Careers

Job with Region - Reference from current manager requirement?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2019 8:03 am
[OP]
Jan 8, 2007
427 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

Job with Region - Reference from current manager requirement?

For the past 5 months I have been going through a job application process with extensive background checks for a municipal government job within the GTA. I just found out that I didn’t get it even though I was the only person left in the pool (according to them).

I basically had one foot in the door and they came in at the very last minute and demanded that I provide my current manager's contact information for a referral.

Needless to say, this was not something I was comfortable with providing! I did provide referrals from two other manager's at my current employer (and 9 other references - 11 in total!) but I guess that wasn't enough. This is with law enforcement (a role within their Finance department) so the background check process is quite vigorous.

For those that work for municipal governments, is a referral from your current manager normally required?
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
719 upvotes
I found it is now common that companies are asking current manager for the reference check. Lot of people wouldn't be comfortable about that especially most people won't tell current manager that they are applying jobs .....

To me, reference check is kind of useless, I have been asked to be the reference for several times, and of course those people expected me to give them good reference, otherwise they wouldn't ask me.

I would say probation would be way more important that employers can actually see how you perform
Sheek wrote: For the past 5 months I have been going through a job application process with extensive background checks for a municipal government job within the GTA. I just found out that I didn’t get it even though I was the only person left in the pool (according to them).

I basically had one foot in the door and they came in at the very last minute and demanded that I provide my current manager's contact information for a referral.

Needless to say, this was not something I was comfortable with providing! I did provide referrals from two other manager's at my current employer (and 9 other references - 11 in total!) but I guess that wasn't enough. This is with law enforcement (a role within their Finance department) so the background check process is quite vigorous.

For those that work for municipal governments, is a referral from your current manager normally required?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2001
1275 posts
174 upvotes
Mississauga
References are not that reliable. If they are really serious they should be looking at high level security clearance. That provides more security than a reference.