Shopping Discussion

Just bought our first HDTV, now what should I buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2010 3:00 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 3, 2003
260 posts
78 upvotes

Just bought our first HDTV, now what should I buy?

Totally spur-of-the-moment buy and jumped on the Visions Samsung 42" plasma HDTV. Since the Boxing Day sales are on, what else should I buy? I'm thinking:

Receiver - I don't think it has HDMI, would I need to buy a new one? I have a 5.1 speaker system.

HD box - prefer a PVR from Shaw as we're currently with them, but open to optik or Bell if there are good deals. Didn't see any deals on outright purchases so anyone know of good promos?

Blu-ray: we don't watch a lot of movies so not urgent, but Visions has one for $57 which might be a good deal?

Any tips on great deals and advice for building our new system would be great, thank you!
15 replies
Dec 26, 2006
571 posts
261 upvotes
Calgary
straysheepie wrote: Totally spur-of-the-moment buy and jumped on the Visions Samsung 42" plasma HDTV. Since the Boxing Day sales are on, what else should I buy? I'm thinking:

Receiver - I don't think it has HDMI, would I need to buy a new one? I have a 5.1 speaker system.

HD box - prefer a PVR from Shaw as we're currently with them, but open to optik or Bell if there are good deals. Didn't see any deals on outright purchases so anyone know of good promos?

Blu-ray: we don't watch a lot of movies so not urgent, but Visions has one for $57 which might be a good deal?

Any tips on great deals and advice for building our new system would be great, thank you!
#1 FOR SURE is an HD box - pointless to have an HDTV without actually having HD television to enjoy.

Call Shaw and ask for loyalty and retentions. Tell them you bought a new HDTV and would like to see what they have to offer - try to aim for a free HD PVR.

If you already have a 5.1 system with a receiver, you won't need a new one right away...if at all.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1187 posts
751 upvotes
Richmond
straysheepie wrote: Totally spur-of-the-moment buy and jumped on the Visions Samsung 42" plasma HDTV. Since the Boxing Day sales are on, what else should I buy? I'm thinking:

bestbuy has a nice PVR for $300 (was $400 about 2 months ago) http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/mot ... 72ecceen02

also you should buy a ps3(for blue-ray+gaming) or an xbox360 like the 4GB slim for $130 at bb/fs http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/mic ... 2515bden02
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
NYR wrote: #1 FOR SURE is an HD box - pointless to have an HDTV without actually having HD television to enjoy.

Call Shaw and ask for loyalty and retentions. Tell them you bought a new HDTV and would like to see what they have to offer - try to aim for a free HD PVR.

i havent had cable in 5 years but i still see my shows in HD thanks to my computer and 99% of the reason to own an HDTV besides sports games is blurays. thats it. You can buy an HD antenna and pick up 10 to 20 free over the air hd channels without paying for'em and for a lot of people that does the trick. If you do watch a lot of tv though and arent computer saavy, then a hd digi box is cheaper on time for you.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1824 posts
591 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote: i havent had cable in 5 years but i still see my shows in HD thanks to my computer and 99% of the reason to own an HDTV besides sports games is blurays. thats it. You can buy an HD antenna and pick up 10 to 20 free over the air hd channels without paying for'em and for a lot of people that does the trick. If you do watch a lot of tv though and arent computer saavy, then a hd digi box is cheaper on time for you.

How do you watch HD from computer? Pm if you dont want to answer here lol
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1397 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote: Downloads the shows he watches In HD quality?

Herp
  • You need HDMI cables obviously, use monoprice.com
  • If you do gaming and still interested in blu-ray then definitely get a PS3 it has all the latest blu-ray updates as well as gaming etc. and ready for 3D TV viewing for the future if you get a 3D TV
  • HD cable if you do a lot of TV viewing
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2005
1530 posts
95 upvotes
+1 for monoprice cables,
also, a surge protector might be good...
Sep 26, 2007
397 posts
70 upvotes
$88 for a 9141 Bell HD PVR for new customers at visions or buy it out for $288 which is really cheap.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
itrocks4u wrote: How do you watch HD from computer? Pm if you dont want to answer here lol

MUCH better than Cable/Satellite/Moonlite/whatever else Robbers trying to offer you...

Huluplus.com
Vudu.com
Netflix.com (HD selection sux)

Ofcourse, you just need US VPN.

Seriously, with Huluplus, you don't even need cab/sat anymore. All of the favorite shows u ever wanted--ALL episodes available, on demand, ALL on HD--and MORE!
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2712 posts
1058 upvotes
TheRed wrote: MUCH better than Cable/Satellite/Moonlite/whatever else Robbers trying to offer you...

Huluplus.com
Vudu.com

Seriously, with Huluplus, you don't even need cab/sat anymore. All of the favorite shows u ever wanted--ALL episodes available, on demand, ALL on HD--and MORE!

You better have a dammed good internet package if you plan to go with the internet for all your hd viewing. That'll add up in a hurry.
Mar 18, 2007
703 posts
217 upvotes
LOL, you need a seriously comfortable couch man, maybe some popcorn (need a microwave too?)
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3863 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
TheRed wrote: MUCH better than Cable/Satellite/Moonlite/whatever else Robbers trying to offer you...

Huluplus.com
Vudu.com

i haven't had cable in 2 years. my hdtv + acer revo + xbmc + utorrent + automatic rss downloader takes care of all of the tv shows i watch. bittorrent webui firefox plugin lets me add torrents remotely from any computer in the house. my iphone notifies me when things are done downloading.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jrees wrote: You better have a dammed good internet package if you plan to go with the internet for all your hd viewing. That'll add up in a hurry.

Yea, it's called TekSavvy unlimited :lol:

Seriously, cable is so last decade. It's all about the internet now. Even my next door neighbour has a HTPC nowadays.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
3463 posts
1108 upvotes
GTA
Blu-Ray Player.
HDTV Box.

HDMI cables.

One of those epic all-in-one remotes?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)