Careers

Jobs for graduate accounting student without experience?

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2018 2:47 am
Aug 29, 2008
709 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto

Jobs for graduate accounting student without experience?

So I just graduated a few weeks ago from bachelor of commerce honors specializing in accounting at the University of Ottawa. As I did not do any co-op or related to my field I have no experience whatsoever. I'm looking for advise based on my specific situation.

Background info about myself: While in last year of school I added several thousands in debt on my credit card as I did not want to work and study in order to make sure I graduate quick without delays. Also I have my student loan to start paying in a few months. Before I used to own my carpet cleaning and painting business which I lost most of my clients because of going back to school full time and it may be too much money and risk to get it back running so that's not an option now that I need money ASAP. I also worked as a car salesman last year for a few months and while I liked it, it's not something I would do for a living for more than a year and the money isnt great either. I don't mind working 60 hours a week or more if a job requires.

I'm considering 2 types of jobs:
1. Job in sales or management that will pay well so I can pay my bills (I could also consider management as a career path)
2. A job as a bookkeeper accounts receivable/payable or something else that does not necessarily require experience but also doesn't give me meaningful experience or a nice paycheque.

It really gives me peace of mind to be debt free so I'm more inclined in working for the money before working for the career. I wish I could have both. What would you do?
and what kind of jobs would you recommend in either/both situation?

Edit: Also wanted to add, I live in Ottawa, may be open to relocate to Toronto. I assume there is more jobs but also more demand, would that increase my chances?
Last edited by Gero43 on May 29th, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
Gero43 wrote: So I just graduated a few weeks ago from bachelor of commerce honors specializing in accounting at the University of Ottawa. As I did not do any co-op or related to my field I have no experience whatsoever. I'm looking for advise based on my specific situation.

Background info about myself: While in last year of school I added several thousands in debt on my credit card as I did not want to work and study in order to make sure I graduate quick without delays. Also I have my student loan to start paying in a few months. Before I used to own my carpet cleaning and painting business which I lost most of my clients because of going back to school full time and it may be too much money and risk to get it back running so that's not an option now that I need money ASAP. I also worked as a car salesman last year for a few months and while I liked it, it's not something I would do for a living for more than a year and the money isnt great either. I don't mind working 60 hours a week or more if a job requires.

I'm considering 2 types of jobs:
1. Job in sales or management that will pay well so I can pay my bills (I could also consider management as a career path)
2. A job as a bookkeeper accounts receivable/payable or something else that does not necessarily require experience but also doesn't give me meaningful experience or a nice paycheque.

It really gives me peace of mind to be debt free so I'm more inclined in working for the money before working for the career. I wish I could have both. What would you do?
and what kind of jobs would you recommend in either/both situation?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Aug 29, 2008
709 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
Do you mean talent as in skills or as in experience? Either or, sending resumes wont get me to the interview without the experience.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
2151 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
Go to an agency, get a crappy back office job, build your skills and try to accomplish something so you can get that accounting job.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
Fund accounting always need more bodies. High turn over rate. Just get out before the end of year 1.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1811 posts
2410 upvotes
BC
Gero43 wrote: I'm considering 2 types of jobs:
It's nice to be debt free but don't wait around if accounting is your career. Didn't say whether you are also considering becoming a CPA. Regardless, the longer you're away from what you should be doing the less marketable you become. Start by applying for every accounting clerk job you can find, use Linked-in as often job opportunities will pop up that match your profile, or apply for SP3 or SP4 jobs with the CRA as they are always looking for people who have some accounting courses as T1 tax return reviewers (not the same as auditors (AU) who need to to be qualified as CPAs). There should be plenty of jobs if you are anywhere close to a big city and get going!!! Don't waste your time trying to make lots of money at the onset. Otherwise you've just waste all your money going into debt to get an accounting degree and then don't get to use it. You basically get a "pass" when you just graduate when it comes to your employment history since nobody expects you to have a lot of accounting experience. But an employer who sees a 2 - 3 year gap between graduating and then commencing to look an accounting position, will start to wonder why? Once you are too far removed from doing accounting, they will basically assume you've forgotten how to do it and wouldn't even bother giving you an interview.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
If you want to be debt free quick - come out west. If you are hard working and eager - there is room for you here
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)