• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2019 10:21 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 17, 2008
10783 posts
3491 upvotes

john wood vs rheem water heater

Of the 2, which one is more reliable and importantly, more efficient? (since electric water heater consumes a LOT --- 2-3kW per shower)

I'm talking about the base models.

Also, as a side note, would you consider a tankless vs a tank?
5 replies
Jan 19, 2013
458 posts
268 upvotes
Ottawa
They’re both big players.
Find one that has a brass drain valve and which ever is more insulated.
Efficiency speaking, electric elements are 100% efficient.
Don’t even consider tankless unless you have 200amp service. They suck up 15-20kw for whole house unit.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8413 posts
8877 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
They are both reliable like Honda’s! So go for it!
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16782 posts
1681 upvotes
Thornhill
We have a tanked JW. Probably 17 years old? It did leak about 10 years ago from the drain - turns out the drain was some stupid cheap nylon thing and I just replaced it with brass.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3936 posts
1689 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Not an endorsement but John D Wood seems to be very popular with plumbers in the Vancouver area, at least on flyers advertising fast replacement service. I assumed it was due to higher margins or some such.

As for the electric tankless, be aware that you'll need at least 2-3 (2 is for a very low-power unit) pairs of circuit panel spots (presumably full and not tandem) free to supply enough power. I looked at it and my panel didn't have enough free slots.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
706 upvotes
Waterloo
Messerschmitt wrote: Of the 2, which one is more reliable and importantly, more efficient? (since electric water heater consumes a LOT --- 2-3kW per shower)

I'm talking about the base models.

Also, as a side note, would you consider a tankless vs a tank?
In terms of efficiency, there is no difference in electric water heaters since they are all nearly 100% efficient ( depending on the insulation which these days is pretty good ), In terms of longevity, buy whicvhever one and then replace the anode with a powered anode and it will last forever.
----
Pay it forward.