Careers

Job Offer: But moving out of Edmonton to Vancouver

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2021 10:31 am
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2018
1287 posts
1583 upvotes
glenn9090 wrote: seriously it was (in the past) and it is (right now) a lot of struggle to meet the end needs. Since day one when I landed in Canada, nothing came in my way. Had to do cash jobs after my full day shift to just make sure i kept food on the table.

so far this is the first break within the organization when i am jumping 4 grades. Double the money is exciting but at the end of the day, this is almost equivalent to what I am earning here.

here in Edmonton, with the amount of salary that I am getting, I am happy with kids going to top ranked school in Edmonton and renting a 3 BR town house. I eventually have no plans for buying a house on mortgage till i find a suitable good pay job.

Thats what i was confused whether should i grab this opportunity for the Career or wait for a better one in Edmonton.

ps: Still waiting for the offer from HR that may come by end of today.
It's probably going to quite a struggle here in Vancouver as well. $100k after taxes is like $75k, so $6250 a month. Renting a 3-bedroom townhome in GVR (in an less than ideal location where schools might not be as good) might be around $3500, and food for a family of five could be $1200. So just shelter and food alone is $4700 a month, not to mention everything else you'd have to pay for like gas, internet/cable, cell phone and any number of child-related expenses.

If you're already quite satisfied in Edmonton, I don't know if you want to take the plunge to make the move to Vancouver. Even if there is some career growth prospects, it would still be hard for a family of 5 to live in Vancouver for even $150k a year.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2020
1085 posts
1120 upvotes
glenn9090 wrote: seriously it was (in the past) and it is (right now) a lot of struggle to meet the end needs. Since day one when I landed in Canada, nothing came in my way. Had to do cash jobs after my full day shift to just make sure i kept food on the table.

so far this is the first break within the organization when i am jumping 4 grades. Double the money is exciting but at the end of the day, this is almost equivalent to what I am earning here.

here in Edmonton, with the amount of salary that I am getting, I am happy with kids going to top ranked school in Edmonton and renting a 3 BR town house. I eventually have no plans for buying a house on mortgage till i find a suitable good pay job.

Thats what i was confused whether should i grab this opportunity for the Career or wait for a better one in Edmonton.

ps: Still waiting for the offer from HR that may come by end of today.
Ooh, you mentioned Education...
I know things have regressed slightly under Kenney, but in reality, Alberta has one of the highest ranked education systems in the world, right up there with Finland and the other Scandanavian countries, in test scores, quality, etc. Seriously, look it up.

B.C., on the other hand... A bit of a clusterCluck.. My mom has taught there.. Very different from Alberta.
Very British-style system in general there, and Education in particular (though not quite as bad/classist) is getting there.
Private schools abound -- they cost more and the quality of education varies drastically from really crappy (worse than public) to great but hella-expensive.
Public is not the same quality as AB. Ontario may be a comparable, don't know - haven't experience ON.

As mentioned prior, chances of owning a house much more realistic in AB (at present, anyway.. ).

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful place, but it has many deep flaws. Climates nice.. Just the people.. and system...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7725 posts
6910 upvotes
glenn9090 wrote: Hello Rfders

I got selected for a position at Vancouver. Almost double the pay. Is it worth considering to move to Vancouver from Edmonton keeping in mind the high cost of living at Vancouver?. Wondering what would be the pros and cons to move to a bigger city. Need your input before accepting the offer.

I am stressed out right now to take the right decision.

ps: Family with 3 kids :)
Hell yes , Vancouver is awesome and there's reason why so many people move there despite the high COL

If you can workout that you'll be able to afford to live there for your family, I can't think of a reason to not move from Edmonton to Vancouver if you can make the $$ work

There's a reason why even with higher wages and lower col, Alberta is still losing people overall every year to other provinces and BC especially
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9969 posts
1900 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Beyond the money...
- how much do you actually care/want to move to Vancouver? It's a desirable place for many but do you and your family want to live there?
- what's the career prospects between both places? Will being in Vancouver afford you more options down the line?
- what about the life for the rest of your fmaily? Schools for the kids, career prospects for the partner etc
Feb 19, 2017
929 posts
702 upvotes
Please don't listen to a bunch of people stuck at 50-100K with no idea how to progress their careers. Your manager was right to guide you to look at the career opportunity instead of the money. Obviously, you need to make sure you can support your family, but it sounds like you can even with the higher COL in Vancouver.

You should then look at where this job gets you in 5-10 years.

Let's say in Edmonton, you double to 100K in 5 years.
In Vancouver, you double to 200K in 5 years.

Do you still think you would be worse off financially in Vancouver? How about in 10 years? This will keep compounding.

Edmonton, btw, is a sh*thole. Literally one of the ugliest cities in Canada with DECLINING prospects.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2018
1287 posts
1583 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote: Please don't listen to a bunch of people stuck at 50-100K with no idea how to progress their careers. Your manager was right to guide you to look at the career opportunity instead of the money. Obviously, you need to make sure you can support your family, but it sounds like you can even with the higher COL in Vancouver.

You should then look at where this job gets you in 5-10 years.

Let's say in Edmonton, you double to 100K in 5 years.
In Vancouver, you double to 200K in 5 years.

Do you still think you would be worse off financially in Vancouver? How about in 10 years? This will keep compounding.

Edmonton, btw, is a sh*thole. Literally one of the ugliest cities in Canada with DECLINING prospects.
The high cost of living concern is extremely real. Renting a 3-bedroom townhome is $3500+ a month and food for a family of 5 is $1200 a month if they never ate out. Those two alone would make up at least 65% of OP's monthly take home pay at $100k a year gross. Even making $200k, OP still wouldn't be living a high quality of life in Vancouver with a family of 5.

If OP could go from $50k to $100k while staying in Edmonton, I would suggest he do that instead. That would increase the quality of life for his family more than it would in Vancouver.
Feb 19, 2017
929 posts
702 upvotes
lovetolearn wrote: What about Calgary? Is Calgary any better?
Yes, it's much better than Edmonton. However, it's still not Vancouver and the dominant industry is still oil, which doesn't have good long-term prospects. It'll still be around, but cost-cutting measures will come back every few years and shave off more and more benefits/comp/etc.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Feb 19, 2017
929 posts
702 upvotes
MarinersFanatik wrote: The high cost of living concern is extremely real. Renting a 3-bedroom townhome is $3500+ a month and food for a family of 5 is $1200 a month if they never ate out. Those two alone would make up at least 65% of OP's monthly take home pay at $100k a year gross. Even making $200k, OP still wouldn't be living a high quality of life in Vancouver with a family of 5.

If OP could go from $50k to $100k while staying in Edmonton, I would suggest he do that instead. That would increase the quality of life for his family more than it would in Vancouver.
OP can rent a pretty decent 3-bedroom townhome, apartment, basement or in-law unit for $3K or less, even in parts of Vancouver-proper.

The difference between 100K and 200K is over 60K after tax. The extra $5K per month is more than enough to cover the higher cost of rent, insurance, gas.
I'd also argue it's worth living in Vancouver with a smaller space.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Banned
Aug 10, 2021
29 posts
24 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote:
Huh? Are we talking about the same Edmonton? Its metropolis has the tallest skyscraper east of Toronto, and it has the youngest population and virtually the highest income in Canada. It's absolutely booming here. I can tell that you haven't been to the Ice District downtown here; it's far better than anything that Vancouver has by a long shot.
Feb 19, 2017
929 posts
702 upvotes
tommy1311 wrote: Huh? Are we talking about the same Edmonton? Its metropolis has the tallest skyscraper east of Toronto, and it has the youngest population and virtually the highest income in Canada. It's absolutely booming here. I can tell that you haven't been to the Ice District downtown here; it's far better than anything that Vancouver has by a long shot.
You need to get out more. Ice District is glass architecture in a flat, drab city.

You can't beat natural beauty:

Do you think Edmonton appears on any list of most beautiful cities? Vancouver is in many of them.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6169680/vanc ... iful-city/
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Banned
Aug 10, 2021
29 posts
24 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote: You need to get out more. Ice District is glass architecture in a flat, drab city.

You can't beat natural beauty:

Do you think Edmonton appears on any list of most beautiful cities? Vancouver is in many of them.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6169680/vanc ... iful-city/
Sorry I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about overall city vibrancy, quality of life, and culture/amenities. Yes, Vancouver has mountains lol.
Feb 19, 2017
929 posts
702 upvotes
tommy1311 wrote: Sorry I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about overall city vibrancy, quality of life, and culture/amenities. Yes, Vancouver has mountains lol.
Edmonton has better wages and lower cost of living. That's about it.

With Vancouver's better city planning and a more densely populated core, vibrancy, culture, amenities, etc. aren't even up for debate. This is evident too from the amount of people from Edmonton that vacation in Vancouver. How many people go from Vancouver to Edmonton for vacation? I have lived in and know lots of people in both cities. At least in my circle of friends, no one goes to Edmonton for vacation. It's just not an attractive place.

You can continue to be biased or just look at the facts, which is your opinion of Edmonton being an attractive city, is just not a majority view.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Banned
Aug 10, 2021
29 posts
24 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote: Edmonton has better wages and lower cost of living. That's about it.

With Vancouver's better city planning and a more densely populated core, vibrancy, culture, amenities, etc. aren't even up for debate. This is evident too from the amount of people from Edmonton that vacation in Vancouver. How many people go from Vancouver to Edmonton for vacation? I have lived in and know lots of people in both cities. At least in my circle of friends, no one goes to Edmonton for vacation. It's just not an attractive place.

You can continue to be biased or just look at the facts, which is your opinion of Edmonton being an attractive city, is just not a majority view.
I thought we were talking about living, not a few days vacation? Vancouver has so much homelessness, drug issues, it's grey most of the time, the summers are too cool, taxes are way too high, there's a housing crisis (you probably can't afford a detached house to settle down in), salaries are low, traffic is bad, it's an older population (many young people are fleeing), insurance is higher, people are unfriendly, etc. But yes, Vancouver has mountains lol.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9969 posts
1900 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Cities appeal to different folks for various reasons, but Walch1102 has a point, you should look at the bigger picture beyond just current COL numbers.

A move, especially with a family isn't a small ordeal. If you were single you wouldn't have to worry too much about a city's future prospects and just move to chase career opportunities but with a family that gets more complicated so you should think longer term. If Vancouver will afford you and your family better long term prospects it may be worth sucking up the short term financial comfort.

And of course there's the notion of whether you want to actually live there based on you and your families preferences or needs. Once again, as a single person, doing a couple years in a less-than-desirable [for you] city is doable (I know many friends who went to Denver, CO or other less vibrant cities just to chase career opportunities) but once again, as a family you need to think longer term: the spouse, the kids (friends/education) and whatnot all come into play.

Vancouver is a great place, but you should make sure you've asked yourself these questions before you commit to go or not to go.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2018
1287 posts
1583 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote: Edmonton has better wages and lower cost of living. That's about it.

Sure, but we're not talking about going to either Vancouver or Edmonton for vacation. In terms of day-to-day living, the quality of life in Vancouver is going to be lacking. Sure, when people travel to Vancouver, they can pretty much stay in and around Downtown/West End if they want to and those areas are nice, but for actual living, OP and his family are going to have to live in a relatively undesirable area of GVR (far from the area in your picture) to even try to make the finances work.

I can't speak from experience about what it's like to live in Edmonton, but in Vancouver, outside of the West End/Downtown, living anywhere else in GVR is pretty meh. I don't see the appeal to come live here with the extremely high cost of living unless you're getting paid some obscene amount, which the OP isn't getting.
Feb 19, 2017
929 posts
702 upvotes
MarinersFanatik wrote: Sure, but we're not talking about going to either Vancouver or Edmonton for vacation. In terms of day-to-day living, the quality of life in Vancouver is going to be lacking. Sure, when people travel to Vancouver, they can pretty much stay in and around Downtown/West End if they want to and those areas are nice, but for actual living, OP and his family are going to have to live in a relatively undesirable area of GVR (far from the area in your picture) to even try to make the finances work.

I can't speak from experience about what it's like to live in Edmonton, but in Vancouver, outside of the West End/Downtown, living anywhere else in GVR is pretty meh. I don't see the appeal to come live here with the extremely high cost of living unless you're getting paid some obscene amount, which the OP isn't getting.
Remember this is all just supply and demand. Vancouver has a higher cost of living because it's MORE DESIRABLE. Edmonton pays well because talent won't go there otherwise.

Since you don't know much about Edmonton, let me educate you:
-it's covered in snow dirtied up by mud most of the year i.e. it looks like shit. For some reason, most of the buildings are also some shade of brown or dull grey...it's basically the most colorless city you've ever seen in your life
-winter isn't coming...winter is always there
-Yes it pays more than Vancouver on avg, but that's very much because of the blue collar presence related to oil. The corporate gigs pay less than Calgary, which is cleaner, nicer, newer.
-Land-locked with a crappy river running through it i.e. no beaches or nice seawall
-Food is actually quite decent, but no where near Vancouver quality or selection
-Not many direct flights anywhere international
-lower taxes than BC...but Calgary also has that
-flat - far from mountains for skiing, hiking, etc.
-big mall, but really crappy shopping experience in general..you will feel like you're in a backwater town
-there is nothing nearby so roadtrips are going to be on the longer side
-it does have better education in general, but again..so does Calgary

Edmonton is basically a crappier version of Calgary unless you're in your teens/early twenties and love to party with university kids.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Mar 26, 2013
424 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Walch1102 wrote: Remember this is all just supply and demand. Vancouver has a higher cost of living because it's MORE DESIRABLE. Edmonton pays well because talent won't go there otherwise.

-it's covered in snow dirtied up by mud most of the year i.e. it looks like shit. For some reason, most of the buildings are also some shade of brown or dull grey...it's basically the most colorless city you've ever seen in your life
-Yes it pays more than Vancouver on avg, but that's very much because of the blue collar presence related to oil. The corporate gigs pay less than Calgary, which is cleaner, nicer, newer.
-Land-locked with a crappy river running through it i.e. no beaches or nice seawall
-Food is actually quite decent, but no where near Vancouver quality or selection
-big mall, but really crappy shopping experience in general..you will feel like you're in a backwater town

Edmonton is basically a crappier version of Calgary unless you're in your teens/early twenties and love to party with university kids.
Sounds similar to Prince George, BC
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37728 posts
5474 upvotes
Winnipeg
CNeufeld wrote: One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the extra 7% sales tax in BC.

C
not as big of a cut as the extra income tax
WTB amazon gc @90%
Mar 20, 2006
613 posts
444 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote: Remember this is all just supply and demand. Vancouver has a higher cost of living because it's MORE DESIRABLE. Edmonton pays well because talent won't go there otherwise.

Hehe, I thought the same way until I moved to bc and that is when I missed Edmonton. Every place has ups and downs and preference depends on a person. During my short stay it rained every single day and I found BC very hilly so I hated it and that is why I headed back. But everyone is different. I suggest if you could afford to go there and try, do it and find out by yourself. May be you like it or May be you don’t but more people you ask the more you gonna get confused. Good luck!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)