John Deere X300 - Good deal?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2019 7:58 am
[OP]
Aug 11, 2019
2 posts

John Deere X300 - Good deal?

Hi Everyone,

Wondering if I can get the opinions' of any experienced riding mower owners out there. I just purchased a property on 1 acre, relatively flat with barely any obstacles.

I came across the following machine for $2,600 (CAD):

- 2007 John Deere x300
- 666 hours, apparently owned by a mechanic and meticulously maintained. Used as a trade in.
- New transmission, 2 new idlers, new blades, oil/filter change, spark plugs etc.
- Deck is in very good shape
- 17HP Kawasaki engine with no history of issues, starts easily and appears to run very smoothly
- 44" snow blower attachment included

The unit looks to be in very good shape; little to no rust and appears to have been stored indoors and well taken care of (obviously, with that amount of hours).

My question is, based on the information above, what do you think I can reasonably expect from this thing? It's had a full tune up and was sold directly by our JD dealer, but the hours are undeniably high. Do you think its worth it if I can get a few hundred hours out of it? From what I understand, the biggest issue with this model is the transmission. I was encouraged by the fact that there's a brand new transmission installed. The dealer claims it has a lot of life left it, but I'm looking for a second opinion.

Thanks for your time,
5 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10371 posts
5583 upvotes
Paris
600 hours isn’t that much for 12 years of mowing, but yes its on the higher side. You will be better off with that machine for $2600 than a big box store D series.

How flat is your acre? If lots of straight always you could look at a used z-track, but it’s JUST a mower. The 300s will do so much more.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2019
2 posts
Good questions Tom. I also just bought an LA115 with 80 hours on it for $1,000. I was planning to use that exclusively for grass while using the x300 primarily as a snowblower. The dealership is 6km from the home and I can transport it so that shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Planning to do as much proactive maintenance as I can can, but definitely not a pro mechanic by any means...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10371 posts
5583 upvotes
Paris
I’m all about giant walk behind snowblowers vs attaching snowblowers to smaller tractors.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9077 posts
10430 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
BMurf12345 wrote: Good questions Tom. I also just bought an LA115 with 80 hours on it for $1,000. I was planning to use that exclusively for grass while using the x300 primarily as a snowblower. The dealership is 6km from the home and I can transport it so that shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Planning to do as much proactive maintenance as I can can, but definitely not a pro mechanic by any means...
It brings tears to my eyes seeing an X series beat up as a snowblower. Unless you have an extremely flat driveway using these as a snowblower is pretty frustrating as trying to go uphill even with weights and chains is brutal. The LA115 is fine for your grass mowing needs. As the other poster suggested a quality walk behind is better money spent. And be careful going too big on those walk behinds while tempting a smaller more maneuverable unit is good... like 28” or so. The weight of the 36” gets a bit unmanageable at times.

Added: https://www.consumerreports.org/snow-bl ... -bad-idea/
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3644 posts
1188 upvotes
Edmonton
Just gonna let you know, John Deere uses specialty screws/bolts where you will need some tamper proof tools. And it's not your regular 6- tipped torx with a hole in the center. It's a 5-tipped torx with a hole. Let's just say your friendly neighborhood Canadian tire doesn't stock it.

Basic stuff should be okay but the complex stuff do use these screws (for example, fuel pump)
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8