Tissot PR100 COSC Black Dial Quartz Watch $159.99USD

Deal Link:
Price:
159.99 USD
Savings:
72%off
Retailer:
Jomashop
Not sure if hot or not for a Swiss quartz watch . Perhaps some watch experts can chime in on this. There is a code for an extra $5 off EMAIL5 so $154.99 USD. Estimated shipping,tax and customs adds about $40 So about $258 CAD all-in. They have a few other styles similarly priced. The Bay has the same watch on clearance for $390.
63 replies
Jul 17, 2018
286 posts
245 upvotes
Yeah it's a pretty good deal but this model regularly goes on sale especially at jomashop. Nice watch overall considering the cosc, which may or may not mean anything to some collectors
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13352 posts
1955 upvotes
Toronto
Accuracy is nice and my quartz watches are within 10 seconds a year, which is far more accurate than the seiko 5 at within 15 seconds a DAY.

10 seconds a year.... Far more accurate than most people are lol.

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20303 posts
2279 upvotes
YUL
MoMoneyNow wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 6:53 am
What does 'cosc' mean?
COntrol Oficiel Suisse des Chronometres
https://www.watchtime.com/featured/what ... d-to-know/

"All COSC-certified quartz timepieces must be thermocompensated which is a necessary feature of the high-accuracy quartz (HAQ) designation. This means that the movement can adjust automatically to the frequency of the oscillator according to the ambient conditions. It also must be completely watertight to keep moisture out. Each quartz chronometer is tested for 13 days in one position — compared to 15 for wristwatches/pocket watches and 19 for onboard clocks — at 3 different temperatures, and 4 different humidity levels. As you can see below, there are less total categories than what mechanical wristwatches/pocket watches are tested for, but the rate levels are much stricter"
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13068 posts
3684 upvotes
Toronto
Nice watch, but quartz... no thanks. Everyone has a drawer of dead quartz watches. Go to a Value Village and it's a sad, quartz watch graveyard.

It's worth noting that even a Chinese garbage quartz watch will be more accurate than a COSC certified automatic / mechanical watch.

But mechanicals are more fun and ultimately lower maintenance.
If you care about resale value, mechanical is the way to go, it's getting very hard to get decent amounts of money for most quartz watches.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13068 posts
3684 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 7:34 am
Accuracy is nice and my quartz watches are within 10 seconds a year, which is far more accurate than the seiko 5 at within 15 seconds a DAY.
Cheap automatics are very YMMV with sample variation. It's not hard to find one that is -/+ 5 sec a day out of the box. Seiko 5 tolerances are like -30 to +45 sec a day, but most run far better than that.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13068 posts
3684 upvotes
Toronto
This Tissot is a nice looking dress watch and the price is pretty good for a COSC certified watch, it has the "quartz discount" because most watch people want automatics these days.
Apr 21, 2008
314 posts
91 upvotes
hightech wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 7:34 am

10 seconds a year.... Far more accurate than most people are lol.
THIS lol...I love my Seiko 5 (and was my first to start the collection) but holy shit either its a lemon or the thing just cant keep time within a day - runs too fast or too slow...smh

My Orients (bambinos) on the other hand are spot on
Jan 24, 2009
740 posts
399 upvotes
Montreal
This is NOT a mechanical watch, and some people (ahem! watch snobs) would scoff at a COSC certification for a quartz watch as quartz will generally keep time better over a mechanical movement.

However the certification for quartz is not to be sneezed at and the certification is adapted to the drawbacks of quartz movements, namely that they are very sensitive to temperature and humidity variations. A COSC certified quartz watch will be generally engineered to remain stable and accurate under varying temperature and humidity variations, which most movements do not (Bulova precisionist and some Citizens do however).

So this is a pretty decent price for a Swiss brand with a nice stainless steel bracelet and sapphire crystal at a modern size of 39mm. The only thing I don't like is the cyclops over the date, but I'm considering going for it.

Keep in mind to add shipping, exchange, and 5% duty and taxes, all added up still cheaper than what you can buy in Canada from Tissot.

Not sure how Jomashop ships but beware of brokerage fees as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3391 posts
110 upvotes
Richmond
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 9:30 am
Nice watch, but quartz... no thanks. Everyone has a drawer of dead quartz watches. Go to a Value Village and it's a sad, quartz watch graveyard.

It's worth noting that even a Chinese garbage quartz watch will be more accurate than a COSC certified automatic / mechanical watch.

But mechanicals are more fun and ultimately lower maintenance.
If you care about resale value, mechanical is the way to go, it's getting very hard to get decent amounts of money for most quartz watches.
The "low maintenance" of automatic watches is very misleading. You're looking at a $10 battery change every few years for quartz, versus $300+ to service a mechanical watch every 5-10 years. Some servicing has cost me $1000+
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13068 posts
3684 upvotes
Toronto
randomroyalty wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 9:42 am
However the certification for quartz is not to be sneezed at and the certification is adapted to the drawbacks of quartz movements, namely that they are very sensitive to temperature and humidity variations. A COSC certified quartz watch will be generally engineered to remain stable and accurate under varying temperature and humidity variations, which most movements do not (Bulova precisionist and some Citizens do however).
That's good to know, but this is a dress watch, it's a bit of a joke that's it's COSC certified for extreme conditions. As you said earlier, the general consensus is that COSC certification is not necessary for a quartz watch.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13068 posts
3684 upvotes
Toronto
M@rk wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 9:44 am
The "low maintenance" of automatic watches is very misleading. You're looking at a $10 battery change every few years for quartz, versus $300+ to service a mechanical watch every 5-10 years. Some servicing has cost me $1000+
It depends on the watch and your standards, I was thinking more along the lines of :

Buy a Seiko5 or Orient automatic watch for $150... use it for ten years or more. If taken care of it should go for about 10 years without needing service, but it depends on your accuracy standards.
After 10 years, sell it or donate it, no point paying to service a $150 automatic watch.

For Rolex, Omega etc, the cost of servicing an automatic can definitely be high.
I have seen way too many people throw quartz watches in a drawer after 2 years when the battery dies. The number of people selling quartz watches with dead batteries on Kijiji is just embarassing.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13352 posts
1955 upvotes
Toronto
randomroyalty wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 9:42 am
This is NOT a mechanical watch, and some people (ahem! watch snobs) would scoff at a COSC certification for a quartz watch as quartz will generally keep time better over a mechanical movement.

So this is a pretty decent price for a Swiss brand with a nice stainless steel bracelet and sapphire crystal at a modern size of 39mm. The only thing I don't like is the cyclops over the date, but I'm considering going for it.

Keep in mind to add shipping, exchange, and 5% duty and taxes, all added up still cheaper than what you can buy in Canada from Tissot.

Not sure how Jomashop ships but beware of brokerage fees as well.
Factor in 20% Duty on these watches and the fact that the warranty is from Jomashop and NOT the Swatch Group.

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13068 posts
3684 upvotes
Toronto
Gonad wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 9:40 am
THIS lol...I love my Seiko 5 (and was my first to start the collection) but holy shit either its a lemon or the thing just cant keep time within a day - runs too fast or too slow...smh

My Orients (bambinos) on the other hand are spot on
I own a lot of cheap automatics, I just buy on Amazon due to easy returns. I test it out of the box and if it is more than -10/10+ a day, I return it. Very easy to find one that gains or loses less than ten sec a day and even five sec a day isn't hard.

Orient is hand made in Japan and they do a better job regulating their movements before shipping vs cheap Seiko, from my experience.

I have a bunch of cheap Invictas with rebranded Seiko movements and most run within 2-10 sec a day out of the box.