• Apr 3rd, 2019 1:18 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
666 posts
322 upvotes
Mississauga

Job Scam?

I applied for a job posting and got a reply back almost immediately from a recruiter for the company. They told me about the job and everything like that, but something seems off. Each time they contacted me, they had to emphasize to reply back as soon as possible (EVERY time they emailed me, they're like "Please do ____ ASAP", as if there's some big rush), constantly checking in each email to see if I'm still interested. The position is a contracted one, and it sounds almost like I might have to stay at the job the entire contract(even if something were to happen making me want to quit)? I have the name of the company and it doesn't seem like a major one, it had maybe a few reviews on Google, but no real activity on social media lately.

The name they left in the bottom of the email is their name, but the name on the email account itself is a different name. Eventually they called me to set up an interview (the name on the caller ID was a different name from their own, or one showing up on their email account, and after googling, the name from that number seemed to be someone from Randstad?), but now they want me to click and accept a "right to represent". I have no idea what that is.

Do people think this is a legit job/posting? I could DM you the name of the companies involved(recruitment staff and company I applied for). But I just don't want to end up going for a job that ends up being something shady, or possibly accepting something which has negative ramifications.

If I even have to post all this, maybe it's not worth even going after? If I have this much doubts before even interviewing, who knows how I'd feel if I actually got the job itself (possibly shady business, or they just don't end up paying me)
Last edited by dxbender on May 10th, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Feb 13, 2017
369 posts
348 upvotes
toronto, ontario
Trust your gut. 100% scam.

EDIT: Not the "Nigerian prince offering riches"-type scam. More likely an unregistered, unlicensed, totally incompetent "job agency" (usually 1 person fly-by-night operation)... in short, a complete waste of time.
Last edited by Guest5666777784 on Apr 3rd, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
666 posts
322 upvotes
Mississauga
PhotoSmurf wrote: Trust your gut. 100% scam.
I figured so. Too bad I sent in my resume so they have my info. I already agreed to an interview day/time, but apparently I can't go until I accept the "right to represent" stuff. I guess I could just let them down easy, be like "I got another job offer".

Also, who downvoted this thread? Why?
Mar 31, 2019
35 posts
26 upvotes
This sounds like a recruiter agency (Temp Agency) . Not a scam just desperate to have you. They take part of your wage if your successfully hired.

Never been through an agency but if you want the job continue the process
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
666 posts
322 upvotes
Mississauga
Snugglebean wrote: This sounds like a recruiter agency (Temp Agency) . Not a scam just desperate to have you. They take part of your wage if your successfully hired.

Never been through an agency but if you want the job continue the process
The salary itself was slightly over minimum wage, so I'm guessing the amount they take is probably the difference here? So in the end it's probably a minimum wage job while going through some sketchy process. They kept emphasizing to me to NOT mention how I heard about the job when going for an interview. Just too many red flags (no pun intended).
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4630 posts
2733 upvotes
interested, DM me the name!

:D
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7011 posts
1363 upvotes
Scarborough
They gonna get like 25 bucks from the company and pay you min wage. Not worth it