PC & Video Games

Just announced... Nintendo Switch OLED...

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2021 12:13 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
joey003 wrote: Oh man, I’ve thought the exact same for years as well. Especially the ecosystem / store front aspect of it.
And Apple has some of the best Bluetooth earphones on the market. Just look at Apple's history of attention to detail in its products. It's sort of the same with Nintendo and its games. The Apple app store is the perfect mechanism to distribute its games. It's not like Apple is short on cash to buy Nintendo. Nintendo is like nothing for Apple. Apple can afford to pay the premium to buy Nintendo and still have plenty of money left over for R&D.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
joey003 wrote:
Or maybe its related to the chip shortage and they’re trying to keep as much in inventory as possible?
It does feel like maybe people at Nintendo had promised their board and stakeholders a new and improved Switch in mid-2021, which is why there were so many rumours of a "Switch Pro". They probably already had the OLED screens sourced and other improvements specced out, but when the chip shortage hit they realized they couldn't upgrade the internals so they were forced to pivot and just release it as-is.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6109 posts
4783 upvotes
joey003 wrote: Yeah, if it was a true Pro option (1080p OLED, 4K when docked, updated processor, etc) it would have made sense to sit above the Switch in the lineup with a higher price.

But this, for $50 difference, why carry two models in such a weird way? Should have just treated it as an update and replaced the current model.

Can’t imagine in the fall when parents are looking. 399 Switch or 449 Switch (OLED model). What’s the difference? Basically the screen and kickstand.

Or maybe its related to the chip shortage and they’re trying to keep as much in inventory as possible?
What baffles me is, why they released the model V2 last year(?). That model literally brought nothing spectacular to the table besides maybe extended battery life.
Last edited by TheSlav on Jul 7th, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
johncraven wrote: OLED for a 720p screen, overkill Face With Tears Of Joy
I don't see any single reason why resolution should be tie to a type of screen.

You do know what is OLED right?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Sejad wrote: What's your obsession with "..." in all your threads? lol
He think he's a manga character.

Let him be
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
PS Vita only has a few exclusives. Everything else is on at least one other console already, including Gravity Rush.

mymuro wrote: Image
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1689 posts
1539 upvotes
vonblock wrote: I don't see any single reason why resolution should be tie to a type of screen.

You do know what is OLED right?
if you care about graphics, resolution and FPS would be higher on the priority list than OLED. this doesn't move the needle for people who are looking for better graphics. it would be like buying a LG C1 today to watch 720p content. You're not spending your money at the right place.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4371 posts
6938 upvotes
Maybe I'll just look into jailbreaking my OG Switch and overclocking it. That would be the biggest performance upgrade compared to everything they've done since launch for docked players, which is nothing. That would also make the OG Switch the most powerful out of all of them! Face With Tears Of JoyNeutral Face

These are the updates they've done in 4 years.

- Give a little extra battery life - Useless if you play docked (hardware update was mostly to stop hacking)
- Lite version - Useless if you play docked
- OLED Screen - Useless if you play docked
- Next gen 4K beast mode kick stand - Nice, useless if you play docked
- Ethernet Port - Decent, but I've been using a USB dongle with ethernet for years already
- Storage capacity increased to 64GB - Thanks Nintendo, still anemic

They did more performance improvements for the 3DS with their iterative upgrades than they have with the Switch.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
johncraven wrote: if you care about graphics, resolution and FPS would be higher on the priority list than OLED. this doesn't move the needle for people who are looking for better graphics. it would be like buying a LG C1 today to watch 720p content. You're not spending your money at the right place.
Again

OLED screen for 720p is not overkill

OLED is for better contrast and image quality. Resolution is about well, resolution and pixel density.

It's still relevant at 720p for a small screen like that. And really 720p at that distance from your eyes is close to 4k on a TV at normal viewing distance.

Sure better graphics are overall better for gaming in my opinion, but the original Switch screen was quite bad. Contrast especially was really bad and colors were washed out. OLED will help a lot.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1689 posts
1539 upvotes
vonblock wrote: Again

OLED screen for 720p is not overkill

OLED is for better contrast and image quality. Resolution is about well, resolution and pixel density.

It's still relevant at 720p for a small screen like that. And really 720p at that distance from your eyes is close to 4k on a TV at normal viewing distance.

Sure better graphics are better, but the original Switch screen was quite bad. Contrast was really bad. OLED will help a lot.
I doubt anyone who didnt own a switch before because of poor graphics will now suddenly decide to buy this because it has an OLED. My point is they really needed the 4K upgrade with 60 fps (for previously 30 fps games) to attract graphics-conscious gamers.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8455 upvotes
GTA
johncraven wrote: I doubt anyone who didnt own a switch before because of poor graphics will now suddenly decide to buy this because it has an OLED. My point is they really needed the 4K upgrade with 60 fps (for previously 30 fps games) to attract graphics-conscious gamers.
I believe the argument here is not about graphics, but that the Switch is actually being improved. Making it 4K 60 is great from a Xbox/PlayStation crowd, but that's not Nintendo. If it was, the Switch would have launched with 1080p support. The Switch is a portable hybrid, so the screen and battery life improvements are very important to its continued success. 4K 60, not so much.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
johncraven wrote: I doubt anyone who didnt own a switch before because of poor graphics will now suddenly decide to buy this because it has an OLED. My point is they really needed the 4K upgrade with 60 fps (for previously 30 fps games) to attract graphics-conscious gamers.
And me, I personally doubt that graphics conscious gamers buy Nintendo products.

Anyway that's another debate.

My point was that OLED advantages are not linked to resolution.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1689 posts
1539 upvotes
yes I agree there are advantages to OLED irrespective of the resolution, but it's an odd move from Nintendo to offer OLED as the tech upgrade instead of 4k
Last edited by johncraven on Jul 8th, 2021 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4371 posts
6938 upvotes
I wouldn't even care if it wasn't 4K. It'd be nice, but with how games on the Switch are, it's not a big deal.

I'd just like enough of a boost to clocks, and a couple extra GB of RAM just from 4GB to like 6GB even. Games are struggling to even hit/hold 30fps on the Switch docked, and that's pathetic.

Continue to develop for the base system, but allow the slightly better hardware to smooth things out. The "New" one would be able to hold 720p 30fps/60fps, and once docked the extra clocks and RAM would allow it to get to a solid 1080p 30fps/60fps.

Yeah an OLED screen is nice, but if a game is already running like crap, it'll just continue to run like crap. Just the jank will look a little nicer.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1561 upvotes
cloak wrote: gotta love: 7inch 6.2inch OLED
Nintendo: Every inch counts !!!
Me: that's what she said !!!
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4662 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto
As I grow older my eyesight is getting worse, having been prescribed progressives recently. I have both the original switch and a lite...but it's getting harder to see things on the screen. Anything to make the screen easier to see is great by my book. Perhaps Nintendo felt the same way for their big older demographic...lol
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2471 posts
2945 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote: This is why I've been saying for years that Apple should just buy Nintendo.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No. WTH has Apple done for gaming with all their trillions? F. And All. Besides, Nintendo has enough of a war-chest to last them well beyond our lifetimes. They're already at 'build theme-parks' level of Disneyification and can basically do what they want.
johncraven wrote: My point is they really needed the 4K upgrade with 60 fps (for previously 30 fps games) to attract graphics-conscious gamers.
Why? The 4k60fps crowd have Sony and MS for consoles, and if you're really that serious about graphics you splurge on a PC and never look back. I struggle to think of any Nintendo franchise that really, really needs the graphical boost. Nintendo will Nintendo.
Bored...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No. WTH has Apple done for gaming with all their trillions? F. And All. Besides, Nintendo has enough of a war-chest to last them well beyond our lifetimes. They're already at 'build theme-parks' level of Disneyification and can basically do what they want.
People are severely underestimating Nintendo for sure...

And the notion about "Nintendo being bad at hardware" is misrepresenting the situation. Nintendo isn't bad at hardware - far from it. I'd assume their R&D churns through so much innovative hardware ideas, but the fact is that Nintendo is less interested in providing bleeding edge hardware if it would compromise their economic bottom line.

They know that they don't need to push out the best graphics or the most robust online component on the market to be competitive because they already have people's money. They don't need to focus on the fastest/best hardware because it's not expected of them, and they can focus instead on profiting off of a loyal customer base, a top-notch set of IP, visionary game direction, and innovative ideas.

This OLED Switch is one such example where they basically just made a marginal improvement to existing tech, and while hardcore gamers and journalists might scoff at it, I know casual gamers who have also been like "whoa did you see the new Switch?" and were wowed by the marketing, the "bigger/better screen" and the kickstand lol
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)