• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2020 12:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 4, 2012
629 posts
177 upvotes

Job recruiter

I'm curious about how do job recruiters make money? How much do they make? Are they based on % of the Consultant salary/rate? I could not find info on google.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11446 posts
3712 upvotes
Toronto
From Google Search

How do job recruiters make their money?
Most recruiters in staffing agencies are paid on commission, earning a fee based on your first year's salary when you get hired. (It doesn't come out of your pay. ... Since their bonus is typically 20-25% of your base salary, they'll try to get you a great offer. The more money you make, the higher their rate will be, too.

How much money can you make as a recruiter?
There is virtually no limit to the amount of money they can make. According to www.glassdoor.com, the national average salary for internal recruiters is $45,360. That's why, for the purposes of this blog post, we'll be talking about external recruiters
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5030 posts
2193 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: It doesn't come out of your pay. ... Since their bonus is typically 20-25% of your base salary
If the fee was $300 then sure, it doesn't come out of the pay.

20% of base salary though? That candidate definitely paid indirectly.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11446 posts
3712 upvotes
Toronto
I don't believe they only made 45k US as recruiter. Base plus bonus maybe, but not 45k Us in total.

It is just a Sales job basically.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1367 upvotes
Every recruiter I've personally come to meet that worked for a 3rd party basically did so in the belief that they'd make contacts, and eventually, themselves, be hired into some sort of role with the companies that they ultimately 'recruited' for.

But looking back, years later, one is now a stewardess for WestJet, another left the field entirely and became a stay-at-home mom, etc. It seems to be an industry that attracts a lot of younger socialite types. And unfortunately grinds them up and spits them up as it is probably harder to sell $$$ people, than it is, used cars, for example.

Some people sell shoes at the mall. Some try to sell people. I have a friend in Boston who makes decent money at the recruiting game, but its because the firm she works for is into full cycle staffing, and not just the narrow aspect of recruitment.
Jan 31, 2011
7 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
Recruiter over here! I worked at an agency, it was a base salary, plus commission. Commission depended on if the client was yours, you interviewed the candidate and you placed the candidate. Everything was tagged in the system. My first year I did $800k in revenues. I later left for a corporate role in recruitment and HR because once I saw these numbers, it was my GOAL to open my own firm up.

I did this for 3 years with a large corporation. I recently resigned and I opened up my own recruitment and HR consulting firm. You can certainly make money in this field and the ones that don’t last are the ones that generally weren’t trying to help people find jobs, in my opinion. It was just a job to them and when you take passion out of, your numbers aren’t has high as they should be.
Jan 4, 2014
376 posts
464 upvotes
Paris
richardhi wrote: Recruiter over here! I worked at an agency, it was a base salary, plus commission. Commission depended on if the client was yours, you interviewed the candidate and you placed the candidate. Everything was tagged in the system. My first year I did $800k in revenues. I later left for a corporate role in recruitment and HR because once I saw these numbers, it was my GOAL to open my own firm up.

I did this for 3 years with a large corporation. I recently resigned and I opened up my own recruitment and HR consulting firm. You can certainly make money in this field and the ones that don’t last are the ones that generally weren’t trying to help people find jobs, in my opinion. It was just a job to them and when you take passion out of, your numbers aren’t has high as they should be.
"...the ones that don’t last are the ones that generally weren’t trying to help people find jobs, in my opinion. It was just a job to them and when you take passion out of, your numbers aren’t has high as they should be."
Well said. You have it and will succeed. The majority of people (young psychology types) go into it for the money and are chewed up by the recuiting firms.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11446 posts
3712 upvotes
Toronto
richardhi wrote: Recruiter over here! I worked at an agency, it was a base salary, plus commission. Commission depended on if the client was yours, you interviewed the candidate and you placed the candidate. Everything was tagged in the system. My first year I did $800k in revenues. I later left for a corporate role in recruitment and HR because once I saw these numbers, it was my GOAL to open my own firm up.

Mind to share what was your employer income as a recruiter at that time?

I see job recruiters is just another sales job. Your client is the product and you have to sell them to the companies and persuade that they are good fit and hire them. Of course, you have to match their skill set as close as possible and not a drop off high school teen to a managerial role. Whatever with commission based, you can make good $ if you are good at it + working very hard.

Same as Realtors, some people doing super well and tons of them barely make a living.
Aug 30, 2019
822 posts
635 upvotes
Brampton
One thing i don’t understand is recruiters are not technical people all they ask you is keywords posted in job description. If you say yes to all of them and agree on rate, they will submit your profile. Some of them do reference check on employer’s behalf thats all. To me it looks like employer don’t want to do all this on their own.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5676 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
They asking for birthday and SIN. should we give it to them?