Careers

Jobs that pay more in Canada than the US

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2017 11:28 am
Jul 28, 2017
3 posts

Jobs that pay more in Canada than the US

I saw this Maclean's article and it got me wondering what jobs can you make more money in Canada than the US with? It seems that most of the professions (engineering, accounting, doctors, lawyers, etc) make way more in the US.
The article says that some public union careers such as firefighting, teaching, and policing can make six figures but is there anything else out there? I guess there are some blue collar careers in the oil sands/mines that can make a good wage.

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/business ... per-class/
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Maybe it is just me, but I find the quality of life a lot better in Canada than the US.

Sure we have high taxes and our dollar is weak.

But all you have to do is watch LivePD or CNN and be thankful that we don't have that crap in Canada
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Any min wage job in Canada pays better especially starting Jan 1 2018. Too bad a McD's meal will cost $15 by then.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1145 posts
879 upvotes
Gee wrote: Maybe it is just me, but I find the quality of life a lot better in Canada than the US.

Sure we have high taxes and our dollar is weak.

But all you have to do is watch LivePD or CNN and be thankful that we don't have that crap in Canada
While I do agree to a certain extent, your reasoning is horrible.
Canada is cleaner and far safer (most places) with cleaner water and a lot more trees.

But what's reported on CNN will hardly affect the average resident in the US. It's not like Trump failing in the White House will impact their life in any meaningful way. Him failing = status quo = nothing happened.

Many government jobs will pay better in Canada.
E.g.
police (overpaid in Canada)
teachers (overpaid in Canada)
bus driver (overpaid in Canada)

List goes on...
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Walch1102 wrote: While I do agree to a certain extent, your reasoning is horrible.
Canada is cleaner and far safer (most places) with cleaner water and a lot more trees.

But what's reported on CNN will hardly affect the average resident in the US. It's not like Trump failing in the White House will impact their life in any meaningful way. Him failing = status quo = nothing happened.

Many government jobs will pay better in Canada.
E.g.
police (overpaid in Canada)
teachers (overpaid in Canada)
bus driver (overpaid in Canada)

List goes on...
The US is like a police state. Even the police is scared and if you're detained, they handcuff you to make sure you don't run

Police, teachers and bus drivers maybe over paid. But I doubt you'll be complaining if you're a bus driver.
Last edited by Gee on Jul 30th, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 13, 2014
765 posts
450 upvotes
Vancouver
Gee wrote: The US is like a police state. Even the police is scared and if you're detained, they handcuff you to make sure you don't run

Police, teachers and bus drivers maybe over paid. But I doubt you'll be complaining if your a bus driver.
Given the number of expats from western countries who happily and voluntarily live and work in places like Shanghai and Dubai, I have to wonder if even a true police state is really such a big problem, much less what is at most a pseudo police state.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)