Careers

Jobs for my 56 & 55 year old parents?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2006 10:27 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2208 posts
537 upvotes

Jobs for my 56 & 55 year old parents?

I'm trying to get some ideas for jobs that my parents can do until they hit 65.

They sold their convenience store (bonus points for anyone that can guess their nationality!) last year and are now looking for a job where they can make a little bit of money.

Their experience is 20 years of running convenience stores (wow, long time...)

There are two possibilities:

1. Open another small business:

There are a lot of issues with this. Initial investment is quite large, long hours, etc. On the other hand, it is what they used to do.

There is another factor in which many people are not going to small stores anymore to buy anything. Cigarettes were (and still are) the #1 profit maker in small stores but that is dying down due to people quiting and government controls on public smoking.

2. Find a position somewhere:

The only problem I see with this is that my parents are immigrants with limited english. Having owned a store for 20 years has helped them learn basic english, so simple jobs should not be a problem.

Some ideas that I've had are:

- postalperson (delivering mail)
- cashier
- production worker

If anybody else has any ideas on what they could appy for, I would greatly appreciate it :)
31 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
24700 posts
1833 upvotes
Markham, ON
open a korean restaurant? ...kimchi and korean cuisine are the trend due to the success of the korean tv series
Sr. Member
Jul 19, 2005
748 posts
telemarketers....security guards....door to door flyer deliverys?? Check with ctc, zellers, walmart, price chopper, loblaws etc.
GO LEAFS GO!!!!!
Vote Liberal!!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1905 posts
290 upvotes
Toronto
i don't think delivery job is good for your parents given their age.. work in postal office to sort letters maybe?
Sr. Member
Dec 16, 2003
682 posts
21 upvotes
Scar
zero_ wrote:i don't think delivery job is good for your parents given their age.. work in postal office to sort letters maybe?
isn't working in the postal office sort letters(canada post that is) better pay that opening a convenience store?? i don't think it is that easy to get the job...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 28, 2002
8319 posts
151 upvotes
Kitchener
Whatever happened to retiring and enjoying life?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2005
2431 posts
6 upvotes
They need to work for themselves at that age. No one wants a boss at both half your age and intelligence telling you what's up every flippin day.
Sr. Member
Jul 15, 2005
514 posts
Your mom should stay home man. As for your dad, security guard is the easiest. Maybe try for working at a university or a government building, so it wont be that stressful.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1481 posts
12 upvotes
I'll take a crack at this..

They sold their convenience store (bonus points for anyone that can guess their nationality!) last year and are now looking for a job where they can make a little bit of money.

Brown? Korean?

Anyways.. like others have mentioned, being at their age, last thing you want is a 20-30 year bossing you around for 8-10/hr.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 23, 2003
2174 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Contract Agent? You have to pay for training and get a dedicated phone line, but they can work from home. It may actually work out in the long run. I don't have any experience though, I was just browsing through job sites.
Banned
Jan 21, 2004
2600 posts
4 upvotes
Open a dry cleaning business
or a lottery booth
Fineprint: Any brand that have [rfdlink=#]double underline link[/rfdlink] on my posts are not endorsed by me (unless stated otherwise) and automatically placed by the forum software for the site owners' commercial interests.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2005
4423 posts
150 upvotes
Mississauga
vending machine business.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
poppa wrote:Contract Agent? You have to pay for training and get a dedicated phone line, but they can work from home. It may actually work out in the long run. I don't have any experience though, I was just browsing through job sites.

omg, thanks!

I want this job! I could do this on top of my "spying work". I already have a home office.... ;)

[rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=194]Audible[/rfdlink]: The Internet's largest provider of premium spoken audio services. Named the best consumer Web service by CNet.com (April 2003). [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=194]Audible[/rfdlink] is the site where people come to download from a vast inventory of audio and spoken word products for downloading or streaming via the Web.
Go to: www.audible.com to learn more about us.

The Calls: Help our customers needing assistance with their web orders. Work available throughout the day. Fun work from your home.

Target Earnings Range:
$16-$18.50 per hour

and if the pay is in US $$$ bingo!
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2208 posts
537 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:open a korean restaurant? ...kimchi and korean cuisine are the trend due to the success of the korean tv series
thelefteyeguy wins the bonus points! While ericssonboi answered the question directly, thelefteyeguy already assumed the nationality :)

I talked to my parents about the restaurant. It is a lot of work to do it, though I think it would be great if they did.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2208 posts
537 upvotes
Thanks for the suggestions!

I forgot about the lotto booth. That would be an ok endeavour. They are hard to buy at a busy place though (like Union station or any of the big malls).

I'll take a look at security guard. Where do they post openings for guards?

There are not a lot of openings at canada post right now. Any other places I should take a look at? hmm... maybe fedex and UPS...

Thanks all. Keep them coming :)
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 27, 2005
701 posts
My house.
PennyArcade wrote:Thanks for the suggestions!

I forgot about the lotto booth. That would be an ok endeavour. They are hard to buy at a busy place though (like Union station or any of the big malls).

I'll take a look at security guard. Where do they post openings for guards?

There are not a lot of openings at canada post right now. Any other places I should take a look at? hmm... maybe fedex and UPS...

Thanks all. Keep them coming :)
Companies post vacancies for security guard positions in newspapers alot of the time.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 22, 2005
787 posts
ericssonboi wrote:I'll take a crack at this..

They sold their convenience store (bonus points for anyone that can guess their nationality!) last year and are now looking for a job where they can make a little bit of money.

Brown? Korean?

Anyways.. like others have mentioned, being at their age, last thing you want is a 20-30 year bossing you around for 8-10/hr.
destination --> PACIFIC MALL <--- plenty of jobs i guess.
faizal :lol:

Top