel after 3 months (with a lot of spend after 3 months to cover the hotel refund before you cancel it)? This is similar to my legit refund. Any DPs that Amex clawback WB?
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1070 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know what's happening with the American Express Personal Platinum $200 travel credit as we can't use it during the pandemic? Are they going to do anything with that?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5501 posts
4520 upvotes
TigerLilly wrote: Does anyone know what's happening with the American Express Personal Platinum $200 travel credit as we can't use it during the pandemic? Are they going to do anything with that?
Depending when your credit expires they will be issuing a replacement credit.

This is from an email from Amex.
First and foremost, we are dedicated to ensuring you can access the many benefits that your Platinum Card offers. We understand you may not have had or will not have an opportunity to use your $200 CAD Annual Travel Credit before it expires. If your credit expired or is set to expire between January and September of this year, and you have not already used it, we will be proactively issuing you a replacement credit. There is nothing required from you at this time, and we will be in touch with more details on how the replacement will be updated on your account.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3881 posts
2125 upvotes
Gotham
ericdao wrote: Thank you so much for your clarification on the T&C b/w Canada and US. Yes I think for Canada T&C I shouldn’t be clawback because net amount during 3 months was $5000. The refund is outside 3 months how come it is treated as net purchase in 3 months by them? Agreed if with US T&C I will be clawback.

Just curious how this work assuming you guys use refundable hotel trick to meet $5000 then cancel the hotel after 3 months (with a lot of spend after 3 months to cover the hotel refund before you cancel it)? This is similar to my legit refund. Any DPs that Amex clawback WB?
I guess American Express Canada is taking some cues from their American counterparts.

I just realized that you transferred out your points already and as the rep said, you haven't lost anything. You should stop using this card and cancel it.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

unclepants