Careers

Job Offer: But moving out of Edmonton to Vancouver

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2021 10:31 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 12, 2013
605 posts
288 upvotes
YEG

Job Offer: But moving out of Edmonton to Vancouver

Hello Rfders

I got selected for a position at Vancouver. Almost double the pay. Is it worth considering to move to Vancouver from Edmonton keeping in mind the high cost of living at Vancouver?. Wondering what would be the pros and cons to move to a bigger city. Need your input before accepting the offer.

I am stressed out right now to take the right decision.


ps: Family with 3 kids :)
91 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
12352 posts
4858 upvotes
Toronto
Do you like EDM or you aim to move to VAN anyway?

Are you going to be renting or buying a new home?

How old are your 3 kids.


I moved from Montreal to Toronto 13 years ago, but I was single and things are much easier to manger than a family of 5.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9148 upvotes
The NORTH
MP3_SKY wrote: Do you like EDM or you aim to move to VAN anyway?

Are you going to be renting or buying a new home?

How old are your 3 kids.


I moved from Montreal to Toronto 13 years ago, but I was single and things are much easier to manger than a family of 5.
When I was single I moved quite frequently as my job required it. Once I had kids the moving stopped. Are your kids in school? Do they have lots of local friends? Is your extended family located in Edmonton?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 12, 2013
605 posts
288 upvotes
YEG
1. My aim to move to a place where there is less of snow and weather wise good. I dont like the YEG winters tho
2. I am planning to rent rather than buy.
3. Kids are aged between 5 and 8
4. Yes kids in school.. i dont think they made friends but not sure...
5. yes, my extended family is located at Edmonton


A reason to think more of relocating is because of wife and kids. I am okay about relocation for a better pay, but repacking things and moving to a new place is quite hectic. I moved locally within the city that was troublesome. and Just was thinking how hectic it would be if i move out of province considering the cost of moving furniture and looking for a good house.

Currently i rent a townhouse and I heard that I have to move to a basement or a condo to keep the rent same at YVR.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
12352 posts
4858 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't do it if the extra pay you are getting is just to pay for the rent in VAN.
Quality of life is important. It seems like you are doing the move to bring the quality of life down for the family.

If I was single, i will do it in an heat beat, I lived in a basement for 18 months too when I moved to Toronto. Anything that help to bring my fixed living expense down, I would do it, I'm single, I can suffer for some years to help me save.

Also, your kids will have to meet new friends in school and lose to old ones, it will be harder to meet your extend family also.

So moving purely for the increase of salary and hassle the whole family, I wouldn't do it.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
You don't have to answer, but think about what "double the pay" means in real take-home dollars (after tax). The difference could be a little, or it could be a lot. You are going to have to pay for things in real dollars, so think in real dollars. You can look online and get an idea of how much it would cost to rent something similar to what you are renting right now, try to look for something in the same kind of area so you can compare. You don't need to rent the same place, but you can use it as a way to compare expenses, as your home is probably going to be the largest expense. Then look at your real dollar figure again and see if it makes sense to incur those expenses.

Then think about what job you do and what the prospects are for earning more in the future. Maybe you will not only earn more now, but you will get more frequent raises and promotions, or maybe not.

If you are going to move, maybe now is a good time - because of COVID, lots of people are moving, the kids haven't been able to make as close friends as normal, etc. It's probably not a bad time for change.

Either way, don't stress too much. It is just a new option, and more options are always a good thing.
Member
User avatar
Jun 4, 2007
375 posts
234 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
glenn9090 wrote: 1. My aim to move to a place where there is less of snow and weather wise good. I dont like the YEG winters tho
2. I am planning to rent rather than buy.

3. Kids are aged between 5 and 8
4. Yes kids in school.. i dont think they made friends but not sure...
5. yes, my extended family is located at Edmonton


A reason to think more of relocating is because of wife and kids. I am okay about relocation for a better pay, but repacking things and moving to a new place is quite hectic. I moved locally within the city that was troublesome. and Just was thinking how hectic it would be if i move out of province considering the cost of moving furniture and looking for a good house.

Currently i rent a townhouse and I heard that I have to move to a basement or a condo to keep the rent same at YVR.
I think you made your decision based on those two points alone. Good luck in Vancouver and congrats on the new job offer!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 2, 2013
5617 posts
1478 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Considering just financial factors: after factoring in the after-tax new pay, and the increased living costs: is the difference going to be worth it?

e.g. Alberta $50,000 gross yearly income = $3,232 net taxes per month; BC $100,000 gross = $6,189/month net taxes.

That's an increase of $2,957/month net income.

A 3 br. townhouse in a nicer area in Edmonton is about $1,500/mo.; $1,800-2,000 after utilities, insurance, etc...

In Vancouver, depends on area, and whether you're inside the city of Vancouver, or outside... Even outside it, looking at $2,400+/month easy for a 3 bedroom, and many of those places around that price range, are in shitholes, basements, or in poor shape. Closer to $2,800/mo+. is what you'll spend if you're already used to a nicer place. Housing alone can eat half your income.

If you go into Surrey, prices tend to be closer to the low end, especially if you're in an undesirable neighborhood.

Rent aside, fuel and general living expenses are much more expensive.

All said and done, per month you might be bringing in only another $1,500 or less, depending on the nature of your expenses.

Consider spending more time in Vancouver physically in different areas, so you can have a better idea on whether it's worth it to you, and which areas you can stand living in, and whether they're within your budget.
Accountant (Public Practice)
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Environmental Services
  • Road Construction
  • Transportation & Logistics
  • Tax & Financial Analysis
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 12, 2013
605 posts
288 upvotes
YEG
thanks everyone for the input. Its making things clear for me that double salary doesnot make any difference i guess when you are in Vancouver. Keeping these in mind and additionally company is not providing relocation allowance which i figured out with a transport company coming around $4000. Its one time but still i think for the first 2 years instead of getting that extra income, I am eventually ending up with nothing.

I am happy with what I earn and spend here. Considering the quality of life at Edmonton and giving that extra time for family, i am assuming that this may not happen in Vancouver. Also when peak winter, the things here are different. Depression during snow and all. Additionally i am hourly employee here and there it is a salaried position. Pay check every two weeks.

Still have this week to decide before i say yes or no.

Also the job is internal transfer and upgrade to 4 grades. Colleagues say that that this is a great jump career wise but pay wise is not worth that move to Vancouver. These last days i was overthinking of this and my work colleague says that I am going through midlife crisis. :) .
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 2, 2013
5617 posts
1478 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
glenn9090 wrote: thanks everyone for the input. Its making things clear for me that double salary doesnot make any difference i guess when you are in Vancouver. Keeping these in mind and additionally company is not providing relocation allowance which i figured out with a transport company coming around $4000. Its one time but still i think for the first 2 years instead of getting that extra income, I am eventually ending up with nothing.

I am happy with what I earn and spend here. Considering the quality of life at Edmonton and giving that extra time for family, i am assuming that this may not happen in Vancouver. Also when peak winter, the things here are different. Depression during snow and all. Additionally i am hourly employee here and there it is a salaried position. Pay check every two weeks.

Still have this week to decide before i say yes or no.

Also the job is internal transfer and upgrade to 4 grades. Colleagues say that that this is a great jump career wise but pay wise is not worth that move to Vancouver. These last days i was overthinking of this and my work colleague says that I am going through midlife crisis. :) .
There are also a lot more desperate people in BC. Generally, people are willing to work for less money in BC. Unlike Alberta, it's hard to have a conversation about wages or making money in BC. It's socially less acceptable to work for money there; people weigh financial factors less for a job. Historically, for the same jobs, BC wages have been lower than AB. Though you might get a bump up now, in the future, you may have very limited opportunities for pay advancement.

Though AB has suffered through low commodity prices, employers still have to compete with O&G employers indirectly. People here have the option to go into O&G eventually. Conversely in BC, aside from the far north, people generally do not have that option.

If anything, you can consider using this opportunity as a bargaining tool with your current employer.
Accountant (Public Practice)
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Environmental Services
  • Road Construction
  • Transportation & Logistics
  • Tax & Financial Analysis
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2020
1047 posts
1088 upvotes
I left North Vancouver (working in downtown Van) about 3.5 years ago now. I'm originally from Edmonton.

It may have slightly changed, but plan to at least double your car insurance costs and yes, pay a lot more for gas (TransLink tax). And if you take transit (I did most of the time to work), it's not cheap either and you have to factor in commute time. If you plan on driving around, well... REALLY factor in your commute time. If you're coming into Van from a place like, say, Abbotsford, its 2+ hrs in rush-hour (so leave early), 1.5 back..

Another factor no one's really factored in -- people there are not friendly like the prairies at all. They really keep to themselves. Didn't get it at first, but its because there's constantly people coming, (failing), and going from Vancouver. Every hipster young-woman, etc. wants to live there.. And every french person from Quebec, and.. well you get the idea, everyone in Canada and the world, basically.... Why bother to even TRY to make friends with these transient people?? They'll just be gone in a year or less (At least, thats' the way the locals see it).

The weather I didn't find bad, but, if you find Edmonton winters depressing... (hahaha), wait until you get Vancouver Rain.. I didn't have an issue as i kept really active hiking, etc. on the North Shore, but it really bothers some people, gray all the time. Edmonton at least has bright, sunny winter days most times.

There's intergenerational wealth in Vancouver. No one from outside/outsiders can ever really afford to buy there.. it's kinda sad, but reality of our crazy housing market that the Governments at all levels have allowed. Also reality.

Das
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1332 posts
1550 upvotes
Knowhere
Do you mind put what the salary of the new job vs the old one?

Coz if the old pay is 100k and new pay is 200k, for 100k more it make sense.
If the old pay is 50k the new pay is 100k, for 50k more, minus the more tax you pay, you ain’t gain much
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 12, 2013
605 posts
288 upvotes
YEG
lightmeup wrote: Do you mind put what the salary of the new job vs the old one?

Coz if the old pay is 100k and new pay is 200k, for 100k more it make sense.
If the old pay is 50k the new pay is 100k, for 50k more, minus the more tax you pay, you ain’t gain much
much more is my second case old pay around 50 k to new pay with almost around 100k
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2018
1275 posts
1562 upvotes
glenn9090 wrote: much more is my second case old pay around 50 k to new pay with almost around 100k
In that case, you're probably better off staying in Edmonton if you're already making it work there. $100k/year isn't going to get you very far in Vancouver. Renting a townhouse should set you back at least $3k a month, and that would take up almost half of your take-home pay.

Will your wife be working too?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 12, 2013
605 posts
288 upvotes
YEG
MarinersFanatik wrote: In that case, you're probably better off staying in Edmonton if you're already making it work there. $100k/year isn't going to get you very far in Vancouver. Renting a townhouse should set you back at least $3k a month, and that would take up almost half of your take-home pay.

Will your wife be working too?
was thinking of the same. No, my wife doesnot work as she prefers to stay home. May be after 4 or 5 years down the line, she may work but as of now she is no more interested in working.

update: Spoke to the manager who is hiring me and he advised to see the career and not the money. I frankly said to him that career does not feed my family, but money does. He kept quite for a while. and he said to decide once i have the offer. Talked to current manager about the situation to keep him in the loop. Lets see how the things goes. The company says that the offer will be based on the current job grade.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2018
1275 posts
1562 upvotes
glenn9090 wrote: was thinking of the same. No, my wife doesnot work as she prefers to stay home. May be after 4 or 5 years down the line, she may work but as of now she is no more interested in working.

update: Spoke to the manager who is hiring me and he advised to see the career and not the money. I frankly said to him that career does not feed my family, but money does. He kept quite for a while. and he said to decide once i have the offer. Talked to current manager about the situation to keep him in the loop. Lets see how the things goes. The company says that the offer will be based on the current job grade.
Yeah, if your wife doesn't work, it's going to be difficult to make it work in Vancouver on $100k a year, but I'm surprised you've been able to make it work with $50k a year for a family of 5 in Edmonton. What are your monthly expenses like?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1810 posts
1830 upvotes
glenn9090 wrote: was thinking of the same. No, my wife doesnot work as she prefers to stay home. May be after 4 or 5 years down the line, she may work but as of now she is no more interested in working.

update: Spoke to the manager who is hiring me and he advised to see the career and not the money. I frankly said to him that career does not feed my family, but money does. He kept quite for a while. and he said to decide once i have the offer. Talked to current manager about the situation to keep him in the loop. Lets see how the things goes. The company says that the offer will be based on the current job grade.
Can you try to negotiate to perform the new job out of you current city instead of moving? Why do you have to physically be in Vancouver to do it?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 12, 2013
605 posts
288 upvotes
YEG
MarinersFanatik wrote: Yeah, if your wife doesn't work, it's going to be difficult to make it work in Vancouver on $100k a year, but I'm surprised you've been able to make it work with $50k a year for a family of 5 in Edmonton. What are your monthly expenses like?
seriously it was (in the past) and it is (right now) a lot of struggle to meet the end needs. Since day one when I landed in Canada, nothing came in my way. Had to do cash jobs after my full day shift to just make sure i kept food on the table.

so far this is the first break within the organization when i am jumping 4 grades. Double the money is exciting but at the end of the day, this is almost equivalent to what I am earning here.

here in Edmonton, with the amount of salary that I am getting, I am happy with kids going to top ranked school in Edmonton and renting a 3 BR town house. I eventually have no plans for buying a house on mortgage till i find a suitable good pay job.

Thats what i was confused whether should i grab this opportunity for the Career or wait for a better one in Edmonton.

ps: Still waiting for the offer from HR that may come by end of today.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the extra 7% sales tax in BC.

C
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 12, 2013
605 posts
288 upvotes
YEG
ProductGuy wrote: Can you try to negotiate to perform the new job out of you current city instead of moving? Why do you have to physically be in Vancouver to do it?
its an on site job.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)