Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3526 posts
1871 upvotes
GTA

Just got my first manual car. Any tips?

Hey RFD, I bought a used Civic Coupe for myself a few days ago and I have never driven a manual car until today (3 years of automatic driving). I got the hang of it after practising for a couple of hours but I think I may be "riding the clutch" too much.

It's also worth saying that hill starts are my #1 problem so I'll keep focusing on them.

Any tips?
I love RFD! :)
83 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15688 posts
11077 upvotes
Practice makes perfect. Driving a manual is all about feel, you will get the feel for it.

What makes you think you are riding the clutch too? Sometime intentionality stalling a few times will help you find the sweet spot for where the clutch engages and you can release it.

Don't be afraid to still or jerk it while practicing, it will help you in the long run.

As for the hill, pull the ebrake until you feel the car pulling on it, then drop it down to go. I always did this on big Hills when I drove stick.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3867 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill
watch a few youtube videos but as Gutty96 mentioned, practice in a parking lot (preferably one with a hill)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1219 upvotes
aGincourt
Always double clutch, don't granny shift
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Swswswish wrote: Always double clutch, don't granny shift
this is silly, always double clutching is unnecessary, synchros are not just for show

practice a lot, forgive your self for stalling and the bucking broncho, and drive more for the practice, and enjoy yourself

In time you can learn the rev matched downshift, the heel and towe downshift, and in the meantime there is a message forum for people learning standard, i forget what its called but they are very good at answering questions.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2084 posts
773 upvotes
Toronto
I've been driving manual for the past 10 years now. I had an automatic before my past 2 cars. The best practice is stop and go.. that's when you stall the most. It's easy to clutch and shift when you're already moving, but it's hard to move from a stand-still. Just keep stopping and go-ing until you don't stall anymore.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3526 posts
1871 upvotes
GTA
Quentin5 wrote: this is silly, always double clutching is unnecessary, synchros are not just for show

practice a lot, forgive your self for stalling and the bucking broncho, and drive more for the practice, and enjoy yourself

In time you can learn the rev matched downshift, the heel and towe downshift, and in the meantime there is a message forum for people learning standard, i forget what its called but they are very good at answering questions.
Be sure to let me know if you do end up remembering it :P
I love RFD! :)
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
best way is to go to a steep hill in the morning and practice on that. The newer cars hold the break for 2 seconds. Anyway, practice is the only way lol.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
daivey wrote: best way is to go to a steep hill in the morning and practice on that. The newer cars hold the break for 2 seconds. Anyway, practice is the only way lol.
how new are we talking, and all brands or just high end cars?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2742 upvotes
Ideally, take a friend/relative with an experience in MT and spend "a few hours" driving. Find a remote location to minimize the stress of city traffic/impatient honkers. Once you have the basics covered, move to phase 2; starting on an incline grade roadway/hill. Ideally, I would suggest at least a half day practice until you become comfortable. Always use your clutch to upshift/downshift. Make sure to depress your clutch fully and learn about the "riding of the clutch". There are some fairly good instructional videos on YT.

Q: When can you call yourself a good manual transmission driver?

A: You may consider yourself a very good manual transmission driver when you use the impending road conditions/traffic level and instinctively choose the correct gear to accelerate/decelerate. Most of this info/feedback will come from the sound level of the engine and a quick glance at the tachometer. A good driver can bring an MT vehicle to a crawling speed (from highway speed) without touching the brakes and just letting the foot off the gas pedal by downshifting and predicting the engine speed to slow it enough.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2742 upvotes
Velocrank wrote: Why is there a forum for driving standard and not for automatic? Drag racers, texters, cellphone chatters and pizza eaters love automatics, as well as just plain lazy or unskilled drivers. :razz:
They don't last very long as an intrinsic paradigm of devolution.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
Don't listen to any of the wannabe racers here telling you to double clutch, blipping the throttle or heel/toe.

Lots of practice (at night if possible), with focus on stop and go!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2742 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Don't listen to any of the wannabe racers here telling you to double clutch, blipping the throttle or heel/toe.

Lots of practice (at night if possible), with focus on stop and go!
+1

(also known as KISS theory).
May 6, 2013
943 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
I've been driving manual for 3 years now and the only tips I can give you is use you're ebrake for big inclines and practice practice practice. You will get a hang of it quickly and you will love it!
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
Congratulations!

Spend hours practicing before winter comes
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: how new are we talking, and all brands or just high end cars?
i think mostly the higher end models? I think VWs and audis have it. My friends a5 does.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2742 upvotes
george__ wrote: Congratulations!

Spend hours practicing before winter comes
Skis are optional... :D
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: Skis are optional... :D
lol I kind of "drifted" in my first manual car and the car went over a curb+snow bank .

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)