Cell Phones

Just found out my father in-law is paying $400 a month on a Bell shared plan... help?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2020 11:38 pm
[OP]
Nov 2, 2004
260 posts
138 upvotes

Just found out my father in-law is paying $400 a month on a Bell shared plan... help?

Father in-law has had a shared family plan with Bell for 4 years. Base plan charge is $290 a month, but told me with data overages the bill is often over $400 per month. This is ludicrous. The plan includes a 4gb bucket of data that is shared between the 4 of them (Father in-law, Mother in-law, daughter (my gf) and her brother). They go over their allowed 1gb of data almost every month. I want to help out. Anything in particular you guys would recommend? I'm currently grandfathered in on the old Public Mobile $40, 12gb LTE, 3 month plan and have been out of the loop on cell phone plans for a while. For one of the phones they'd like to have some US calling minutes. Been looking at Zoomer and Public for starters. I've noticed Public has 3G data on all of it's plans now. Is this noticeably slower?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)
17 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12275 posts
3416 upvotes
Just get 4 x koodo 5Gb for $50 for a med tab right now.

each plans come with 5gb and unlimited calling

would still be cheaper than the base charge

or if they don't need phones, then go with PM. $40 for 4.5GB and or $50 for 8GB

anything out there right now is cheaper than their shared plan
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Dec 4, 2017
586 posts
259 upvotes
If they don't need phone subsidies, you can do this:

1. Switch them all over to Lucky Mobile's $25/month plan and set up autopay. This gives them a 1GB of speed high enough for streaming video, and unlimited low speed data after that. They'll never get cut off or billed extra for data overage.

2. Let them try that out for a month. Cost: $100 + tax for four people.

3. For any who complain about running out of the high speed data, upgrade them to the $40 5GB plan.

Edits:
I recommend getting the SIM cards at Walmart or other place that is not Dollarama. Dollarama's SIM cards are $4 instead of the usual $10 and they come with a 2nd-month gift card for 20, but they miss out on the occasional flash sale of 7GB for $40.

Frankly, even if they like phone subsidies, they'd save enough with Lucky to buy a new mid-range phone every three months or so, compared to the terrible plan that they have now.
Jul 9, 2018
109 posts
156 upvotes
if they all have their phones now, get them to switch to Koodo $50 for 5gbs. They dont even need to stick together, you can get them to refer each other for more savings as well
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5851 posts
1629 upvotes
Mississauga
sexyj wrote: Just get 4 x koodo 5Gb for $50 for a med tab right now.

each plans come with 5gb and unlimited calling

would still be cheaper than the base charge

or if they don't need phones, then go with PM. $40 for 4.5GB and or $50 for 8GB

anything out there right now is cheaper than their shared plan
isn't the zoomer offer better than? 5gb for $36
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16040 posts
4548 upvotes
Markham
Ducky wrote: isn't the zoomer offer better than? 5gb for $36
but Zoomer is only
800 Anytime Minutes (NO unlimited evenings and weekends)
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/zoomer- ... t-2358748/
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Dec 28, 2019
89 posts
35 upvotes
The full speed data offered by Lucky Mobile and Public Mobile is not just at 3G speeds. It's capped at 3mbps. It is on a LTE network so the latency is low. I have been using Lucky for several months and I think this speed is fast enough for pretty much everything except downloading large files and maybe streaming videos at high resolutions. I haven't had full speed LTE data before though. Your father in law and family may notice a small difference if they've been used to using full speed LTE. If they work in your area, Freedom Mobile has plans with full speed LTE data at prices similar to Lucky and Public.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21681 posts
2943 upvotes
Toronto
Ducky wrote: for most ppl nowadays, 800 mins monthly is more than enough...lol
Maybe before but now with COVID-19, lots of folks working from home....800mins might not be enough (~13hrs).

Take me for example, I barely used any mins before and now with COVID-19 and working from home.....I'm on calls 4 -6hrs a day...it's crazy.

Lucky I have unlimited minutes with Telus.

I'm using my cell only as I don't have a landline and the company's software phone is terrible (way better on company network)....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6036 posts
2376 upvotes
West GTEH!
GeneralStore wrote: They can still go for the 6GB plan with unlimited minutes for $40.50.
Another vote for this Zoomer plan.
Would almost be 50% cheaper for 4 people. 4 x $40.50 = $162.00/month + tax, than what they are paying now. ($290/month is crazy)
😎
[OP]
Nov 2, 2004
260 posts
138 upvotes
Thank you guys for all your answers! It was between the Zoomer $40.50 plan and the Public Mobile $50 plan. Came down to the fact that they have lots of family in the US so those unlimited Canada/US calling minutes with the Public plan that won them over. Glad they'll be cutting their bill down by almost 50%.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18617 posts
2347 upvotes
Woodbridge
Ducky wrote: for most ppl nowadays, 800 mins monthly is more than enough...lol
I remember I signed my Mother years ago thinking I can save (I'm paying for her bill) $10 by not getting Unlimited. I was wrong. LOL

I didn't keep track. I a $400+ bill. I called, twice trying to get them to give me a break but was told they would if I upgrade my plan. So of course I took it.

Be careful, women talk a lot. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5851 posts
1629 upvotes
Mississauga
bembol wrote: I remember I signed my Mother years ago thinking I can save (I'm paying for her bill) $10 by not getting Unlimited. I was wrong. LOL

I didn't keep track. I a $400+ bill. I called, twice trying to get them to give me a break but was told they would if I upgrade my plan. So of course I took it.

Be careful, women talk a lot. LOL
then your mom and her friends should get WhatsApp for example and use that instead...
Apr 10, 2020
283 posts
1057 upvotes
Ducky wrote: then your mom and her friends should get WhatsApp for example and use that instead...
It's a difference in generational preferences. The older generation prefers to make calls, so they use a lot of minutes. The younger generation are prone to using apps and texts, needing more data.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5851 posts
1629 upvotes
Mississauga
GeneralStore wrote: It's a difference in generational preferences. The older generation prefers to make calls, so they use a lot of minutes. The younger generation are prone to using apps and texts, needing more data.
yah i know... my mom isn't tech savvy and she's almost 80....i still able to teach her how to use WhatsApp...
Feb 12, 2017
65 posts
16 upvotes
Public mobile.

$40 plan unlimited Canada wide calling unlimited text worldwide. 4.5 gigs. Add credit card ( can use same card for all accounts but may want to activate each account on different day as credit card company might block transaction if all 4 bills are charged on same day)

Adding credit card for autopay gives you an additional 500mb bonus so now 5 gigs per 30 days plus a $2 discount per 30 days for autopay.

Total per account $38 plus province taxes.

Use your referral code for first account signed up. You get a dollar discount and they get $10 sign up bonus. For 2nd account use first account referral code so they get a $1 discount bringing their plan to $37 per 30 days and continue process for all accounts...or use your referral code for each account to get the discount.

$38 times 4 per 30 days is $152 plus province taxes. Each year with PM they will get a dollar off loyalty reward to a max 5 dollars.

On Telus network...do the switch!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13276 posts
2619 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Ducky wrote: yah i know... my mom isn't tech savvy and she's almost 80....i still able to teach her how to use WhatsApp...
Wechat is better (keep in mind wechat stole from whatsapp) and made a better mousetrap. As long as you dont plan on staying in china anytime soon you're fine. *welp*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING