• Jun 22nd, 2015 1:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 2, 2009
851 posts
231 upvotes

Just cancelled cable, need advice on streaming box

I just cancelled my cable and subscribed to US netflix, can someone recommend the best option for a streaming box so I can stream to my TV?

The connection from the streaming device to my modem has to be wireless, the connection from the TV to the streaming device can be hard wired.

Thanks
37 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35194 posts
8655 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If Netflix is going to be your main source of entertainment, then I suggest you get an HTPC

I don't think any of the current Android boxes supports Netflix properly unless you can install the app.
Jul 1, 2009
264 posts
71 upvotes
Victoriaville
Roku 3 is the best Netflix streamer for the price. Watch out for sales.

Amazon fire TV is also a strong contender (android based by the way). Netflix support out of the box like Roku 3.

Some Android boxes do have Netflix support, but you need a remote that simulates a mouse (Bluetooth Air mouse) because Netflix's interface for Android is made for touch screens and does not recognize remote key presses. (This comment does not apply to the Fire TV).

Best option if price is not a factor is a HTPC + some king of wireless device to control the PC (keyboard, mouse, remote, etc.) The HTPC need for work to configure. You have so many choices of way of doing what you want to do.. Netflix in the Browser? Netflix's windows 8 app? Netflix through Kodi ? etc...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
colossk wrote: I just cancelled my cable and subscribed to US netflix, can someone recommend the best option for a streaming box so I can stream to my TV?

The connection from the streaming device to my modem has to be wireless, the connection from the TV to the streaming device can be hard wired.

Thanks
Do u have a cheap desktop around(one with duo core & 4 Gb ram will do)? There is no need for extra hardware as most desktops have hdml output. But you would need to pay for a VPN (around $4-10 a month) for US Netflix. I share with my buddy in the US as it allows to IP address to access.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Aug 23, 2010
116 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
WD live, Roku stick or chromecast
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2687 upvotes
Vancouver
Wrong way around. Experiment with no-cable options first, then cancel cable! :)

No need to subscribe to "U.S." Netflix - there's just one global Netflix subscription. The content you see available depends on country you're currently in, and it changes when you travel.

Roku 3 would be a good choice, especially if you can find last year's model on sale for under $90. The HDMI sticks like Chromecast and Roku Streaming Stick sometimes suffer from poor WiFi reception stuck behind the TV, and you don't have much flexibility to move them. Also, you need a separate phone or tablet to control the Chromecast.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14714 posts
4834 upvotes
Montreal
JamesA1 wrote: Wrong way around. Experiment with no-cable options first, then cancel cable! :)
that's what I was going to say - research options, set up a media box, confirm it fits your needs, *then* cancel rogers.
My last and final digital game I purchased at PSN from those Sony Devils was on November 22, 2020 - Ban that Sorny!
Nov 26, 2014
180 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I picked up the Amazon Fire TV and have Kodi installed with IPTV Stalker and various other add-ons;

Allows me to watch movies and live TV (including CP24 and other Canadian channels).
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4136 posts
1680 upvotes
Toronto
JamesA1 wrote: Wrong way around. Experiment with no-cable options first, then cancel cable! :)
JackWhyte wrote: that's what I was going to say - research options, set up a media box, confirm it fits your needs, *then* cancel rogers.
So much this... you're doing it wrong.

And doing it even more wrong by getting Netflix, when the same content (and more) can be had on android TV box (or other HTPC, if that's your liking) loaded up with XBMC/Kodi.
Banned
Feb 13, 2015
1059 posts
243 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Should definetly check out XBMC/KODI.. Has a lot more content than netflix.
[OP]
Apr 2, 2009
851 posts
231 upvotes
Repooc wrote: So much this... you're doing it wrong.

And doing it even more wrong by getting Netflix, when the same content (and more) can be had on android TV box (or other HTPC, if that's your liking) loaded up with XBMC/Kodi.
I cancelled rogers, it's scheduled to go next week as I figured a week would give me plenty of time to set up and experiment with netflix and I can cancel the cancellation if it doesn't work out.

What is HTPC? I just came from future shop and bought a Roku. As far as setup goes, I have no desire to have a laptop or a PC in the same room as the television. Ease of use is top priority as I have a wife and 3 kids who need to be able to use it.

As far as live tv goes, no one in my family watches live tv. I have always downloaded tv shows that I want to see using torrent sites and a VPN. My wife does the same. The only person who watches live tv in my home is my 12 year old daughter and she will have to do without live tv from here on out.

My wife and I have Ipads, all 3 of my kids have android tablets so if I get an android box I assume I can't stream to my ipad? Or am I wrong?

Again, ease of use is important and live tv is a non issue, Nor do any of us care about sports, news or movie channels. Given that criteria what is the best option?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2687 upvotes
Vancouver
HTPC = Home Theatre PC, typically a Windows or Linux computer connected to TV via HDMI, with a wireless remote and some sort of video software with a big-screen interface like Kodi/XBMC. It's the most flexible solution, but not the cheapest or the most convenient.

The Roku will do fine for Netflix, and it will let you experiment with other things. The kids will find plenty to watch on Netflix. There's a Roku How-To thread in this forum that has lots of background on things you do with the Roku.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5845 posts
2101 upvotes
Space
Do you watch sports? If you do, don't cancel cable. If you don't get an HTPC. Install Kodi, Netflix and a huge HDD for torrented movies/shows that you want to keep.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35194 posts
8655 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I cancelled cable when I moved to Aurora and it was tough at first but over time it got easier and we do without. I download everything I want to watch, I have an HTPC hooked up to every room and it works for me and my family.

I had Netflix in the first year but cancelled at after 12 months. Just simply not needed.

I also have a TV in every room, but no one uses it. Seems like everyone wants to watch their own shows on either their iPad or Android device.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
8352 posts
8346 upvotes
Toronto
I run a HP Stream Mini 200 with my QNAP NAS and also have an TERK amplified antenna.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3323 posts
387 upvotes
Mississauga
OP, here is my setup:
  • chromecast ($40) + 4 android devices (all of which can cast to the chromecast)
  • netflix subscription ($10/month)
  • ballstreams - for nba games ($99/year)
  • desktop + PLEX media server
  • two routers:
1. regular 30mbps cable internet connected to my ISP
2. router set up with ddwrt using privateinternetaccess vpn service (~$50USD / year)

anytime i want american content, i switch to privateinternetaccess 2nd router.
only hassle is i have to change the network on my chromecast when i switch between US/CAD services
May 6, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
First off your paying for Netflix
And NBA this and that with mine you get 1 channel, genesis, phoenix, sporsdevil,and many many more addons that blow away netflix way more movies shows even ones at the theatre no subscriptions ever always free
May 6, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
You defeat the purpose for cancelling cable paying memberships
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2283 posts
511 upvotes
I'll cast my vote in for the MyGica ATV1200. I bought one to play around with, and it's ended up being one of the main ones I rely on. I've upgrade the firmware to run Kodi, and after installing the TVADDONS config wizard, you've got lots of content, Netflix, and ability to stream from local NAS. Plus it's easy enough for any family members to learn how to use. There are tons of alternative Android TV boxes out there so there's a lot to choose from. I still have a Netflix sub, and it's still nice to have even though you can stream most of the content from other sources.

With some of the Kodi video add-ons it's a bit of a pain sometimes to find a source that works and doesn't lag plus then there's the annoying captchas you have to enter with some of them. Netflix just works without buffering issues plus it's not that much a month. It's also nice as it helps suggest other content based on your viewing preferences. I've watched some interesting documentaries about Burt from Burt's Bees along with one about the Sagrada Familia. It's nice to see suggested videos rather than searching through a huge listing in XBMC.

My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
Aug 21, 2012
824 posts
104 upvotes
That box has a less than 10,000 antutu score. Very very old hardware.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)