• Mar 26th, 2024 8:35 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2587 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
mkl38s wrote: question for the people who churn credit cards, do you try to reduce the credit limits they offered or you just leave whatever came in with? I just started getting couple of cards (one in April & 2 just now) and they all gave me too way much credit limits that I don't really need. My utilization is like 0% monthly now so reduce some for sure won't impact that.
No reason to reduce the limit. And if you are churning cards, your needs do not enter into the process.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
Gonkman wrote: Bah.... Just applied this week for the $75 gift card for the Amex Gold. Dangit.... Could of gotten $100 and $25 Referral + $100 Gift card for my wife's application through Ratesupermarket.

Oh well... Still getting $150 in Gift Cards and $400 in Travel credits.. Cest La Vie...
pardon my Q, what $25 referral? from Ratesupermarket? I couldn't find it
May get my family to sign up if there are even more incentives :)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Oct 21, 2011
7 posts
2 upvotes
hyacinthe wrote: Aaaand an even better offer: $100 Gift Card from https://www.ratesupermarket.ca/deals/scotiabank upon approval for a Scotiabank card (AMEX Gold, VISA Infinite Momentum or Value Visa)

It looks like Scotiabank has an added special on their cards - on top of the RateSupermarket $100 gift card you can get:

$100 bill credit for the Scotiabank Momentum VISA Infinite (http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,86,00.html) - $99 annual fee - no FYF
20,000 points for the Scotiabank Gold American Express (http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,4657,00.html) - $99 annual fee - FYF

I found that RateSupermarket offers $100 gift cards for either of them.
Feb 13, 2014
535 posts
299 upvotes
RFD Land
jerryhung wrote: pardon my Q, what $25 referral? from Ratesupermarket? I couldn't find it
May get my family to sign up if there are even more incentives :)
I am assuming you can Refer once you apply via Ratesupermarket. Last time I got the Scotia Amex and Momentum Visa I referred my wife once I applied via RateSupermarket.

If you login to ratesupermarket after apply via them you should have your status of your existing giftcard payout and there was a "refer" link and you got $25 Gift Card on top of your $100 if you referred someone and the referee got approved. So last time I got $200 for the 2 Cards and 2X$25 for referring my wife and she got $200. So it was $450 for both cards in Gift cards.

Maybe it is different this time? I don't know since I used Lowestrates this time to apply and my old applications show as approved with no more links since they are dead now.

I still see the following at the bottom though..

"Sorry, you currently have no referrals to redeem. If you have referred a friend, please check back at a later date. You will be credited when we have received notification of their approval from the credit card provider. "
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2014
1537 posts
512 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
Am I correct in thinking that if you use the ratesupermarket link, then you can not use another referral as well (from a friend)?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8520 posts
6266 upvotes
idynamitei wrote: It looks like Scotiabank has an added special on their cards - on top of the RateSupermarket $100 gift card you can get:

$100 bill credit for the Scotiabank Momentum VISA Infinite (http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,86,00.html) - $99 annual fee - no FYF
20,000 points for the Scotiabank Gold American Express (http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,4657,00.html) - $99 annual fee - FYF

I found that RateSupermarket offers $100 gift cards for either of them.
Damn, I have been waiting for the right time to apply for this card but last week, I went and applied for C1 Aspire WE & Rogers MC. I don't think I may be able to get this one now :(
Aug 12, 2010
654 posts
241 upvotes
Ottawa, Ontario
I believe it has been stated in the 1st post that you can only hold 2 AMEX charge cards at 1 time. You have to cancel one before applying (or receiving) another one.
Does this apply to the Scotia Bank version of the Amex charge card?

Thanks,
Allan
Thanks to all at RedFlagDeals for all the great deals obtained.
Feb 8, 2014
997 posts
535 upvotes
YVR
Allan - I don't think the Scotiabank Amex is a charge card. It's considered a credit card.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
starwatcher wrote: I believe it has been stated in the 1st post that you can only hold 2 AMEX charge cards at 1 time. You have to cancel one before applying (or receiving) another one.
Does this apply to the Scotia Bank version of the Amex charge card?

Thanks,
Allan
You read it wrong. OP states 2 credit cards and 5+ charge card.
Simply Cash, AmEx Airmiles are credit cards with credit limit.
AmEx Gold Reward is charge card with spending limit.

I have a Simply Cash from Costco switch over to MC. When I was approved for AmEx Platimum Airmiles, I have to transfer some of my credit limit from my Simply Cash card to the Airmiles card. But when I was approved for the AmEx Reward Gold card, no credit limit to be transferred as it is a charge card.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Oct 16, 2014
225 posts
154 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Scotia Gold Amex is issued by Scotiabank (and uses the American Express payment network).
Amex Charge and Credit cards are issued by the Amex Bank of Canada (and, of course, also use the American Express payement network)
The max. 2 Credit Cards limit is enforced by Amex, as the issuer of the Cards; holding the Scotia Gold Amex doesn't matter in that case.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2013
1181 posts
329 upvotes
ON
jerryhung wrote: Busy November, I think the 2 best offers are CIBC Business Aerogold and Scotia GOLD AMEX
Couldn't apply for Scotia Gold Amex via the ratesupermarket getting an error

"We are unable to proceed with your application at this time as you have insufficient credit history. "

Anyone else experiencing this?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: Busy November, I think the 2 best offers are CIBC Business Aerogold and Scotia GOLD AMEX
And for Amex? :)
Nov 27, 2013
135 posts
32 upvotes
Pursuit2013 wrote: Couldn't apply for Scotia Gold Amex via the ratesupermarket getting an error

"We are unable to proceed with your application at this time as you have insufficient credit history. "

Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes same here
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
2033 posts
1013 upvotes
Just curious, but how many hard inquiries in the last 2 years are all of your credit reports showing, and how many have you noticed are too many, i.e. you get declined ecause of them?

Mine shows 6, and I'm worried it's too many so I haven't applied for cards I want to get.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
Are you guys inputting your SIN? Perhaps Scotia or credit bureaus are having trouble.
Nov 27, 2013
135 posts
32 upvotes
McMaggot wrote: Are you guys inputting your SIN? Perhaps Scotia or credit bureaus are having trouble.
Yes have tried multiple times with and without.
Nov 9, 2015
354 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hitemwiddachoppa wrote: Yes have tried multiple times with and without.
Same here. Doesn't know and I have with Scotiabank for about 15 years.

Called ratesupermarket and they were useless.

Called Scotia and they asked me to do it at the branch.

I emailed President's office of Scotia and will keep you updated.
Oct 9, 2014
397 posts
49 upvotes
Winterpeg
G0DKING wrote: Just curious, but how many hard inquiries in the last 2 years are all of your credit reports showing, and how many have you noticed are too many, i.e. you get declined ecause of them?

Mine shows 6, and I'm worried it's too many so I haven't applied for cards I want to get.
Last time I applied I was at 11 and got declined (BMO World Elite), but when I called to ask, they said it was the 6 in the previous 6 months that was the problem. After looking around it seems like the last 6 months is more important as they told me that if all else stays the same and I apply in April/May that I'd pretty much for sure be approved

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)