• Mar 26th, 2024 8:35 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3864 posts
1150 upvotes
Toronto
I'm thinking of creating a credit card or two yearly to get enough points for traveling in the summer (cover the flight costs and hotel). Is this considered safe for my credit rating?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
Sepharite wrote: I'm thinking of creating a credit card or two yearly to get enough points for traveling in the summer (cover the flight costs and hotel). Is this considered safe for my credit rating?
Nobody can answer that really, even if we know your rating, income, etc...

Risks vs. Rewards, you be the judge

Many of us do it (I do, hence I created this thread), I sign up/churn maybe 5-10 cards a year?
It's very very well worth it, every time I used points for my travel to offset expenses - especially flights & hotels in the hundreds or thousands $ :)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Sepharite wrote: I'm thinking of creating a credit card or two yearly to get enough points for traveling in the summer (cover the flight costs and hotel). Is this considered safe for my credit rating?
Amex Gold Rewards,SPG,TD Infinite Aeroplan,CIBC Infinite aeroplan(both personal and business) are great cards to get for aeroplan travel(SPG for hotel)
Jan 21, 2012
662 posts
363 upvotes
crimsona wrote: Do you have another no-status account (wife's?) to compare it against?
Since Air miles allows multiple people to use the same account, so no ...

Anyway, does anyone notice that Air miles no longer offers Bmo Investment voucher now, but some people might still be able to redeem it by phoning them directly.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
Hey Jerry, decided if you're going to keep any of the Amex cards or other once-per-lifetime rewards like BMO WE?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
atomiton wrote: Hey Jerry, decided if you're going to keep any of the Amex cards or other once-per-lifetime rewards like BMO WE?
No set plan, I apply as I see a good deal
And enough AMEX to rotate for 2016 at least ... until they actually stop giving out repeat welcome bonus ;-)
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2008
1120 posts
199 upvotes
Ottawa
ValueHunter999 wrote: Do you keep yr amex MR pts with amex or do you transfer them out?
Not jerry, but I've been transferring mine to SPG to redeem on hotels this year before the merger... there are lots of other opportunities to get aeroplan
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
cell21 wrote: Not jerry, but I've been transferring mine to SPG to redeem on hotels this year before the merger... there are lots of other opportunities to get aeroplan
Oh... I didn't know you could transfer them to SPG. Is it 1:1?

EDIT: Thanks Google. It's 2:1. Not bad if you need a top up or in a pinch...
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: No set plan, I apply as I see a good deal
And enough AMEX to rotate for 2016 at least ... until they actually stop giving out repeat welcome bonus ;-)
I hear ya. I have an Amex Gold expiring in July and self-referred an Amex Bus. Gold in January which is good until the end of the year.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10043 posts
3758 upvotes
multi city dweller
cell21 wrote: Not jerry, but I've been transferring mine to SPG to redeem on hotels this year before the merger... there are lots of other opportunities to get aeroplan
I try to keep it with amex as it is the "safest" place to park the MR pts, and one can transfer to other programs when necessary.

Unfortunately, one needs to have at least the gold reward card to keep the MR active.
This has a fee of $150.

(so far, I have been rotating between the personal and biz gold reward to maintain the MR account but I am getting tired of the work ... :) )
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1637 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
What can I do with 34,000 Aeroplan points?
Well you can add a one way for YYZ-LHR economy and a one way from DXB to YYZ economy. Don't know the points I can expect on those trips.

Places I'm interested in going to:
- Spain
- Singapore or Hong Kong
- France

Any thoughts ? I looked at Spain and the taxes were on par with a round trip via Google Flights lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
4795 posts
3847 upvotes
GTA
I finally got my 15,000 aeroplan miles with my TD Aeroplan Visa.
But they still haven't credited me back the $120 free since it was also FYF.

I'll give them a call but anyone else have a similar experience? I'm on my 2nd statement already.
Oct 16, 2014
225 posts
154 upvotes
Moncton, NB
ValueHunter999 wrote: Unfortunately, one needs to have at least the gold reward card to keep the MR active.
This has a fee of $150.
If you're planning on keeping the Amex Gold Personal past the FYF and pay the AF, try applying through a partner offer like http://www.americanexpress.ca/venngo (RSVP code: VENNGO114). I got it from a my job's WorkPerks.
The offer has no annual fee for the first year with a $99 annual fee thereafter. Or simply ask if they can apply this offer to your current account… ;)
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
2009M5 wrote: What can I do with 34,000 Aeroplan points?
Well you can add a one way for YYZ-LHR economy and a one way from DXB to YYZ economy. Don't know the points I can expect on those trips.

- Spain
- Singapore or Hong Kong
- France

Any thoughts ? I looked at Spain and the taxes were on par with a round trip via Google Flights lol.
hyacinthe wrote: If you're planning on keeping the Amex Gold Personal past the FYF and pay the AF, try applying through a partner offer like http://www.americanexpress.ca/venngo (RSVP code: VENNGO114). I got it from a my job's WorkPerks.
The offer has no annual fee for the first year with a $99 annual fee thereafter. Or simply ask if they can apply this offer to your current account… ;)
CPA and Perkopolis have the same offer (25K, FYF, $99/year after) if one wants to explore these options
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
ADRiiAN` wrote: I finally got my 15,000 aeroplan miles with my TD Aeroplan Visa.
But they still haven't credited me back the $120 free since it was also FYF.

I'll give them a call but anyone else have a similar experience? I'm on my 2nd statement already.
Sounds like something has slipped through the cracks.Call them and be prepared with details of your offer.eg.application or offer code,where you applied from(website).As long as they can verify the offer,shouldn't be a problem
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2587 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
malakijoy wrote: Sounds like something has slipped through the cracks.Call them and be prepared with details of your offer.eg.application or offer code,where you applied from(website).As long as they can verify the offer,shouldn't be a problem
I am in the same situation and was advised that it may take upto a complete 2 billing cycles. I did receive the second statement but the first statement came after 2 weeks from approval. Was told to wait for the 3rd statement. Rep also says that GCR has something to do with the posting of the refund of fees via the codes. That is where the offer was stated.
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
ValueHunter999 wrote: AFAIK, all applications should have the FYF rebated regardless of which code you used since even the TD website mentions 100% rebate of first fee.
Hmmmm, I didn't see any FYF ,just now,on the TD site?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
2009M5 wrote: What can I do with 34,000 Aeroplan points?

- Spain
- Singapore or Hong Kong
- France

Well, there are great threads on flyertalk to ask this question. I'd probably try this to start: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/

As for how many miles you'll earn, I find it's easiest to plug the airports into gcmap.com.

Looks like you'll be at almost 45,000 miles.

You have a couple of choices...
  • Economy Return ticket to Hawaii
  • Economy return to Canada / USA + economy short-haul
  • 1-way business class ticket to Europe
  • 1-way economy to Singapore or Hong Kong
  • Return economy ticket to Mexico
  • Premium Economy to Canada / Continental USA
IF I were to make a recommendation, I'd say save up until you have 60k to get a return to Europe... but then again, YYZ — CDG in Paris is usually a pretty inexpensive direct ticket. It's up to you. Here's the redemption chart: https://www4.aeroplan.com/use-your-mile ... rrentTitle

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)