Careers

Job Offer: But moving out of Edmonton to Vancouver

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2021 10:31 am
Banned
Aug 10, 2021
29 posts
24 upvotes
2good wrote: Hehe, I thought the same way until I moved to bc and that is when I missed Edmonton. Every place has ups and downs and preference depends on a person. During my short stay it rained every single day and I found BC very hilly so I hated it and that is why I headed back. But everyone is different. I suggest if you could afford to go there and try, do it and find out by yourself. May be you like it or May be you don’t but more people you ask the more you gonna get confused. Good luck!
Agreed. Vancouver is depressing. People I know who left Edmonton for Vancouver regretted it instantly, and quickly returned. There's no comparison; Edmonton is better in every conceivable way. I can tell that these Vancouver pushers have Stockholm Syndrome. I don't understand it.
Banned
Aug 10, 2021
29 posts
24 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote: Remember this is all just supply and demand. Vancouver has a higher cost of living because it's MORE DESIRABLE. Edmonton pays well because talent won't go there otherwise.

Since you don't know much about Edmonton, let me educate you:
-it's covered in snow dirtied up by mud most of the year i.e. it looks like shit. For some reason, most of the buildings are also some shade of brown or dull grey...it's basically the most colorless city you've ever seen in your life
-winter isn't coming...winter is always there
-Yes it pays more than Vancouver on avg, but that's very much because of the blue collar presence related to oil. The corporate gigs pay less than Calgary, which is cleaner, nicer, newer.
-Land-locked with a crappy river running through it i.e. no beaches or nice seawall
-Food is actually quite decent, but no where near Vancouver quality or selection
-Not many direct flights anywhere international
-lower taxes than BC...but Calgary also has that
-flat - far from mountains for skiing, hiking, etc.
-big mall, but really crappy shopping experience in general..you will feel like you're in a backwater town
-there is nothing nearby so roadtrips are going to be on the longer side
-it does have better education in general, but again..so does Calgary

Edmonton is basically a crappier version of Calgary unless you're in your teens/early twenties and love to party with university kids.
Tell me you've never been to Edmonton, without telling me you've never been to Edmonton. LOL!
Feb 19, 2017
914 posts
680 upvotes
2good wrote: Hehe, I thought the same way until I moved to bc and that is when I missed Edmonton. Every place has ups and downs and preference depends on a person. During my short stay it rained every single day and I found BC very hilly so I hated it and that is why I headed back. But everyone is different. I suggest if you could afford to go there and try, do it and find out by yourself. May be you like it or May be you don’t but more people you ask the more you gonna get confused. Good luck!
That's fair. Not everyone can get used to the gray and rain. If that's all that bothered you though, Calgary is still nicer.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Feb 19, 2017
914 posts
680 upvotes
tommy1311 wrote: Tell me you've never been to Edmonton, without telling me you've never been to Edmonton. LOL!
I've LIVED in Edmonton. Nice try.

You obviously haven't lived anywhere outside of Edmonton though if you think it's that great.

It's easily one of the worst big cities in Canada outside of just being cheap w/ decent jobs.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Banned
Aug 10, 2021
29 posts
24 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote: I've LIVED in Edmonton. Nice try.

You obviously haven't lived anywhere outside of Edmonton though if you think it's that great.

It's easily one of the worst big cities in Canada outside of just being cheap w/ decent jobs.
Then why does it have a younger population, taller skyscraper than anything in Vancouver, billions of dollars in downtown investment, the largest urban park of any city in North America (5x larger than Central Park). In fact, Edmonton is the fifth best city in Canada to live in. Vancouver is 174th. Let that sink in. LOL!

https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-best-co ... l-ranking/
Mar 12, 2006
871 posts
226 upvotes
Another poster made a good point,

If you feel this is a good career move, and your wage increase can be up there, then it might be wise to bite the bullet and risk it.
With 3 kids and sole earner, it'd be tough.

1. Even in areas like Langley/Surrey/Abbotsford - Morning commute you're looking at 40 - 1.5 hours on Trans Canada, during rush hour, each ways.
2. Rent at least 2600 (and thats on the low end from looking)? For a 4 BR plus utilities, another 500?
3. Gas? 300 a month?
4. Groceries - as mentioned, I'm thinking 1200-1500
5. Increase in taxes and car insurance + rental insurance
6. Your estimate of 4k to move I think is on the low end.

Are you two active? is the family? That helps in deciding. But ultimately, I will agree, if your career prospects is 100k... moving to Vancouver is an ehhh decision.

You could own a house in Edmonton shortly. A townhouse in those areas, you're looking at 800K.

Ultimately, I made a similar transition from Van to north, 30% pay increase was worth it. Vancouver is too expensive, I was always busy working and the rat race and congestion is insane.

Winters are manageable with exercise and vitamin D.

But I know other people who have done it the other way around, and love it for the lifestyle and are okay. It's a personal choice we don't know what your hobbies are, your kids (granted, you won't have much extra to spend), what your retirement plan is. etc
Feb 20, 2018
45 posts
64 upvotes
tommy1311 wrote: Then why does it have a younger population, taller skyscraper than anything in Vancouver, billions of dollars in downtown investment, the largest urban park of any city in North America (5x larger than Central Park). In fact, Edmonton is the fifth best city in Canada to live in. Vancouver is 174th. Let that sink in. LOL!

No sure what a tall building has to do with a quality of life, but okay.

One cannot compare Vancouver to Edmonton in terms of quality of life. It is very expensive here but so is rest of Canada in terms of cost of living outside of real estate (Real estate in GVRD/GTA is insane - hands down) . If you like the outdoors, Vancouver is amazing. There is plenty of FREE activities your family can do year around, amazing parks, mountains, beaches, rec centers, museums, galleries (most have special family rates few times a year). It definitely rains here - hence the lush green mountains. Vancouver is also very welcoming in terms of immigrants/ different cultures. It really is a melting pot of world cultures. One can rent a 2-3 bedroom condo/townhouse outside of Vancouver - Burnaby/Richmond/Tri-Cities for $2.5-3K / month. yes expensive, but doable if you chose along the skytrain line. Starting September all public transit is FREE for kids 12 and under. That can be huge for your family if you like to do things on the weekend. Food/gas expensive - but food is expensive everywhere.

Also, an unpopular opinion - but you've mentioned your wife is "not interested" in working. Quite frankly I am a bit shocked as three kids full time at school and you making around $50k and barely managing (your words) sound a bit strange to be a stay at home parent. She could get a part time job while kids are at school to help pay for some expenses.

Obviously, it depends on your family priorities - everyone is different. I would grow your career, push the wifey to get a part time job and enjoy what Vancouver has to offer. There is most definitely more to life than just money. Good luck with whatever your decision will be.
Feb 19, 2017
914 posts
680 upvotes
tommy1311 wrote: Then why does it have a younger population, taller skyscraper than anything in Vancouver, billions of dollars in downtown investment, the largest urban park of any city in North America (5x larger than Central Park). In fact, Edmonton is the fifth best city in Canada to live in. Vancouver is 174th. Let that sink in. LOL!

Thanks for proving my point: It's easily one of the worst big cities in Canada outside of just being cheap w/ decent jobs.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Banned
Aug 10, 2021
29 posts
24 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote: Thanks for proving my point: It's easily one of the worst big cities in Canada outside of just being cheap w/ decent jobs.
Please read the Maclean's link about how much better Edmonton is, and then we can have a conversation. It's concerning that I have to direct you to do that.
Feb 27, 2011
221 posts
219 upvotes
Reading through this thread, there seem to be three main components you need to consider when making this decision:

1) cost (living expenses)
2) career prospects
3) lifestyle change

For #1, Vancouver can't really compete with Edmonton, although there are ways you can adapt your living circumstances to not only mitigate this a bit, but also take more advantage of #2 and #3.

Mainly, consider downsizing your residence and choose to live in Vancouver itself (and not Surrey/Langley, etc.). Yes it is expensive (even to rent), but you'll be centrally located, and won't have to worry as much about a commute. More time to focus on adapting to, and thriving in, your new job. Also more time to spend outside and enjoy the lifestyle advantages offered by the city.

Do your kids play sports? The amateur league schedules are longer here than in most of the rest of Canada. And if your kids are little(r), there are tons of parks and playgrounds scattered throughout the city, allowing you to get outside for free. Ditch your second car (if you have one), and take more transit. Kids under 12 will be free come Sept 1, and the network within Vancouver itself is very good.

So, if you are willing to become more of an urbanite, then Vancouver (with a family) is eminently doable on a reasonable middle class' salary. Plus, it will allow your kids to experience what is different about Vancouver (from Edmonton) more so than moving out to one of the more distant suburbs, that will be more similar to Alberta both in look and feel.

And even if you don't like it, hopefully the career boost will put you in better shape to consider a return to Alberta (or a move elsewhere) after you've given it a decent shot trying to making it work here in BC. And you may end up appreciating the pros Edmonton has over Vancouver a lot more as well.
Feb 19, 2017
914 posts
680 upvotes
tommy1311 wrote: Please read the Maclean's link about how much better Edmonton is, and then we can have a conversation. It's concerning that I have to direct you to do that.
Did you look at the methodology?

-15% of the points are for internet quality - laughable - the top feature of all top 10 cities on the list are internet quality lmao
-29% for affordability/taxes - desirable geos will always be more expensive...indexing so heavily on cost means you'll just end up with a bunch of backwater towns (e.g. Frederiction is #2?? I've been there. There's basically nothing there.)
-Amenities was worth merely 6% and it defined it as restaurants/bars/airport. How about public transit, access to beaches, skiing, museums, art galleries, concerts, performances, sports events?
-Nothing on economic prosperity, cultural diversity, education attainment, etc.
-It's also ranking based on communities and not metros, which only makes sense for smaller cities.

Stick with the much more popular global rankings instead of trying to cherry pick the data: https://www.bestcities.org/
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2817 posts
3380 upvotes

I looked at that list. Yikes. Serious, there are maybe a dozen places I'd want to live in the top 100.

You couldn't pay me to live in half the cities in the top 100 at least. Their criteria seems like it was written by a committee of 80 yr old urban planners who now live in a gated community. No offense to any of those groups.

And skyscrapers...I don't think that's the pull you think it is. This isn't the 80s or Manhattan, I suppose in parts of Asia or the middle east, they still want to set records. But max floors in buildings, it's just not a real factor.

Edm is just a different tier of city is all. It might actually be a better place to live for the OP and many, but it's just not in the league of Van if your going to start citing rankings and big city bullet points. I mean, there's punching above your weight...but c'mon.
Banned
Aug 10, 2021
29 posts
24 upvotes
GTA12345 wrote: I looked at that list. Yikes. Serious, there are maybe a dozen places I'd want to live in the top 100.

You couldn't pay me to live in half the cities in the top 100 at least. Their criteria seems like it was written by a committee of 80 yr old urban planners who now live in a gated community. No offense to any of those groups.

And skyscrapers...I don't think that's the pull you think it is. This isn't the 80s or Manhattan, I suppose in parts of Asia or the middle east, they still want to set records. But max floors in buildings, it's just not a real factor.

Edm is just a different tier of city is all. It might actually be a better place to live for the OP and many, but it's just not in the league of Van if your going to start citing rankings and big city bullet points. I mean, there's punching above your weight...but c'mon.
Edmonton IS the top tier in Canada. Vancouver is tough sell for people. Most people, just like OP, are extremely hesitant to move there, to the point of turning down career advancement and more money, since they'd, well, need to live in dreary Vancouver lol.

This article gives some context for where people are moving. Hint: When Covid let people work from literally anywhere they wanted in Canada, they were NOT moving to Vancouver lol. Edmonton is one of the choice on the list though. It's a much more attractive place than Vancouver for people.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/these-are ... -1.5273723
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2817 posts
3380 upvotes
tommy1311 wrote: Edmonton IS the top tier in Canada. Vancouver is tough sell for people. Most people, just like OP, are extremely hesitant to move there, to the point of turning down career advancement and more money, since they'd, well, need to live in dreary Vancouver lol.

This article gives some context for where people are moving. Hint: When Covid let people work from literally anywhere they wanted in Canada, they were NOT moving to Vancouver lol. Edmonton is one of the choice on the list though. It's a much more attractive place than Vancouver for people.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/these-are ... -1.5273723
You keep posting lists of cities that are on my "do not move to" list. I get that people are moving there. Cheap houses are tempting. But I'm sorry, would you move to any of the other cities on the list? How many? We're not talking large numbers either, above the average. The growth rate for ALL census areas was 1.3%, the top city on the list is Oshawa at 2.1%. Splitting hairs from top of list to bottom.

EDM was half a percent above avg. Better to be above than below i guess, but it' not like a stampede toward the city.

Anyway, you said "Edmonton IS the top tier in Canada. " These last few days I learned EDM is top tier and Waterloo is in the GTA. RFD, you teach me more and more each day.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2817 posts
3380 upvotes
I mean, geez, I looked at the list again. EDM is top tier and the evidence is it's inclusion on that list? That list is top tier? Good to know the top tier includes Sherbrooke, Barrie, Three Rivers...
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1817 posts
1859 upvotes
Lol this arguing about Edmonton being better than Vancouver or Toronto is like arguing that Atlantic City is better than New York! Lol sure Atlantic City is more affordable than New York but it doesn’t have the entertainment, restaurants, culture, sports, JOBS and other things that New York has.
Banned
Aug 10, 2021
29 posts
24 upvotes
I'm just saying, there's almost no amount money most people would accept to move to Vancouver. It's one of the most boring, dreary cities in Canada.
ProductGuy wrote: Lol this arguing about Edmonton being better than Vancouver or Toronto is like arguing that Atlantic City is better than New York! Lol sure Atlantic City is more affordable than New York but it doesn’t have the entertainment, restaurants, culture, sports, JOBS and other things that New York has.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1817 posts
1859 upvotes
tommy1311 wrote: I'm just saying, there's almost no amount money most people would accept to move to Vancouver. It's one of the most boring, dreary cities in Canada.
This flew WAY over your head…
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19157 posts
2482 upvotes
YVR
You can pull data from anywhere, like this:

Can't find Edmonton here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Li ... ty_Ranking

World's best cities with Toronto at 13, Vancouver at 34, Montreal at 41, Calgary at 47, Ottawa at 67 and Edmonton at 76.
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/loca ... 21-3241980

Everyone's situation is different and each person will weigh options on a different scale. Edmonton won't work for me but I'm sure other's share tommy1311's view of it being the best city in the world.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Jun 27, 2007
289 posts
195 upvotes
California
tommy1311 wrote: I'm just saying, there's almost no amount money most people would accept to move to Vancouver. It's one of the most boring, dreary cities in Canada.
Dude - you're not convincing anyone Edmonton is a more desirable city than Vancouver. Just....no.