None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7148 posts
6279 upvotes
M6C - Toronto

Just Bought a PS4. Your tips please!

I'm glad to say I've bought a PS4 and looking for tips on getting started.

- Can you download games if you're playing a game at the same time? I don't think the PS3 did that.
- I have heard about the autoupdate that updates your games while you're basically out. Thoughts?
- Anyone have the vertical stand? Is it useful for cooling or more for aesthetics?

Basically, what do you wish you knew when you first bought your system but realized later.

Cheers. My PSN is Said212-
With Fido Mobile!
41 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
Don't stand it on the side if you do not have the stand. It actually has a detrimental effect to the cooling, since air intake happens at the sides. So if you don't have the stand, sit it horizontally.
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
1. Yes you can.
2. This happens and is very useful. Of course, you need to be on PS+ for that, which most PS4 owners are anyway as it's needed for online play.
3. I don't have a stand and wouldn't put a $400 console on it's side when it's meant to stay flat, personally.

There isn't much I wish I knew and realized later. But I'm pretty active on gaming sites, so I was up to date on everything. I would say study the idea of remote play and PS Now, both are very unique, along with the Shareplay feature.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6217 posts
2152 upvotes
calgary
If you double tap the PS button on the controller it will automatically take you to your last opened app or whatever.

Also don't assume if you have installed a disc copy of the game and dont have the disc anymore you can just pay for the license and play the installed copy. Discs and Digital have different copies so you have to delete the disc install and install the digital install. This was a massive headache for me when I tried to play a digital copy of TLOU I redeemed because the previous owner had a physical copy already installed and it wouldn't work and it took me a while to figure out why because on xbox they are one in the same.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6217 posts
2152 upvotes
calgary
Hiitsdj wrote: 1. Yes you can.
2. This happens and is very useful. Of course, you need to be on PS+ for that, which most PS4 owners are anyway as it's needed for online play.
3. I don't have a stand and wouldn't put a $400 console on it's side when it's meant to stay flat, personally.

There isn't much I wish I knew and realized later. But I'm pretty active on gaming sites, so I was up to date on everything. I would say study the idea of remote play and PS Now, both are very unique, along with the Shareplay feature.
Wait, you need PS+ for auto update? I could be wrong but I don't think so..........

PS+ is not really worth it unless you require it to play online.

Also if your looking for something to play but don't want to spend any money there are a few decent F2P games that are worth checking out like Warframe and DC online.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5629 posts
2697 upvotes
Toronto
- Go to settings and turn off the notifications for whenever someone logs in. It can get annoying.
- Go to settings and dim the Dualshock's light bar to extend battery life a bit
- Download the PS4 app to use your smartphone/tablet as a keyboard
- If you want to save bandwidth and storage space, but want to grab a free PS+ game for later use, add it to library instead of downloading
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Wait, you need PS+ for auto update? I could be wrong but I don't think so..........

PS+ is not really worth it unless you require it to play online.

Also if your looking for something to play but don't want to spend any money there are a few decent F2P games that are worth checking out like Warframe and DC online.
100% disagree. I get more than $10 a month in discounts alone. not counting the free games. Anyone who says it isn't worth it is just silly

Anyway, I could be wrong about PS+ needed for auto update. I know it was that way on PS3, I'd never touch a PS4 without PS+ so I could easily be wrong about that.
M1GOmigs wrote: - Go to settings and turn off the notifications for whenever someone logs in. It can get annoying.
- Go to settings and dim the Dualshock's light bar to extend battery life a bit
- Download the PS4 app to use your smartphone/tablet as a keyboard
- If you want to save bandwidth and storage space, but want to grab a free PS+ game for later use, add it to library instead of downloading
Yes, do what this guy says as well, lol. You'll be so happy you did it!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5629 posts
2697 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: PS+ is not really worth it unless you require it to play online.

Not true...

They've had some good free games on PS+ ... Recently, I've enjoyed Injustice, Fez and Guacamelee, but when it came out, Resogun was actually the best launch game, and it was free. I've got countless more backlogged. Considering it's less than the cost of a new game for a year's subscription, and especially if you have a PS3/Vita, it's a no-brainer.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6217 posts
2152 upvotes
calgary
I guess everyone is different

I will say, Infamous first light has been one of my favorite games on ps4 and it was free with ps+. It also could be had for 10$ in a recent sale.

Resogun is indeed a great game, I picked it up for 2 or 3$ in one of the recent sales.

It was an incredible value on the ps3 but I have no interest I have very little interest in the monthly offerings on PS4 and a lot of these games will end up on a 1$ flash sale or in a humble bundle down the road so I'd rather just wait and buy the ones I actually want.

I'd suggest look and at the monthly offerings each month if you won't pay retail for these titles a lot of them will end up in a sale down the road and they won't be ties to your subscription.

If you play games online though this is all a moot point as you will need the subscription anyways and then these games can be viewed as a bonus.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4445 posts
876 upvotes
Edmonton
Laminate your receipt and put it in a safety deposit box. You loose that and any chance of warranty is out the window.

You will also need a wired or a headset with a dongle if you plan on doing anything coop. It does not support Bluetooth head sets like PS3.

Battery life on controllers is not the greatest so if you have long gaming sessions consider getting a second controller..

On PSN side my plus membership expired a while ago but I can still play online. Not sure why but not touching it. I log onto the main account once a never and stopped downloading PSN free games as think might trigger it.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7148 posts
6279 upvotes
M6C - Toronto
You've all been thanked. I got PS+ last summer because I realized I could build up a small PS4 library while continuing to get games for the PS3. It's really not much per month and I see it as useful for 'getting free games' more so than 'enabling online play'.

Games like Apotheon, Guacamelee, Valiant Hearts are nice to have to try out since I don't usually buy indie games.
With Fido Mobile!
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
Said212 wrote: You've all been thanked. I got PS+ last summer because I realized I could build up a small PS4 library while continuing to get games for the PS3. It's really not much per month.

Games like Apotheon, Guacamelee, Valiant Hearts are nice to have to try out since I don't usually buy indie games.
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. I mean, I've bought a couple of indie games (shovel knight, helldivers, rogue legacy) but I don't really buy many at all. So it's nice to get them free in between triple A purchases!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
+1 on the dimming of the dualshock light.

Also, regarding PS+, I think some online functionality in certain games still works without PS+. For example, tailing and hacking missions in Watchdogs (when you invade another players world and try to tail or hack them without them finding you) actually works without PS+.

I think it depends on the game though.
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5629 posts
2697 upvotes
Toronto
Said212 wrote: You've all been thanked. I got PS+ last summer because I realized I could build up a small PS4 library while continuing to get games for the PS3. It's really not much per month and I see it as useful for 'getting free games' more so than 'enabling online play'.

Hiitsdj wrote: Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. I mean, I've bought a couple of indie games (shovel knight, helldivers, rogue legacy) but I don't really buy many at all. So it's nice to get them free in between triple A purchases!
Valiant Hearts was such an awesome game!

- One more tip: If you don't have an official headset yet, and you hate using the crappy mono earpiece that came with the system, you can use your mobile phone earbuds or other headset that has a 3.5 jack. Just connect it to your controller's headphone jack and change the headphone settings so that it outputs all audio, and not just chat audio.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7148 posts
6279 upvotes
M6C - Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Valiant Hearts was such an awesome game!

- One more tip: If you don't have an official headset yet, and you hate using the crappy mono earpiece that came with the system, you can use your mobile phone earbuds or other headset that has a 3.5 jack. Just connect it to your controller's headphone jack and change the headphone settings so that it outputs all audio, and not just chat audio.
I definitely love that I can plug into the controller for audio. I have the Pulse Elite Headset from the PS3. i think it's compatible based on what I've read online.
With Fido Mobile!
Oct 16, 2007
502 posts
134 upvotes
Spotify is great with the PS4. You can have it playing when playing a game and press the PS button and adjust the volume of the music seperately from the in game volume so you can still play effectively and hear everything you need to depending on the game.

I consider PS+ a necessary evil for the PS4. They aren't free games each month.. they are something they are giving out to keep constant cash flow. I'd rather choose the games I pay for. The supposed value of paying for online servers isn't there. PS servers on average are still much worse than when I played my 360. (not an xbox fan, i switched but live was much better across the board) If they put the money towards actually improving the online then i'd gladly pay for it. Even minus the illusion of 'free games'.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
10506 posts
4024 upvotes
Spotify is great, I have it on my PS3. Actually, I have Spotify on every device that supports it, and because I pay for premium, I can control all those devices from my iPhone, including the wireless speakers in my back yard right now
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7148 posts
6279 upvotes
M6C - Toronto
Trying out Spotify on my pc and ps4 now! Super awesome that I can navigate while listening to Snoop Dogs new album.

Question:even with a lan connection, my download moves at about 1mb/second. When I did the test it showed download speed 6mb/second. Am I doing something wrong?

Is rest mode a good idea to allow the ps4 to always be up to date / overnight to allow LoU to install?

This system is miles ahead of the ps3 in terms of ability
With Fido Mobile!
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
10506 posts
4024 upvotes
Like the ability to only play online games with a paid subscription, and the lack of media playback from USB and no DLNA support. Can you at least install custom wallpapers now? Sure, they did add some new good features, like suspend/resume, gameplay recoding, social media integration, while completely removing some basic and essential stuff from last gen, and still missing the boat on new things like video chat, despite selling a PS4 HD camera; or receiving a notification when your friends log onto PSN, although you must pay in order to play with them online.
I'm sure your excitement is a result of having a new toy, but I wouldn't call its abilities miles ahead of the PS3, considering how many years apart it has been released. You definitely got a great gaming console, but it sure has some disabilities in many other departments.

P.S I'm not trying to rain on your parade.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7148 posts
6279 upvotes
M6C - Toronto
CFRTim wrote: Like the ability to only play online games with a paid subscription, and the lack of media playback from USB and no DLNA support. Can you at least install custom wallpapers now? Sure, they did add some new good features, like suspend/resume, gameplay recoding, social media integration, while completely removing some basic and essential stuff from last gen, and still missing the boat on new things like video chat, despite selling a PS4 HD camera; or receiving a notification when your friends log onto PSN, although you must pay in order to play with them online.
I'm sure your excitement is a result of having a new toy, but I wouldn't call its abilities miles ahead of the PS3, considering how many years apart it has been released. You definitely got a great gaming console, but it sure has some disabilities in many other departments.

P.S I'm not trying to rain on your parade.
Not raining at all. I can definitely scale back my comment after realizing I couldn't watch mp4 files from a USB or customize my theme/background as you mentioned.

Things I'm enjoying are voice chatting friends while playing my game and the easy ability to switch from trophies to game to Spotify etc.

Definitely still work to be done. Hopefully the next update fixes things up.
With Fido Mobile!