545 posts
1824 upvotes

Journie 2x or 3x points on Premium Fuel

Deal Link:
Expiry:
March 2, 2021
Retailer:
Journie
There are a few Journie promotions on now, with the latest one being 2x (for Journie only) or 3x points (for Journie + linked CIBC card) on Premium Fuel. Expires March 2nd. Would be better if it were for all fuel types.
journie1.PNG
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."― John Ruskin
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1345 posts
311 upvotes
Ottawa
Anyone worked out the return rate with Ultramar vs ESSO Vs she’ll vs CT?
[OP]
Aug 29, 2017
545 posts
1824 upvotes
oceans_end wrote: Anyone worked out the return rate with Ultramar vs ESSO Vs she’ll vs CT?
It's a bit tricky because it depends where you are at with Journie points between 0-300. In short, the base earn rate for paying with CIBC is ~3 cents/litre. With 3x rate promotion, it will bring you to ~9c/L minimum for premium fuel. But if you also reach the 300 point threshold, you get another 7c/L discount on top. That means, you could potentially save ~16c/L on a fill-up, with ~9c/L most other times, during the current promotion for premium fuel.

In my area Pioneer / Ultramar also tend to be cheaper than other gas stations to start off with. That's another thing to consider.
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."― John Ruskin
Aug 28, 2013
722 posts
449 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Not that many Journie places in Richmond Hill. Have to go to Aurora. Thanks OP though.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7051 posts
1488 upvotes
BC
BuciMaci wrote: It's a bit tricky because it depends where you are at with Journie points between 0-300. In short, the base earn rate for paying with CIBC is ~3 cents/litre. With 3x rate promotion, it will bring you to ~9c/L minimum for premium fuel. But if you also reach the 300 point threshold, you get another 7c/L discount on top. That means, you could potentially save ~16c/L on a fill-up, with ~9c/L most other times, during the current promotion for premium fuel.

In my area Pioneer / Ultramar also tend to be cheaper than other gas stations to start off with. That's another thing to consider.
Unless I'm missing something, the 3x doesn't apply to the CIBC discount, just the points earned.

The savings you get increase with the size of your fuel tank, here's a chart (excluding CIBC card discount and the freebies at 75 & 150 points) that shows the effective fuel savings with the different multipliers:
Journie.PNG

CIBC adds 3c/L discount to all levels.
Jan 13, 2012
442 posts
483 upvotes
Vancouver
The math isn't quite as good in BC as Chevron tends to be the most expensive of all the stations. They do have ethanol free 94 octane dino juice though, so they get my motorcycle gas dollars.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1583 posts
412 upvotes
chris5555 wrote: The math isn't quite as good in BC as Chevron tends to be the most expensive of all the stations. They do have ethanol free 94 octane dino juice though, so they get my motorcycle gas dollars.
Unless you are using regular , it too hard to calculate in BC. Shell charges 21 cents more for 91. Chev 25 cents for 94. Esso 19 cents for 91. And reward points varies. It comes down to which company has u prefer. I'm using Chevron 94 until prices go high
Jan 13, 2012
442 posts
483 upvotes
Vancouver
jon604 wrote: Unless you are using regular , it too hard to calculate in BC. Shell charges 21 cents more for 91. Chev 25 cents for 94. Esso 19 cents for 91. And reward points varies. It comes down to which company has u prefer. I'm using Chevron 94 until prices go high
Agreed, the math and personal preferences figure into things a lot more. I hate ethanol so it's basically Shell or Chevron 94 now. As recent AM deals have been crap, it looks like I'll be on Chevron til March. My 25 cents a gallon reward for American Shell expired recently, which reminded me how much we're getting killed here :(
May 2, 2017
124 posts
133 upvotes
jon604 wrote: Unless you are using regular , it too hard to calculate in BC. Shell charges 21 cents more for 91. Chev 25 cents for 94. Esso 19 cents for 91. And reward points varies. It comes down to which company has u prefer. I'm using Chevron 94 until prices go high
Are those markup on premium fuel in BC consistent across all regions? I'm in Metro Vancouver and I find Shell tends to charge the same if not more for 91 than Chevron for 94 when their regular posted prices are equal. That's why my default is always Chevron as opposed to Shell in my area, but I do occasionally drive around my neighborhood to check on their prices in case the trend changes.