18 posts
36 upvotes
toronto

Free Online Video Conferencing, secured and full features

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Jitsi
https://meet.jit.si/

Amazing open source video conferencing tool. Now absolutely free for use by any one any time.
Last edited by TomRFD on Mar 25th, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
8 replies
Oct 26, 2011
85 posts
171 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't know why I didn't think of recommending this. I've been using this for years, it's great. For talking/videoconference, absolutely nothing needs to be installed, just go the link you share with friends. You can see many people/desktops at once. Works on mobile phone. 5 stars.
Sep 10, 2004
112 posts
35 upvotes
Montreal
Jitsi uses WebRTC so the feed CAN go through a central server but likely is point to point (especially at this price). Like this the cost is about call setup rather than carrying video. With p2p your IP address is exposed to the other user, which can be used with geoip for broad location data.

Webrtc is blocked by certain browser plugins and vpns because it can be used to build a user fingerprint for tracking purposes.

Note webrtc can sometimes avoid your VPN if it deems it an inferior connection and there is a non-VPN path to the internet.
Aug 30, 2017
103 posts
165 upvotes
j0yb0y wrote: Jitsi uses WebRTC so the feed CAN go through a central server but likely is point to point (especially at this price). Like this the cost is about call setup rather than carrying video. With p2p your IP address is exposed to the other user, which can be used with geoip for broad location data.

Webrtc is blocked by certain browser plugins and vpns because it can be used to build a user fingerprint for tracking purposes.

Note webrtc can sometimes avoid your VPN if it deems it an inferior connection and there is a non-VPN path to the internet.
These are all interesting points and I genuinely wonder whether this is relevant to individuals looking to video conference with people they know and trust ?

Certainly this would be a concern to those looking to host webinars and presentations for many people whose identities are not verified.
Jul 4, 2016
26 posts
14 upvotes
FlamingTuxedo wrote: These are all interesting points and I genuinely wonder whether this is relevant to individuals looking to video conference with people they know and trust ?
Totally agree with you. Yes, IP address are in plain sight, but yep, when you use this with friends and family, it's truly an awesome open source program
Sep 10, 2004
112 posts
35 upvotes
Montreal
I know and work with the technology so was trying to be clear about the side effects attached to it. Some of the people who use it via my work are vulnerable (eg to stalking) thus I try to highlight how it should be used, limitations, etc.

It’s a great technology that should work well during this plague because of p2p; once connected your content is encrypted; but know at some points IPs get passed around and sometimes they get outside your VPN. (Oh renegotiation can happen so your security perimeter needs to be strong throughout the call).
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1245 posts
196 upvotes
Calgary
Can be slow/choppy at times, but for free you can't complain. I've had up to 8 people on one call without issues, but then had very choppy audio with 3.