Careers

Job market feedback

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2020 11:41 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 22, 2008
156 posts
32 upvotes
Mississauga

Job market feedback

Hi,
Any one currently applying for IT related positions? specially in cyber security. What is the market feedback like. I have been applying for past 2 weeks with zero response while usually i do get calls about 5 applications out of 15 (non pandemic days)

wondering if its just tough times or am i doing something wrong this time.
55 replies
Jr. Member
Dec 20, 2015
168 posts
73 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I don't think you're doing anything wrong as there's just a lot of unemployed people (due to COVID layoffs) applying for a very limited number of postings at the moment. A lot of companies have also rescinded offers, froze hiring and removed roles completely.

I have a few friends in tech (not developers tho) who were laid off earlier this year and have been looking for a while with no responses as well... my recruiter friend says competition is intense right now as she can easily receive 500+ applicants in a week for a single posting. Don't feel too bad and good luck!
Sr. Member
Mar 5, 2008
525 posts
180 upvotes
Gen_90 wrote: Hi,
Any one currently applying for IT related positions? specially in cyber security. What is the market feedback like. I have been applying for past 2 weeks with zero response while usually i do get calls about 5 applications out of 15 (non pandemic days)

wondering if its just tough times or am i doing something wrong this time.
Grind out those applications you'll eventually get there
Spruce up your LinkedIn and use the job search feature on there as well.

There are good employers out there even right now that are looking for people. for some businesses, the pandemic didn't affect them at all.
I had been applying for jobs to for a better opportunity since January of this year, got some solid callbacks in March and had in person interviews by the end of March and left my old job and started with the new job in May and turned down a job offer in that time as well.

I can't really say anything about your particular field as I don't work in IT or Cybersecurity, but my field we work closely with Cybersecurity (in my old job and new) and the pandemic has not affected either job at all (old job we just migrated to a WFH model, but the actual volume of work either remained the same or increased and same with my current job we are busier than we've ever been)
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19117 posts
17455 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Know someone that got scooped up off of linkedin. There are opportunities otu there I guess. My company removed all the job postings.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1913 posts
2154 upvotes
Hearing that the market is starting to pick up from a few people. Keep at it as it is a numbers game and there are a lot of qualified people out there.
Member
Apr 25, 2019
354 posts
188 upvotes
same field . have been trying since last 2 months in GTA without success.
Member
User avatar
Oct 31, 2019
435 posts
563 upvotes
Gen_90 wrote: Hi,
Any one currently applying for IT related positions? specially in cyber security. What is the market feedback like. I have been applying for past 2 weeks with zero response while usually i do get calls about 5 applications out of 15 (non pandemic days)

wondering if its just tough times or am i doing something wrong this time.
Keep it up it's a numbers game! Try getting a referral by any means possible and try doing any side project to make yourself stand out. Also scrutinize that resume VERY carefully - things are insanely competitive so recruiters quickly look for any reason to throw resumes away.
Newbie
Jun 8, 2020
42 posts
21 upvotes
Thousands of new graduates just finished school are also competing for jobs. Tough year.

Hope economy will recover soon. Also looking forward to US election and maybe new president.

Downside is this virus thing. Hope vaccine is available soon.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
3022 posts
1519 upvotes
Montreal, QC
its just tough times ahead. with so many out of work, there's a lot more competing for jobs now. you'll get calls, eventually. companies are starting to hire as they re-open. i apply to some positions pre-pandemic and i'm starting to field calls, like 5 months later
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1997 posts
876 upvotes
HK
Cyber has been one of the most porfitable/busy practices of my firm (as well as competitors), been a lot of hiring/poaching. Definitely NOT tough times in this area.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19117 posts
17455 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
McKinsey wrote: Cyber has been one of the most porfitable/busy practices of my firm (as well as competitors), been a lot of hiring/poaching. Definitely NOT tough times in this area.
How does one angle themselves to get into cyber security? What courses/certs should they take? That seems to be the buzz... We lost a number of staff that went into cyber security for the banks.
Member
Apr 25, 2019
354 posts
188 upvotes
McKinsey wrote: Cyber has been one of the most porfitable/busy practices of my firm (as well as competitors), been a lot of hiring/poaching. Definitely NOT tough times in this area.
do you work for McKinsey? if yes can i send a private message?
Newbie
Jan 31, 2016
67 posts
21 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
It really depends on what IT positions you are looking for. There are plentiful of short-term help-desk/ technical support jobs out there from employment agencies. I get emails from them non-stop. If you are looking for a long-term stable, relaxing high-paying IT career, it is a different story.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5078 posts
3324 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote: How does one angle themselves to get into cyber security? What courses/certs should they take? That seems to be the buzz... We lost a number of staff that went into cyber security for the banks.
Depends on your skills and interests, but a solid understanding of computer systems and networks is a must, the more the better.

There's Security Analysts, Penetration Testers (tee hee, but they call themselves Pen Testers to avoid immature folks like me), Project management, incident management, security policy analyst, IT security governance.

There's the tech side and also the human side which is in my opinion, 90% of all cyber security problems. You can build a slick system, but if your humans aren't...bright... the system is useless. Training and enforcing policy is just as important so users follow the systems that were meticulously designed.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
So...how's it going for everyone? I'm finding it strange - on one hand everyone is acting like nothing is wrong and on the other hand I look at my LinkedIn and see all the posts from HR and various jobseekers talking about how hard it is to find anything. Then I have ex-coworkers getting new jobs quickly because they are currently employed.

Is anyone else preparing to be asked 'why were you laid off?' seems silly but apparently this is a thing that's being asked. How about 'what have you been doing with your time'

Is it a faux pas to mention that some time was taken off due to receiving a severance?
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
C_C wrote: So...how's it going for everyone? I'm finding it strange - on one hand everyone is acting like nothing is wrong and on the other hand I look at my LinkedIn and see all the posts from HR and various jobseekers talking about how hard it is to find anything. Then I have ex-coworkers getting new jobs quickly because they are currently employed.

Is anyone else preparing to be asked 'why were you laid off?' seems silly but apparently this is a thing that's being asked. How about 'what have you been doing with your time'

Is it a faux pas to mention that some time was taken off due to receiving a severance?

Wow, nothing eh, I guess everyone is busy working. Good news for me.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19117 posts
17455 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
C_C wrote: Wow, nothing eh, I guess everyone is busy working. Good news for me.
The easiest way to find a job is when you already have one. It's psychological. Employers want people that other companies want. They want people who are desirable. Works the same way in the dating world too.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5078 posts
3324 upvotes
C_C wrote:
Is it a faux pas to mention that some time was taken off due to receiving a severance?
Not really but acceptable answers include:

1) Time off with family
2) Pursued some hobbies
3) Online courses
4) Volunteered
5) Learned something new
Jr. Member
May 23, 2020
122 posts
47 upvotes
C_C wrote: Wow, nothing eh, I guess everyone is busy working. Good news for me.
It does feel very weird, doesn't it? On the one hand we're in the worst economic recession for decades, and on the other, many things feel ordinary...
Jr. Member
May 23, 2020
122 posts
47 upvotes
dentonic88 wrote: do you work for McKinsey? if yes can i send a private message?
I think McKinsey doesn't work at McKinsey - just admires McKinsey :)

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)