Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
20 upvotes

Joycity Tires (Markham) Review

Just wanted to share with you that I would not go to Joycity Tires in Markham.

Tires quoted in store was $50 higher than what was quoted over the phone the day before. Tires were already $50 more (at the initial quote) than SimplyTires but I figured if you are in the east end, the $50 premium may be worth the hassle of driving to the west end. But when I went to the store to put a deposit, it was $100 more than SimplyTires so I explained that I was previously quoted $50 less over the phone. No dice... then I mentioned that SimplyTires is $100 less and asked if you can at least match the phone quote from your store and he said no I heard wrong and to just buy from SimplyTires and turned around. I don't expect great customer service from Asian shops but there are better ways to handle the situation like "no, that is the best price." Anyways, I walked out of the shop. Also, this sales guy was literally yelling at this customer because he got frustrated with providing a quote. Also Joycity charges an additional 3% processing fee for credit and debit transactions, so that brings the price to $140 more at Joycity than Simply, and you have to deal with BS/rude customer service (try giving them a call and you can instantly hear their attitude). The PLUS of Joycity are: Roadforce balancer (cannot confirm if they actually use the Roadforce technology, they are not listed at gsp9700.com but I did see the machine) and located in Markham.

I'd recommend SimplyTires because:
1) Allen provides GOOD customer service even when he is swamped unlike the tire shop above
2) Allen's shop uses state of the art equipment... it's no surprise you see high-end sports cars there whereas Joycity feels like a shop in a storage warehouse (kind of like Mike's shop in Niagara Falls)
3) Allen's prices are like the best, I cannot find a shop in the east end with a Roadforce balancer that can come close to his prices... even TireRack prices are similar (if you factor in HST on the new tires from TireRack and the Canadian MIR)
52 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3227 posts
881 upvotes
Vaughan
^ sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'll admit, I don't expect great customer service from typical Asian stores in general.

I did buy from joy city tires. I picked up a set of the 15" multi fit alloys + hankook w409. The price on the website matches, what they quoted me. However, I didn't call. I went to the store, and asked. I don't have any balancing issues with my wheels at all. I like dealing with places like this, because they quote you prices tax in, and they don't add in fees after. The price they quote you, is the price you pay. Well that was my experience. However, like I said. I didn't get a quote over the phone.

As for the the 3% difference when using credit card. I don't have any issue with that, since simplytire gives you 3% off when you pay cash. So if you don't pay cash @ simply tire, they've already factored in the 3% extra. It's just they don't add it in as a separate charge.

You can get some good deals at simply tire. I have bought from them in the past (at least 3 different sets of tires). However, this time around, they couldn't match what joycity tires was offering me. $840 taxes in, for 15" alloys + winters. It would have cost me around $1000 at simply tire, although not the same rims, since I only want to use these for the winter time. So really not an apples to apples comparison. Simply has a larger stock of tires.

My tires I bought from joycity. One tire was taken from the display area. The other tires I asked about (conti extreme winter contacts), they didn't have in my size, although there is a list price on the website. Imo, you can get deals from both shops. You just have to shop around. Ymmv.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19519 posts
2233 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Joy is a family run shop. The guy has his elderly mother helping home with install and dad doing customer service.
Aug 12, 2006
603 posts
172 upvotes
Markham
i dealt with joycity at the midwest location. pleasant experience, good price on the nordfrost 5. there was a bit of a wait to get it all done but the customer service was solid. took my girlfriend's family there too and got a good deal on 16s.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
10396 posts
4278 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Can't comment on JoyCity, never been there. But Simply tires is far from best quality wise, not the cheapest either.

Check out Tire23, Wheels for less
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
6449 posts
3107 upvotes
Germany
Interesting. My family and I have always had a great experience with Scott. I send an e-mail for my quote, confirm it's in stock and schedule a time to show up. It's been absolutely hassle free and the prices have been competitive, if not outright superior to anything else in the East end.

My only gripe was when I did my winters, it was so busy that day that cars were parking in the alleyway where you enter/exit the garage. It made for a tight squeeze getting out, but the experience was otherwise pleasant.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31249 posts
17808 upvotes
Toronto
OP, sorry to hear your bad encounter at the shop.

I had purchased a set from Scott 2 yrs ago at a good price. The email served as pricing quoted confirmation, thus no mistake at all when going in to get the job completed. Overall, it was a satisfied experience for me.

Also went there for the last couple of years for doing the seasonal swaps as well. No issues at all.
Jun 18, 2007
52 posts
5 upvotes
Markham
Also just recently bought winter tires and rims for JoycityTires. Got a quote through e-mail from Scott. Final price was the same as the original quote. I usually change to winter tires a week or two before the rush (change first week of November). No line. Was in-and-out in 5 mins. Will continue buying tires from them as they are two minutes from where I work.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
6002 posts
2182 upvotes
Remember, there's steel case tires on the east end too..... They are great guys there too
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
2018 posts
414 upvotes
GTA
I've been to Tires23, SimplyTire and Steelcase. Tires23, too far and scratched my rims around the bolt section. Just carelessness. SimplyTire is okay but kind of far and inconvenient location for me. Steelcase, I hate their outdoor tire change and would not resolve a bumpy tire ride until the 4th time complaining/rebalancing until finally they changes 2 tires and all was good.

I may try Joycity just for convenience. All tire stores have big mixed reviews.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
478 upvotes
MONTR
phuviano wrote: ^ sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'll admit, I don't expect great customer service from typical Asian stores in general.

I did buy from joy city tires. I picked up a set of the 15" multi fit alloys + hankook w409. The price on the website matches, what they quoted me. However, I didn't call. I went to the store, and asked. I don't have any balancing issues with my wheels at all. I like dealing with places like this, because they quote you prices tax in, and they don't add in fees after. The price they quote you, is the price you pay. Well that was my experience. However, like I said. I didn't get a quote over the phone.

As for the the 3% difference when using credit card. I don't have any issue with that, since simplytire gives you 3% off when you pay cash. So if you don't pay cash @ simply tire, they've already factored in the 3% extra. It's just they don't add it in as a separate charge.

You can get some good deals at simply tire. I have bought from them in the past (at least 3 different sets of tires). However, this time around, they couldn't match what joycity tires was offering me. $840 taxes in, for 15" alloys + winters. It would have cost me around $1000 at simply tire, although not the same rims, since I only want to use these for the winter time. So really not an apples to apples comparison. Simply has a larger stock of tires.

My tires I bought from joycity. One tire was taken from the display area. The other tires I asked about (conti extreme winter contacts), they didn't have in my size, although there is a list price on the website. Imo, you can get deals from both shops. You just have to shop around. Ymmv.
you should try them lebanese shops then.
Dec 24, 2006
138 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Had similar experience as cloud9x. got a set of the nordfrost 5s from Midwest location. No problems at all. Good service overall. Have referred friends and they had no issues too.
Oct 29, 2009
646 posts
328 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: Interesting. My family and I have always had a great experience with Scott. I send an e-mail for my quote, confirm it's in stock and schedule a time to show up. It's been absolutely hassle free and the prices have been competitive, if not outright superior to anything else in the East end.
What he said. I've bought 3 sets of tires from them without a problem. Price is always what I expect it will be.
Nov 3, 2008
540 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a set of winter tires Michelin X-ice from them and had a great experience and was given a great price. This was at the Kennedy Location.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1218 upvotes
aGincourt
Supercooled wrote: Joy is a family run shop. The guy has his elderly mother helping home with install and dad doing customer service.
Why does this sound so depressing
Feb 18, 2007
322 posts
14 upvotes
416 Land
I called around for my size/rims, and the best bang for the amount of bucks I wanted to spend...ALL IN, was Joy City Markham. The plaza the shop is in looks a ghetto townhouse complex, but the prices were fabulous. I sent my buddy there and he was like :?: He saved some coin too in the end. Nuff said.
Nov 22, 2014
1 posts
Canada
I would not recommend this place to anyone. When I bought the winter tires, I was told tire swap, balancing and environmental fee was included. However, when I brought the tires over to them to do the swap, they refused to honor the installation and tried to charge me $30 even though I had a receipt with me. A place who decides to not honor their deal just so they can make couple extra dollars during busy season is NOT a place I want to go back to. I rather pay more to get my tires swap someplace else.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
1124 posts
182 upvotes
Whitby
I've had nothing but good experiences with Joycity through four tire purchases. Always bring a printout of the email quote response they send to completely avoid any miscommunications. Expect the shop to be slammed with customers, be patient, and keep your communication brief and on-point. Pay in cash or debit and you are golden.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2012
2861 posts
927 upvotes
pessimism wrote: I've had nothing but good experiences with Joycity through four tire purchases. Always bring a printout of the email quote response they send to completely avoid any miscommunications. Expect the shop to be slammed with customers, be patient, and keep your communication brief and on-point. Pay in cash or debit and you are golden.
You need to be a little more pessimistic.