Just came back from Hawaii ask me anything about covid procedures

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2022 8:01 pm
[OP]
Oct 30, 2006
118 posts
80 upvotes

Just came back from Hawaii ask me anything about covid procedures

Just returned from a 7 day trip from Hawaii. Ask me any questions regarding docs, pretesting, testing while in Hawaii etc.
127 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16789 posts
12023 upvotes
Toronto
I just returned from 10 days in Maui.

Testing there was a bit of a gong show to return home
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9093 posts
2984 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm going in December. Was the island extremely crowded?

I'm flying YYZ-YVR-HNL. Does the 72 hour testing apply at the initial departure or at YVR?
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Jan 19, 2006
540 posts
378 upvotes
BC
Outbound: Entry requirements - Travel on a "Trusted Partner" airline (AC, WJ) Negative NAAT (PCR) molecular covid test within 72hrs of flight departure to enter HI, without 10 day quarantine? Where did you do the outbound Covid test, and what was the cost, and which test did you do (NAAT, PCR, RT-PCR)?

Inbound: Where did you test for your return to Canada, what was the cost and which molecular test did you do (NAAT, PCR, RT-PCR)?

Thanks!
[OP]
Oct 30, 2006
118 posts
80 upvotes
Maui was not crowded. Honolulu was a bit crowded but nothing out of the ordinary. Besides the airport and mask wearing indoors, you wouldn't know COVID is even there. If you're thinking about going and can afford the testing, definitely go.

The 72 hours will apply at Vancouver. You will need a PCR test from an accredited testing partner. This is important. It can't be a test from any lab that does PCR testing. There is a separate page that the accredited lab gives you. When you land in Hawaii and before you go, they don't even look at the test page, only the accompanying page. Also, keep your app details handy and some hotels will ask you to show your negative status on the Safe Travel App.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2006
118 posts
80 upvotes
Outbound test was done at Iridia Labs which was about 20 dollars cheaper than Lifelabs. If you don't see appts available, call them and they may open up spots for you. We did a RT-PCR test. Only go to accredited labs for Hawaii.

Return test was done at Clinical Labs of Hawaii (near Ala Moana Shopping Centre) at a cost of $120 USD inclusive of all taxes. It was also a RT-PCR test. Since Hawaii is a tourist heavy state, I don't think there's any way to get free testing (I even called Walgreens etc).
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16789 posts
12023 upvotes
Toronto
We did the pre-travel test through Lifelabs and Shoppers Drug Mart

We did the pre-return test at Doctors on Call in Maui. It was $205 USD each for the Abbott ID NAAT test with quick results.

They didn't take appointments, people were lined up outside the clinic an hour before they opened, and we were told to go back to our cars and call in at 8. It was a free for all.

I was able to book free tests with CVS and Walgreens but only the day of departure and I didn't want to get stuck without the results. I should have tried booking them earlier.

Go figure the free tests have appointments, the paid tests did not.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2006
118 posts
80 upvotes
Swerny wrote: We did the pre-travel test through Lifelabs and Shoppers Drug Mart

We did the pre-return test at Doctors on Call in Maui. It was $205 USD each for the Abbott ID NAAT test with quick results.

They didn't take appointments, people were lined up outside the clinic an hour before they opened, and we were told to go back to our cars and call in at 8. It was a free for all.

I was able to book free tests with CVS and Walgreens but only the day of departure and I didn't want to get stuck without the results. I should have tried booking them earlier.

Go figure the free tests have appointments, the paid tests did not.
Doctors on Call is 205 vs. 120 for Clinical Labs of Hawaii which need appointments (but not payment, you pay at the office when you arrive).

I called several CVS and Walgreens and all of them said they will require Hawaiian ID. You can book free tests but I suspect when you get there, you will be rejected due to not having Hawaiian ID.

So you can save 20 dollars going to Iridia Medical (DM me for an extra 10% CODE they gave after I completed the test). I'm not posting the code here in case it gets used too many times and they pull it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9093 posts
2984 upvotes
Mississauga
How much did you pay for car rental. The prices are insane due to rental shortage.

I booked our trip a long time ago when Hawaii lowered restrictions for Canada.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16789 posts
12023 upvotes
Toronto
luxurytravel wrote: Doctors on Call is 205 vs. 120 for Clinical Labs of Hawaii which need appointments (but not payment, you pay at the office when you arrive).

I called several CVS and Walgreens and all of them said they will require Hawaiian ID. You can book free tests but I suspect when you get there, you will be rejected due to not having Hawaiian ID.

So you can save 20 dollars going to Iridia Medical (DM me for an extra 10% CODE they gave after I completed the test). I'm not posting the code here in case it gets used too many times and they pull it.
I couldn't get through to Clinical Labs of Hawaii when I tried therefore couldn't get an appointment.

My wife managed to make an appointment with them online, but we couldn't tell for what, so we wound up cancelling them.

They also don't list how long the test results will take.

We flew home on a Tuesday night so we had to get the test done Monday morning first thing (most places were closed on weekends and it had to be within 72 hours of departure).....we paid the extra for the 15 minute results,...which was more like an hour.

CVS and Wallgreens both allowed online booking, CVS said the cost was $140 if they determined you had to pay for it. I was fine with that but I only managed to make an appointment for myself, not my wife and son.

I managed to get appointments at Wallgreens for my wife and son but it was on the day we left, it was way too tight and i had no margin for error if they didn't allow Canadians to be tested, let alone getting results in time.

So I cancelled those appointments once i had the clear test results from Doctors on Call

The other problem was we were staying in Kaanapali and the closest testing sites were in Waikulu, which was a fair drive, and I couldn't get 3 appointments together.
Last edited by Swerny on Aug 31st, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16789 posts
12023 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: How much did you pay for car rental. The prices are insane due to rental shortage.

I booked our trip a long time ago when Hawaii lowered restrictions for Canada.
that's a whole other story....lol

I booked through Costco.com, the initial quote was $1280 USD for 10 days in an economy car (Kia Soul).

I kept checking back...the week prior, prices started to drop...I kept rebooking and cancelling my old reservation.

I must have done this 20x and wound up getting it for $575 USD...so it was well worthwhile checking back often

Car prices dropped a lot, typical SUV's did not. Jeep Wrangler 4 doors were still about $800 USD for that time period
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9093 posts
2984 upvotes
Mississauga
Swerny wrote: that's a whole other story....lol

I booked through Costco.com, the initial quote was $1280 USD for 10 days in an economy car (Kia Soul).

I kept checking back...the week prior, prices started to drop...I kept rebooking and cancelling my old reservation.

I must have done this 20x and wound up getting it for $575 USD...so it was well worthwhile checking back often

Car prices dropped a lot, typical SUV's did not. Jeep Wrangler 4 doors were still about $800 USD for that time period
I managed to book a Toyota Yaris $300 usd for one week.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2006
118 posts
80 upvotes
Swerny wrote: that's a whole other story....lol

Costco is the best option. Keep checking especially closer to date. Also check Thrify/Dollar as sometimes their rates are better. Book cheapest car, not the one you want and negotiate when you get to the counter.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2006
118 posts
80 upvotes
Swerny wrote: I couldn't get through to Clinical Labs of Hawaii when I tried therefore couldn't get an appointment.

You can book appointments with them online

My wife managed to make an appointment with them online, but we couldn't tell for what, so we wound up cancelling them.

It's for a COVID test.

They also don't list how long the test results will take.

they say 24-48 hours. We did the test at 11:45am and got the results by 11pm the same day.

We flew home on a Tuesday night so we had to get the test done Monday morning first thing (most places were closed on weekends and it had to be within 72 hours of departure).....we paid the extra for the 15 minute results,...which was more like an hour.

CVS and Wallgreens both allowed online booking, CVS said the cost was $140 if they determined you had to pay for it. I was fine with that but I only managed to make an appointment for myself, not my wife and son.

dont' go to CVS and Wallgreens as they will not accept you as a non Hawaiian resident.

I managed to get appointments at Wallgreens for my wife and son but it was on the day we left, it was way too tight and i had no margin for error if they didn't allow Canadians to be tested, let alone getting results in time.

So I cancelled those appointments once i had the clear test results from Doctors on Call

The other problem was we were staying in Kaanapali and the closest testing sites were in Waikulu, which was a fair drive, and I couldn't get 3 appointments together.
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
344 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
Please. Stay home. Respect the governors request. please. Unless you are selfish. Then carry on like the selfish people you have shown yourseves to be. I've got family there. They dont want hospitals filled with hollies.

What clowns.
Aug 19, 2015
346 posts
262 upvotes
Ajax, ON
XmasTreelights wrote: Please. Stay home. Respect the governors request. please. Unless you are selfish. Then carry on like the selfish people you have shown yourseves to be. I've got family there. They dont want hospitals filled with hollies.

What clowns.
I believe POLITICS is located on another page my man. Some of us did everything the government has asked us. So almost two years of this nonsense is enough. If people are ok with the risk of traveling, then let them. Otherwise, stay home
Jan 31, 2007
506 posts
331 upvotes
I just got back from Oahu. Booked online CVS for my return trip test to Canada at the 320 Ward Ave location (closest to Waikiki that i could find), about $20 by Uber, walk in not drive thru. Booking was available for the date we needed approx 16 days out.

Testing was a NAAT molecular test, result was delivered via phone call and app within 15 min, and completely FREE. No ID was requested for me or my family members. One small thing to account for is that children's test results cannot be accessed online so they printed it out for me because i needed the documentation. I was completely transparent that i was not a local hawaiian and that i needed this for travel purposes only. No concerns.

Tips.
1. Hanauma Bay bookings go fast, as in 1 min fast. If you don't use auto-complete in your form you will not get in. If you still until close, uber will not be available. Walk down the hill about a km to the Kona Brewery and have a late lunch until the surge passes.
2. North shore is still worthwhile to go if you can get a car rental. I found a private service via my uber driver. Cost me $80 cash. Close to the same costs as Turo but better because he picked me up.
3. Restaurants are generally very busy still as not all businesses have re-opened and by the time i left they re-implemented 50% capacity limits.
4. If you come back for a connection through YVR it's a mess. You have to manually pick up your luggage and re-check in at the regular domestic check in outside of security.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16789 posts
12023 upvotes
Toronto
Temujin1 wrote:
4. If you come back for a connection through YVR it's a mess. You have to manually pick up your luggage and re-check in at the regular domestic check in outside of security.
we didn't have to do this flying OGG (Maui) > YVR > YYZ

We did however get picked for additional COVID testing at YVR which lead to us missing our connection to YYZ
Jan 31, 2007
506 posts
331 upvotes
Swerny wrote: we didn't have to do this flying OGG (Maui) > YVR > YYZ

We did however get picked for additional COVID testing at YVR which lead to us missing our connection to YYZ
wow. Aug 22nd was our return. Maybe yours was after this and they re-instated it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)