Tags:
None
Nov 30, 2007
85 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa

Just bought the 2010 Tucson?

Hey guys:

Just purchased the 2010 Tucson and picked it up a couple days ago. So far I am impressed with the features and initial quality. So we'll see if this holds up. It's my first foray into Hyundai (Honda and Mazda previous). I got the Limited without Nav and enjoy the many options (wiper defroster, awd, both sunroofs...)

Anyone else in the same boat or thinking of buying one?
21 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1053 posts
287 upvotes
Ottawa
lil_ochef wrote: Anyone else in the same boat or thinking of buying one?
I'm planning on buying a Tucson within the next couple of months, but will go for the base GL model. Which dealership did you buy from and how was the experience? I'm also in Ottawa.

Are the maintenance intervals 3mo/6,000 Km? That's what I've been told, but haven't come across anything official to confirm it. That's the only real negative about the vehicle IMO. Was hoping the maintenance intervals had gone to 6mo/8,000 Km or something along those lines with the redesign.

Congrats on your new ride!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Thanks for point the maintenance interval issue out... I was researching on line and seems like the new Tuscon is still @ every 6000km. It may be of interest to note that newer Kia is every 8000km, which is funny since all Kia newer models are shared with Hyundai ?!
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
1667 posts
385 upvotes
Oakville
I sat in one of these the other day, being a larger guy I was amazed by how roomy it was, it actually seemed larger than the Santa Fe. Although for some reason I couldn't get into the trunk to check out the cargo room, I think this is about the only difference between it and the Santa Fe. How is the the trunk space?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3922 posts
305 upvotes
hdom wrote: Thanks for point the maintenance interval issue out... I was researching on line and seems like the new Tuscon is still @ every 6000km. It may be of interest to note that newer Kia is every 8000km, which is funny since all Kia newer models are shared with Hyundai ?!
What is the purpose of every 3months/6000km? What do they actually do? Doubt most people take their vehicle in for service every 3 months. Probably just wait until the oil needs changed. My car probably sees the dealership every 8 months when the oil needs changed since i dont put many km on.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1053 posts
287 upvotes
Ottawa
The recommended service is for an oil change every 3mo or 6,000Km. At every other service (6mo or 12,000Km intervals) there is additional service required. This is based on a maintenance brochure that I got from the dealer when I went for a test drive. It only covers the Tucson up to the 2009 model year, but apparently there is no change for 2010 models, although I haven't seen anything that confirms this.

Thing is, you would need to show proper service in order to maintain your warranty...
Nov 30, 2007
85 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
Just drove the Tucson to the cottage - 500 kms round trip. Everything seemed tight - fuel economy was on par with what I expected. Looks like about 600 km to a tank of mostly highway...driving at 115-120ish.

As for the required maintenance - it is actually "recommended" maintenance. It is NOT obligatory. If you do not follow the schedule your warranty is fine - as long as you don't abuse it and maintain the vehicle as to not be negligent. For a warranty claim to be denied, it has to be a verifiable, indisputable cause and effect that you missing an oil change or spark plug inspection caused the part failure. However, any self-respecting car lover will treat their babies well.
Sep 12, 2006
991 posts
85 upvotes
lil_ochef wrote: Hey guys:

Just purchased the 2010 Tucson and picked it up a couple days ago. So far I am impressed with the features and initial quality. So we'll see if this holds up. It's my first foray into Hyundai (Honda and Mazda previous). I got the Limited without Nav and enjoy the many options (wiper defroster, awd, both sunroofs...)

Anyone else in the same boat or thinking of buying one?
lil_ochef wrote: Just drove the Tucson to the cottage - 500 kms round trip. Everything seemed tight - fuel economy was on par with what I expected. Looks like about 600 km to a tank of mostly highway...driving at 115-120ish.

As for the required maintenance - it is actually "recommended" maintenance. It is NOT obligatory. If you do not follow the schedule your warranty is fine - as long as you don't abuse it and maintain the vehicle as to not be negligent. For a warranty claim to be denied, it has to be a verifiable, indisputable cause and effect that you missing an oil change or spark plug inspection caused the part failure. However, any self-respecting car lover will treat their babies well.
Was the price right ?

[IMG]http://www.prrag.com/blog/wp-content/up ... barker.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://thescroogereport.files.wordpress ... barker.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1053 posts
287 upvotes
Ottawa
BeaverLiquor wrote: did you actually buy a tucson?
Yeah! Please spill the details: deal and dealership! :) Enquiring minds wanna know.
Feb 26, 2007
438 posts
18 upvotes
Justin wrote: What is the purpose of every 3months/6000km? What do they actually do? Doubt most people take their vehicle in for service every 3 months. Probably just wait until the oil needs changed. My car probably sees the dealership every 8 months when the oil needs changed since i dont put many km on.
Would that void your warranty if you do it every 8 months?

I bought an Accent last year and I really don't drive it much. I have it for exactly 1 year now and I have 6000 kms on it. I'm wondering if I really need to bring it in for an oil change every 6 months.
Nov 30, 2007
85 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
lol...yes I actually bought the Tucson Limited w/o nav. Black.

I brought in the CarCostCanada Report and got it for 500 above invoice. Which on a 33k car is 1.5%. I feel like I got a good deal, esp. since it only took 10 mins before I signed the paper. So, incl. freight it was 32,600 w/o tax (I leased). Oh, Harmony Hyundai in Rockland. Lease rates aren't bad now either - 1.9% for 4 years, 2.9% for 5.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1053 posts
287 upvotes
Ottawa
Super, thanks for the info. I'm in the East end, so will definitely check with Rockland for a quote when I'm ready to buy.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3922 posts
305 upvotes
cyc1120 wrote: Would that void your warranty if you do it every 8 months?

I bought an Accent last year and I really don't drive it much. I have it for exactly 1 year now and I have 6000 kms on it. I'm wondering if I really need to bring it in for an oil change every 6 months.
With GM vehicles I don't think it does. GM vehicles (not sure about other brands) have an oil life indicator. The dealer has said not to bother bringing in the vehicles until it says to change the oil. The life depends on driving conditions etc. I've been told with some customers it does not come on for up to 12000km
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2310 posts
1655 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
lil_ochef wrote: lol...yes I actually bought the Tucson Limited w/o nav. Black.

I brought in the CarCostCanada Report and got it for 500 above invoice. Which on a 33k car is 1.5%. I feel like I got a good deal, esp. since it only took 10 mins before I signed the paper. So, incl. freight it was 32,600 w/o tax (I leased). Oh, Harmony Hyundai in Rockland. Lease rates aren't bad now either - 1.9% for 4 years, 2.9% for 5.
Interesting, I also requested a CCC report on a Elantra Touring GL and was instructed to contact Myers Hyundai for the best price. I'm also in Ottawa East.
Nov 30, 2007
85 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
I'm sure I could have saved more at Bank Street etc, but the convenience of a dealership close to home negated going elsewhere just to save a couple bucks.

I am impressed with Hyundai's quality so far, but it might just be puppy love at this point.

Good luck with the Elantra purchase. Nice ride too.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1053 posts
287 upvotes
Ottawa
lil_ochef wrote: lol...yes I actually bought the Tucson Limited w/o nav. Black.

Your lease agreement includes the buyout price that would apply should you choose to purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease, correct? I asked about lease buyout values last week, but was told that they couldn't provide exact figures, only "estimates". Thought that was either a crock of ***** or the salesperson was very misinformed.

Lease rates are slightly different (i.e. higher) for the base trim.
Nov 30, 2007
85 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
I remembered it being 15 k buyout after 4 years for my Limited. I thought they had to inform you when asked. It's all estimates anyway.

Of course, buying at the end of the lease will cost you more overall than purchasing it from the get-go.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)