• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2023 4:52 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3537 posts
1181 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote: What is the reason why it didn't work? I am tempted to apply for amex plat with new bonus. I don't have or know anybody who currently has an amex plat. I have amex personal gold and biz gold though.
It's because the new promotion started just this past Wednesday. Anyone who applied before will get the previous promotion points (60k).
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Nimbusplane wrote: Is there a place to post (cash) offers for people to use my referral link? This platinum change may be a stroke of good luck if I can use it to fix a posting error that's left me 30k points short of F class.
I've seen an offer for $180.

pm me and I'll provide you with the site I saw this on.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
5281 posts
1784 upvotes
Ontario
jerryhung wrote: My data point (bad news)

Personal experience, referred from Plat -> Plat just last week
AMEX said NO to both 75K and 25K referral "matching" basically, boo
That really sucks (even more for the AMEX Plat applicant)
Sorry, I'm confused.

Can we still do self referrals? I have an Amex Gold card and I'd like to know if I'll get 75K sign up points for self referring Gold-->Plat. (both personal cards)
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
PwA wrote: is the TD aeroplan visa infinite churnable?
Yes,after closing a card....just ensure that you wait 6 months from having opened the last card(the 6 months is from the open date,not the close date),before applying for the next. I applied after a few weeks of closing my 1st card and received FYF and sign up bonus again.
Sep 6, 2010
785 posts
94 upvotes
Waterloo
minimalist wrote: Sorry, I'm confused.

Can we still do self referrals? I have an Amex Gold card and I'd like to know if I'll get 75K sign up points for self referring Gold-->Plat. (both personal cards)
Self-referrals are (possibly were) for double-dipping on the referral bonus and the welcome bonus. You can get the 75K welcome bonus with a self-referral, but you will not get any referral points as Amex no longer pays out for referrals originating from personal Gold.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
5281 posts
1784 upvotes
Ontario
CsG wrote: Self-referrals are (possibly were) for double-dipping on the referral bonus and the welcome bonus. You can get the 75K welcome bonus with a self-referral, but you will not get any referral points as Amex no longer pays out for referrals originating from personal Gold.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. So, I could also get the referral points if I were self referring from a Business Gold or Business Platinum?
Sep 6, 2010
785 posts
94 upvotes
Waterloo
minimalist wrote: Got it. Thanks for the clarification. So, I could also get the referral points if I were self referring from a Business Gold or Business Platinum?
You should be able to, but someone in the Hot Deals section mentioned that this is no longer the case since March 15 (has to be the exact same card). Either try it out, or make an arrangement with someone who has the Plat.
May 22, 2011
60 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
jerryhung wrote: You only see it via referral links now, here are the text from my link
Plat -> Plat
Referral page from my Plat
What exactly does this self-referral mean? Did you refer yourself for a Personal Plat while you are holding a Personal Plat?
Feb 8, 2014
967 posts
514 upvotes
YVR
CsG wrote: You should be able to, but someone in the Hot Deals section mentioned that this is no longer the case since March 15 (has to be the exact same card). Either try it out, or make an arrangement with someone who has the Plat.
It will be interesting to see datapoints if self-referral is still an option. IMHO, it certainly seems much cleaner for those who don't have friends/spouses to refer back and forth to versus negotiating with strangers for cash (or giving opportunistic bloggers et al the referrals).
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Excerpt from a post on FT suggesting that referral points not being received for referring to a different product(even in the same family)

"March 17: Referred a gold from a plat: 0 point (old referral link)
March 26: Referred a biz gold from a plat: 0 point (new referral link: my friend choose "Apply for a different card that is part of this referral program" on the new application page)."
Banned
Mar 23, 2016
6 posts
1 upvote
I contacted Amex on this. For Platinums at least, you can refer to any card of the family and get 25000 points.

Great time to sign up to a Platinum card now and get to referring your friends for Gold/Platinum.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26120 posts
8250 upvotes
where I belong
some updates I gather from FlyerTalk

GOLD cardholders are actually NOT earning any referral bonus now, as AMEX said in January. It posts a Referral with 0 points

NEW referral links are different format than original ones and may be required for the new 25K per referral for AMEX Platinum cardholders
old = www.americanexpress.com/canada/en/mgm/mgmeeApplynow + followed by stuff
new = www316.americanexpress.com/iFormsSecure/un/iforms.do?cuid=emgmMgmee_en_CA&evtsrc=link&evttype=0&tkn + followed by even longer stuff
^ above are not referral links
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1500 posts
1484 upvotes
Montreal
jerryhung wrote: some updates I gather from FlyerTalk

GOLD cardholders are actually NOT earning any referral bonus now, as AMEX said in January. It posts a Referral with 0 points

NEW referral links are different format than original ones and may be required for the new 25K per referral for AMEX Platinum cardholders
new = www316.americanexpress.com/iFormsSecure/un/iforms.do?cuid=emgmMgmee_en_CA&evtsrc=link&evttype=0&tkn + followed by even longer stuff
so basically if I self refer from my Gold Biz to Platinum, I won't get any bonus in my Gold Biz account at all :-(
Jan 23, 2009
73 posts
6 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: some updates I gather from FlyerTalk

Does this also include Business Gold --> gold/ another family card?
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
jerryhung wrote: Let me clarify
Only Personal Gold referral is discontinued, not the Business Gold card
Have you received or read data points of any referral points received from Business Gold....since March 15th?
Jan 19, 2016
174 posts
63 upvotes
Winnipeg
Anyone have any experience holding 3 TD credit cards at the same time? Have a no fee cashback Mastercard and the TD First Class Travel - want the red flag deals cash for applying for Infinite Aeroplan but wondering if I should just upgrade Mastercard instead
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2584 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
ntcse1 wrote: Anyone have any experience holding 3 TD credit cards at the same time? Have a no fee cashback Mastercard and the TD First Class Travel - want the red flag deals cash for applying for Infinite Aeroplan but wondering if I should just upgrade Mastercard instead
Yes, just apply for the card, get the goodies and cancel the card you don't want.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)