Credit Cards

Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2023 4:52 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2004
1448 posts
60 upvotes
Does anyone know when adding a platinum supplementary user to Amex platinum:
- does platinum supplementary user get their own visits to the airport lounges? E.g. can (1+1) x 2 enter the lounge at the same?
- is the annual fee prorated when adding the supplementary user mid year?
Sr. Member
Feb 13, 2009
718 posts
349 upvotes
Ontario
Raven_007 wrote: Does anyone know when adding a platinum supplementary user to Amex platinum:
- does platinum supplementary user get their own visits to the airport lounges? E.g. can (1+1) x 2 enter the lounge at the same?
- is the annual fee prorated when adding the supplementary user mid year?

My wife and I use our personal platinums (mine primary and wife supplementary) all the time for the two of us and our two kids.
Member
Nov 24, 2017
225 posts
191 upvotes
British Columbia
P2 logged into her cibc account to find the following solid offer - does anyone know if "pre-approved" means no credit check (no mention in the T&Cs)

Congratulations,
You’re pre-approved with up to $1,3002 in offer value!
Get closer to your dream vacation with up to 50,000 Aeroplan Points on theCIBC Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card.

CIBC Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card
Here’s how it all adds up: Earn up to 10,000 bonus points with your first eligible purchase. Plus, earn up to 40,000 points when you spend $1,000 or more in the first 4 monthly statement periods for a total of up to $1,3002 in travel value.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
6077 posts
7520 upvotes
Montreal
Mammoths wrote: P2 logged into her cibc account to find the following solid offer - does anyone know if "pre-approved" means no credit check (no mention in the T&Cs)
For me, "pre-approved" from CIBC did not involve a credit check.
Newbie
Nov 20, 2022
9 posts
4 upvotes
Kinda hesitating between getting the Amex Simplycash preferred or the Scotia Amex Gold. Is there a reason to get one over the other?

The Amex gold would give me $475 per year in Scene points ($355 if I were to pay the fees) whereas the Simplycash Preferred would give me $432 (minus $120 so $312). However this is straight cashback.

Where Scotia gets generous is when you open an account,you get $350 and right now when you open a TFSA and/or a RRSP you get another $350. Adding the $450 SUB ($400 for Amex in statement credit) the total value in one year for Scotia is $1625.

Is Scotiabank generally good (I’m currently with Tangerine)? Is the $700 worth it to switch everything? Otherwise the difference between the two cards is not that much. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
5603 posts
2144 upvotes
Vancouver
Fuego15 wrote: Kinda hesitating between getting the Amex Simplycash preferred or the Scotia Amex Gold. Is there a reason to get one over the other?

The Amex gold would give me $475 per year in Scene points ($355 if I were to pay the fees) whereas the Simplycash Preferred would give me $432 (minus $120 so $312). However this is straight cashback.

Where Scotia gets generous is when you open an account,you get $350 and right now when you open a TFSA and/or a RRSP you get another $350. Adding the $450 SUB ($400 for Amex in statement credit) the total value in one year for Scotia is $1625.

Is Scotiabank generally good (I’m currently with Tangerine)? Is the $700 worth it to switch everything? Otherwise the difference between the two cards is not that much. Thanks!
Financially, Scotia is by far the clear winner, especially since Scotia Amex gold has FYF plus maybe there is cash back rebate if apply at certain website. Not sure if Simplycash Preferred is FYF or if there is cash back rebate from a particular website.

Whether it is worth the effort, nobody can answer that except you. For me, I would definitely choose Scotia.
Newbie
Nov 20, 2022
9 posts
4 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote: Financially, Scotia is by far the clear winner, especially since Scotia Amex gold has FYF plus maybe there is cash back rebate if apply at certain website. Not sure if Simplycash Preferred is FYF or if there is cash back rebate from a particular website.

Whether it is worth the effort, nobody can answer that except you. For me, I would definitely choose Scotia.
Yeah it’s tempting. If I were to go Aeroplan or Flight Reward Chart instead I’d god with CIBC though! Don’t know which can offer nice travel perks or if money is that matters
Newbie
Jun 22, 2017
80 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
Funny DP. I applied for the CIBC Aventura Gold at the beginning of November, didn't get instant approval so I applied for CIBC Aventura VI and got instant approval.
It arrived in the mail, did my spend, got the points by last week (first statement) and used them against travel to get the redemption bonus.
Today I got an email that I was approved for the Gold! Found out via online chat first statement date is December 24th - I think I can make it in time for the Dec 31 redemption cut-off again!
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2017
1499 posts
1822 upvotes
Vancouver
Tdotdealhunter wrote: Funny DP. I applied for the CIBC Aventura Gold at the beginning of November, didn't get instant approval so I applied for CIBC Aventura VI and got instant approval.
It arrived in the mail, did my spend, got the points by last week (first statement) and used them against travel to get the redemption bonus.
Today I got an email that I was approved for the Gold! Found out via online chat first statement date is December 24th - I think I can make it in time for the Dec 31 redemption cut-off again!
Noice!

Hopefully you get the card by 19/20 then you can spend asap and let it post before the 24th!
Newbie
Jun 22, 2017
80 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
oneyedpirate wrote: Noice!

Hopefully you get the card by 19/20 then you can spend asap and let it post before the 24th!
Good point!! I have to factor in time for posting. Looks like I can cover Christmas presents with these cards this year Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
2161 posts
234 upvotes
Up until recently, I've been collecting Aeroplan / Alaska Miles / MR / Bonvoy / Avios / Asia Miles... with changes to AP T&C and Alaska Miles gone, it's reduced the selection of cards quite a bit...

I'm looking to apply for a couple new cards shortly... what would be the best travel reward alternative to start adding into the mix? one of TD / CIBC Aventura / Scotia rewards? Or something else?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 16, 2021
577 posts
1069 upvotes
YKF <-> YVR
ElvaSoShexai wrote: Up until recently, I've been collecting Aeroplan / Alaska Miles / MR / Bonvoy / Avios / Asia Miles... with changes to AP T&C and Alaska Miles gone, it's reduced the selection of cards quite a bit...

I'm looking to apply for a couple new cards shortly... what would be the best travel reward alternative to start adding into the mix? one of TD / CIBC Aventura / Scotia rewards? Or something else?

Scotia AXG is pretty good $450 in S+ for 7500 spend or $250 in S+ for 1000 spend and additional $200 for applying through ratesdotca, FYF.

45K Aventura offer which is $281.25 for 1000 spend, FYF, must apply through dedicated link (avail on Rfd and Reddit/ChurningCanada)

Avion is also decent at 55K avion which is $550 or so, convertible to WJ, CX, BA, AA, plus 100 when applying through CreditCardGenius. Spend is 5000 for the full 55k or 35k for no spend. There is an AF of 120.

Edit to add that I personally do all the high spend offers, because I have high spend on CCs; no need to ration my MSR lol
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5873 posts
4418 upvotes
LaLaLand
I have the American Express gold business card that I signed up with the Canada Post offer several years ago. I used to get 3000 Member Rewards points for renewing the card. I did not get it this year. Has this stopped for anyone that still has this card with the Canada Post offer?

This is not a very useful card with only 1x points. I used to use the the suppliers with 2x points but that was discounted earlier this year.
Member
Oct 1, 2011
239 posts
139 upvotes
batcave wrote: I have the American Express gold business card that I signed up with the Canada Post offer several years ago. I used to get 3000 Member Rewards points for renewing the card. I did not get it this year. Has this stopped for anyone that still has this card with the Canada Post offer?

This is not a very useful card with only 1x points. I used to use the the suppliers with 2x points but that was discounted earlier this year.
This card is garbage now, I got it for the suppliers and then the supplier did not even take the card unless we spent $250K+ annually. No fine print on that. There also seem to be no Amex offers anymore on the Gold card, it's like they've abandoned it.
Member
Oct 1, 2011
239 posts
139 upvotes
If I recall correctly, the Amex Aeroplan Reserve only refers to other Aeroplan cards still? Unfortunately, I cancelled my P1 AP Reserve last year, but would like to get one for P2 now. Can anyone confirm this - that it only refers between Aeroplan cards now? And the bonus is still 20K Aeroplan points?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5873 posts
4418 upvotes
LaLaLand
mikerfd wrote: This card is garbage now, I got it for the suppliers and then the supplier did not even take the card unless we spent $250K+ annually. No fine print on that. There also seem to be no Amex offers anymore on the Gold card, it's like they've abandoned it.
Yes they have abandoned it. I called in to ask. They said no more points on renewal. I then asked to cancel and they came back with a credit for the annual fee. Rare in Canada. I will cancel next year. This is the green card in disguise. Face With Tears Of Joy

I stopped getting offers across all of my cards. I'm not sure why.
Jr. Member
Sep 19, 2008
118 posts
37 upvotes
What's the best card to get to lower costs for a trip to europe that I want to book for Sept 2023? Want to frontload the welcome bonus as much as possible. Preferably a fairly low spending MSR as I'm not a huge spender. Was looking at the TD Aeroplan visa infinite card as it can get me 30k aeroplan points off the bat fairly easily for a quick $600 that can go towards a flight, and another 20k after the first year of spending only $7500.
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2016
509 posts
1012 upvotes
erebakish wrote: What's the best card to get to lower costs for a trip to europe that I want to book for Sept 2023? Want to frontload the welcome bonus as much as possible. Preferably a fairly low spending MSR as I'm not a huge spender. Was looking at the TD Aeroplan visa infinite card as it can get me 30k aeroplan points off the bat fairly easily for a quick $600 that can go towards a flight, and another 20k after the first year of spending only $7500.
If you're looking at Aeroplan, I would go with CIBC's current offer for 45,000 AP. It is close to TD's full offer, but much lower spending requirement (45,000 AP for spending $1,000 with CIBC vs. 30,000 AP for spending $1,500 / 50,000 AP for spending $7,500 with TD). Then you can use the remaining $6,500 spending on other card bonuses (HSBC, TD First Class Travel, Amex, etc.) which may be redeemed against eligible travel purchases for your trip.

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-bankin ... -card.html
You can qualify for this offer if you apply and are approved for a new CIBC Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card beginning November 1, 2022.

In order to be eligible for this offer, a client must abide by the terms and conditions set out in this footnote.

If you apply and are approved for a new CIBC Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* card, you can receive:

i. A welcome bonus of 10,000 Aeroplan points. The 10,000 Aeroplan points will appear on your statement after you make your first purchase at any time with your card.

ii. An additional bonus of 35,000 Aeroplan points if you have at least $1,000 in net purchases posted to your account during the first 4 monthly statement periods.

Prior to Aeroplan's new "rules" effective December 19, you could have applied for both but now it's uncharted territory.

TD was already clawing back cardholders who churned their Aeroplan cards (multiple times in a year). See thread here: aeroplan-warning-your-account-may-locke ... d-2556373/
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 5, 2021
69 posts
47 upvotes
I applied for some Aeroplan cards from TD and CIBC. Once I get the points in my AC accounts and close the credit cards they won't do a clawback on my Aeroplan account, right?

Top