where I belong
Sigh..... can't believe TD is so incompetent

My 2nd statement came, still with #0 for Aeroplan #
but the bonus 10K after spending $1000 is there

so, where is my 25K miles going then, gee...... have to call TD today then
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Aug 23, 2012
48 posts
2009M5 wrote: Scotiabank doesn't sync with mint.com for me, so keep that in mind if you're a minter.
Try it a couple more times.... It works for me and it asks me the security questions. I have LOC, Savings, and Chequing with them.
Mar 14, 2015
818 posts
87 upvotes
Edmonton
bizee-bee wrote: If your credit score is a concern for you in seeking credit for a mortgage/loan in the short term future, then it could potentially be a big problem for you if things go sour. As Jerry says...don't go overboard, monitor your score, and be responsible. Else, be prepared to mend your credit rating/profile.
I have a score of 877 atm, just applied for the AMEX Airmiles however this isn't shown on my Equifax report... not sure if my score got affected. I plan to cancel this in 8 months time, will it do damage?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26120 posts
8251 upvotes
where I belong
FlyOverMyDoodle wrote: I have a score of 877 atm, just applied for the AMEX Airmiles however this isn't shown on my Equifax report... not sure if my score got affected. I plan to cancel this in 8 months time, will it do damage?
AMEX doesn't report right away, it'll show up eventually

No problem cancelling after 8 months
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
6879 posts
7307 upvotes
FlyOverMyDoodle wrote: I have a score of 877 atm, just applied for the AMEX Airmiles however this isn't shown on my Equifax report... not sure if my score got affected. I plan to cancel this in 8 months time, will it do damage?
That's because Amex pulls from TU normally, not Equifax.

Not to worry, you haven't been forgotten. Amex will soon report it to your Equifax file, and you'll see the drop in score at that time. Good luck, and hold on to your hat! :lol:
Jan 20, 2014
80 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
TD First Class any good? (with the annual fee waived) or is the BMO World Elite a better choice since starting in May, the fee can be waived.

If I choose to go with First Class, should I wait for another $200 sign up reward to be offered?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
7053 posts
4497 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: This link still works (and this is the one I applied in Jan and got 50K points)
http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm (redirects to here: https://lp12.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1207059)
I already have a basic account with Marriott but not through credit card. If I apply with the 50K pts link, do I get 50K or 30K? I constantly received email promotion for 30K pts though but never acted
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
6879 posts
7307 upvotes
mkl38s wrote: I already have a basic account with Marriott but not through credit card. If I apply with the 50K pts link, do I get 50K or 30K? I constantly received email promotion for 30K pts though but never acted
As long as you apply through one of the 50,000 links here (eg http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm), and NOT through the 30,000 link from your (or anyone else's) email or marriott.com promo page, you will get 50K. It does not MATTER a lick that you see 30K promos offered to you via email or at marriott.com, or if you are currently a new basic or Silver member, just use a 50K link to get the right promo.
Jul 26, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
Need some advice y'all! TD employee so all CC's are 50% off. I got the TD aeroplan infinite so got 10k aeroplan points... but then I realised how useless aeroplan is and transferred it to a first class. Also got an Amex gold. I spend about 12-15k a year (still a student) but I want to maximise my rewards because I'm eligible for these cards.
Jul 26, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
[quote="TheyCallMeTheBatman" post_id="21933363" time="1426735918" user_id="725040"]TD First Class any good? QUOTE]

It's not bad considering you get 1.5% cash back and 4.5% cash back when booking through Expedia. In my opinion, that flexibility is way better than anything aeroplan has to offer. Insurances are a bit limited though.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4297 posts
1476 upvotes
Vancouver
kneadler wrote: Need some advice y'all! TD employee so all CC's are 50% off. I got the TD aeroplan infinite so got 10k aeroplan points... but then I realised how useless aeroplan is and transferred it to a first class. Also got an Amex gold. I spend about 12-15k a year (still a student) but I want to maximise my rewards because I'm eligible for these cards.
First Class is okay. It only amounts to 1.5% back.. but good if you travel a lot with cash and book with Expedia. It's just unfortunate that in the past year, Capital One canned two of the very best cards on the market (Aspire Cash and Aspire Travel World). The prior gave you 1.5% cash back, no strings attached, for free, and threw in a whole wad of insurances. AMEX Gold is junk if you're using it for travel cash redemption because of the high annual fee, there's no way you can make significantly more than the annual fee with such little annual spend. Your best bet is to convert to AP or Avios. Don't completely discount frequent flyer programs though. If you're smart with AP/Avios conversions and can get most of your points through sign-up bonuses or referrals, it's well worth it. Miles redemption is worth it for certain routes, you just need to know how to avoid taxes (don't fly on Air Canada with Aeroplan, for example) and usually a very good value for first and business class flights. For example, at the moment, it's only 50k Avios + ~$150 to fly direct from YVR-JFK in business class... these are $2000+ tickets! You can also choose stop-overs through Aeroplan to maximize travel, eg. YVR-YYZ-JFK-YVR for the same amount of points as just YVR-JFK. Being smart is tough and time consuming though so after I've burned through all of these points, I'm just going to stick with my cash back card. Find a deal on RFD and redeem with cash back- you'll get the most freedom that way. Stick with First Class if the discount is significant (why isn't it free for you?) and wait for a good card to come into the market or wait until your spend increases to over $20k and get something like the MBNA 2% cash back card for $80/year. Good luck though.. with the new regulations and caps on merchant fees, it's going to be tough to get a better product in the future.
Removed external link in signature.
Jul 26, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
See... overall aeroplan seemed really restricting so I didn't bother spending $1k to get the additional 15k aeroplan points. I'm just going to spend $500 on the Amex gold, transfer to AP/Avios and then cancel it. Is AP or Avios better?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
6879 posts
7307 upvotes
kneadler wrote: See... overall aeroplan seemed really restricting so I didn't bother spending $1k to get the additional 15k aeroplan points. I'm just going to spend $500 on the Amex gold, transfer to AP/Avios and then cancel it. Is AP or Avios better?
So, you're a TD employee, but also a student. Does this make you exempt from credit checks/hits and damage to your credit file/score/profile? If yes, go for as many cards as you can afford to get. Else, you'd better devise a strategy on which cards you should focus on, before you jump in to the churn game. Because tbh, your approach seems a bit too aggressive for me to recommend to my young-adult friends/family.

If you CAN accumulate 90K/150K of Aeros, then you can get some good value on Biz fares to Europe/Asia. Else, all that damage to your credit doesn't seem to justify flying on a "discounted" redemption/award fare...that's basically what Aeroplan/Avios will provide to you.
Jul 26, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
You've got it. I don't think it makes me exempt, but I haven't seen any hard checks from TD on my Equifax credit report. So what do you recommend. My current score is 725, and my TD Visa Infinite, and Amex aren't on the report yet. I have a BMO student SPC card that I've had for 2 years with a 2k limit. A TD Green visa (because it's 5% cash advance/purchases just in case) with a 1k limit, the TD Visa infinite with a 5k limit and the Amex. I never carry a balance and always pay on time. But I do want to get some sort of reward for all the purchases I make.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
7053 posts
4497 upvotes
We too plan to go vacation this summer and I am contemplating on get the Marriott card but then I am not sure if their hotels we will be staying. I already have the TD 1st class travel infinite, is there a better travel card that I should get? My score is > 800 and I am not planning to borrow anytime soon so credit check is not an issue. Last year I got offered from TD Aeroplan with 2-for-1 certificate + 25K pts and FYF but I didn't take it. I also got RBC Avion 25K + 25K and FYF and I too did not go for it. I kind of regret and wish they offer me again before we go on our trip this summer
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1403 posts
67 upvotes
thanks again Jerry !

just got approval for the Marriott Visa right online , although one of the 4 questions it asked didn't have the correct answer for me to choose from , I guess they only need 3 of 4.. !
Thank you in advance for your help !
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26120 posts
8251 upvotes
where I belong
I simply recommend people WITH GOOD CREDIT SCORE to apply away for future potential travel plans
There is NO one card that fits all needs

I personally diversify (except SPG) among MANY programs for this exact purpose.
Airlines - Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
Hotels - Marriott, Club Carlson
Flexible CC credit - TD 1st class, Cap1 Aspire, AMEX MR

It's almost too late/stressful to only do it before the trip, because you may never know what offers are running
Dec 22, 2013
930 posts
223 upvotes
EDMONTON
mkl38s wrote: We too plan to go vacation this summer and I am contemplating on get the Marriott card but then I am not sure if their hotels we will be staying. I already have the TD 1st class travel infinite, is there a better travel card that I should get? My score is > 800 and I am not planning to borrow anytime soon so credit check is not an issue. Last year I got offered from TD Aeroplan with 2-for-1 certificate + 25K pts and FYF but I didn't take it. I also got RBC Avion 25K + 25K and FYF and I too did not go for it. I kind of regret and wish they offer me again before we go on our trip this summer
You should take them up on those offers even if you end up cancelling the cards within a year. If you're looking to churn some other cards as well, check out the Amex Gold Rewards and Gold Business, MBNA Alaska Air, and BMO World Elite to name a few.

If you're looking for a replacement card to keep and use regularly, you may find that the Scotia Visa Infinite/Gold Amex may be good value because of the 4% categories. Others to consider are the BMO world elite, Amex Gold Rewards or SPG, MBNA RWE. However, if you have the TD First Class because you have their All Inclusive account, keep in mind that you'll have to pay a hefty annual fee for non-TD cards, anywhere from $75 to $150.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
5603 posts
2144 upvotes
Vancouver
mkl38s wrote: We too plan to go vacation this summer and I am contemplating on get the Marriott card but then I am not sure if their hotels we will be staying. I already have the TD 1st class travel infinite, is there a better travel card that I should get? My score is > 800 and I am not planning to borrow anytime soon so credit check is not an issue. Last year I got offered from TD Aeroplan with 2-for-1 certificate + 25K pts and FYF but I didn't take it. I also got RBC Avion 25K + 25K and FYF and I too did not go for it. I kind of regret and wish they offer me again before we go on our trip this summer
"RBC Avion 25K + 25K and FYF" How did you get 25k + 25k? I have a lot of business with RBC and they have never offered me 25k + 25k.

Marriott, Amex (gold & biz), RBC Avion (esp with 50% bonus when converting to avios), and TD infinite visa are ones you should consider when it's FYF.

You have to spend the money anyway so might as well get something back in return.
Mar 14, 2015
818 posts
87 upvotes
Edmonton
My score was 877... applied for the Air Miles AMEX and it dropped to 803. I'm afraid it'll drop even more if I apply for others and cancel within the year. =(
jerryhung wrote: I simply recommend people WITH GOOD CREDIT SCORE to apply away for future potential travel plans
There is NO one card that fits all needs

I personally diversify (except SPG) among MANY programs for this exact purpose.
Airlines - Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
Hotels - Marriott, Club Carlson
Flexible CC credit - TD 1st class, Cap1 Aspire, AMEX MR

It's almost too late/stressful to only do it before the trip, because you may never know what offers are running

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

humanator, Jagstyles