Job offer for 3 months contract 17$ per hour should i take it

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2021 9:21 am
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts
241 upvotes

Job offer for 3 months contract 17$ per hour should i take it

Current on EI for almost a year but i was not fault the business was not doing well due to pandemic i was getting 18$ per hour and i really like this job... now i got offer for 3 months with 17$ per hour when i checked the reviews in glassdoor itseems like very less chances of contract extension here too .. my concern is will i loose my EI Benefits in case if anything goes wrong again with this new job due to performance or any other reason

note: i also reached out to my original employer where i am on furlough the HR told they will definitely call me when the business get back but i dont like to be idle hence i applied.

please advise i am really confused
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8003 posts
2337 upvotes
Toronto
In a 3 months job, the employer usually let you go on the first instant you did something wrong and write employee skill did not meet company expectations. You are qualify for EI therefore.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5069 posts
3251 upvotes
You do not lose EI benefits, the system is not designed to make you reliant on EI but to provide support during unemployment. You would just simply file your weekly report as found work and if there is no contract extension/no new work you call in to re-apply with a new ROE and your EI will reactivate quickly with new calculations (more hours worked in year).

It's only $1 less than what you used to earn, it will keep you busy and perhaps meet new people learn new things. Take it and keep searching in the meantime.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2760 posts
1313 upvotes
Toronto
FYI, EI is not forever. You will eventually run out of EI. Just take the contract job. If your old place wants you back then you can leave the 3 month contract job at any time. You're not tied to the contract. As in, you don't have to stay there for the full 3 months. Just like the employer does not need to keep you for the full 3 months.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"