Cell Phones

Is it just me or is Android a dog's breakfast?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2019 8:00 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2001
16117 posts
2720 upvotes

Is it just me or is Android a dog's breakfast?

I've only had this thing a month and I've already experienced one feature-breaking bug. Their implementation of hands-free texting in the car is bad enough (Android Auto is a piece of crap) but for it to stop working properly after a single update is ridiculous. Is it really necessary to get an Apple now?
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
51 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 7, 2017
705 posts
393 upvotes
Ham, ON
What Android phone do you have?
It annoys me when people will buy a Moto E4 for $40 and them compare it to $1000+ phones from Apple?

Are you using a Pixel 2/3 phone op? Or a value phone?
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2001
16117 posts
2720 upvotes
Nokia 6.1 running Android One Pie. Arguably one of the best mid-range phones on the market, and no manufacturer bloat to mess things up.

I was prepared to endure the limited feature set of Android Auto with regards to hands-free in car texting, and it worked as intended for a couple weeks. Then it gets one update, and suddenly there's no sound when a text comes in anymore.
Which means I have to leave it on the main screen to look for the notification popup and sacrifice my map display.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
22715 posts
4333 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Try clearing the cache in AA first. I have no issues texting with AA, sending or receiving, but I'm using a galaxy S9.

I'm not trying to say AA is perfect but the texting issue is either a bug in one of the apps or an issue with how your device interacts with AA.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2001
16117 posts
2720 upvotes
I already did a factory reset, with no luck, but thanks for the suggestion.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
22715 posts
4333 upvotes
Niagara Falls
JAC wrote: I already did a factory reset, with no luck, but thanks for the suggestion.
Did you 'forget' the bluetooth settings in your HU as well, might actually be worth resetting your HU if you have that option.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1473 posts
302 upvotes
Oakville
AA voice-to-text is significantly better for me than Apple's CarPlay.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2001
16117 posts
2720 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: Did you 'forget' the bluetooth settings in your HU as well, might actually be worth resetting your HU if you have that option.
I'll give that a shot, thanks.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2001
16117 posts
2720 upvotes
apoorv wrote: AA voice-to-text is significantly better for me than Apple's CarPlay.
That's depressing. I never thought I'd miss my Windows Phone.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Newbie
Jun 1, 2019
1 posts
2 upvotes
JAC, You were right first time. Android is a dogs breakfast of a mobile OS. An app for everything, including standard stuff that the OS should just do. The App / OS barrier makes usability an absolute debacle. Setting an Alarm doesn't unmute or turn off DND? You can't turn off music attenuation when you receive a notification or alert unless you mute alerts? the list just goes on. All I can reconcile it that those who are happy with it know no better.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6361 posts
5418 upvotes
JAC wrote: Nokia 6.1 running Android One Pie. Arguably one of the best mid-range phones on the market, and no manufacturer bloat to mess things up.

I was prepared to endure the limited feature set of Android Auto with regards to hands-free in car texting, and it worked as intended for a couple weeks. Then it gets one update, and suddenly there's no sound when a text comes in anymore.
Which means I have to leave it on the main screen to look for the notification popup and sacrifice my map display.
You're running a pos Nokia 6.1 that's why. The Nokia are junk
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6361 posts
5418 upvotes
gertsy wrote: JAC, You were right first time. Android is a dogs breakfast of a mobile OS. An app for everything, including standard stuff that the OS should just do. The App / OS barrier makes usability an absolute debacle. Setting an Alarm doesn't unmute or turn off DND? You can't turn off music attenuation when you receive a notification or alert unless you mute alerts? the list just goes on. All I can reconcile it that those who are happy with it know no better.
Why should an alarm turn off dnd or unmute phone?
That makes no sense

Alternative like iOS is much worse
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
13852 posts
3019 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I guess someone thinks that a "do not disturb" sign on your door means you'll still get room service.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
22715 posts
4333 upvotes
Niagara Falls
StatsGuy wrote: Why should an alarm turn off dnd or unmute phone?
That makes no sense

Alternative like iOS is much worse
Because an alarm is something you manually set so you want to be notified. Pretty sure it works on my Samsung device. I have DND set to turn on at 11 pm and turn back off at 6 am, that way I don't get woken up in the middle of the night by work emails, but I still want my alarm to sound when I wake up.

I've also set up manual exemptions so certain contracts will sort to phone, even when DND is enabled.

Edit: just tested on my S9 and the alarm does alert when DND is enabled.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2003
7636 posts
672 upvotes
Vancouver
JAC wrote: Nokia 6.1 running Android One Pie. Arguably one of the best mid-range phones on the market, and no manufacturer bloat to mess things up.

I was prepared to endure the limited feature set of Android Auto with regards to hands-free in car texting, and it worked as intended for a couple weeks. Then it gets one update, and suddenly there's no sound when a text comes in anymore.
Which means I have to leave it on the main screen to look for the notification popup and sacrifice my map display.
Are you using an aftermarket system or a factory supplied android auto unit. Ironically my son has Apple Car Play and I had Android Auto wit 2 different aftermarket units, a Sony xav-ax100 and Kenwood 7703 never had any issues, worked but I preferred the 7703. Used HTC u11, essential PH1, P10 Plus and OP3. Both units ran most up to date firmware. I had no issue with text by speech. I definitely preferred it over the Apple Car Play but it works well. I have seen AA in cars w factory system and found it was not as intuitive but that may just be that particular system and me not knowing it. Good luck though
How can I be broke when I am saving so much?
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2001
16117 posts
2720 upvotes
Cisco KId wrote: Are you using an aftermarket system or a factory supplied android auto unit. Ironically my son has Apple Car Play and I had Android Auto wit 2 different aftermarket units, a Sony xav-ax100 and Kenwood 7703 never had any issues, worked but I preferred the 7703. Used HTC u11, essential PH1, P10 Plus and OP3. Both units ran most up to date firmware. I had no issue with text by speech. I definitely preferred it over the Apple Car Play but it works well. I have seen AA in cars w factory system and found it was not as intuitive but that may just be that particular system and me not knowing it. Good luck though
Factory. It's not the head unit that's the issue, though, it's the software. After reverting back to the October 2018 AA release, everything works as it should. The software is still crap either way, though.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
6039 posts
7223 upvotes
The NORTH
To answer your question, its just you.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
13852 posts
3019 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Evil Baby wrote: Because an alarm is something you manually set so you want to be notified. Pretty sure it works on my Samsung device. I have DND set to turn on at 11 pm and turn back off at 6 am, that way I don't get woken up in the middle of the night by work emails, but I still want my alarm to sound when I wake up.
Now that you mention it, there's a separate volume slider for Alarm, so you can customize it however you want. Not sure what the issue the other dude was having. Well, there's always the Nokia 3310 3G.

I will agree that when I originally switched to Android from a Nokia feature phone, it sucked to have to find an app to set up various sound profiles, and that there was no file manager included. But at least I can use SD Cards and have a USB Host port :D .

BTW, coincidently, a Mac buddy friend (since with smartphones, there's really only two choices) of mine was telling me how iOS is getting some new "dark mode". I'm thinking it's some kind of stealth/super-secure/privacy mode. Turns out, it's just a dark theme :D . Maybe one day, they'll get "landscape mode", and hopefully, we'll see less portrait videos.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2461 posts
1446 upvotes
Calgary
Actually, even Google is just really starting to allow Dark Mode on their Pixels, and adjust apps to support it - so Apple isn't far behind there. Other phones have allowed dark themes, but it wouldn't typically affect many apps (unless you rooted and used something like Substratum). It sounds like iOS' dark mode will be something developers may be able to easily adapt their apps to do - unlike Android. Right now, every Android device manufacturer handles dark mode and/or themes differently.

As for your comment on portrait videos, that's just a mindset that people have since it's how they hold their phones the majority of the time. Heck, even Google tried showing a reminder in Android 4.4's camera app on the Nexus devices to flip the phone to landscape mode, then abandoned it soon after. Sadly it'll never change (and you can partly blame Instagram for that as it doesn't allow landscape videos like the built-in camera app does).
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 16, 2001
16117 posts
2720 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: Amazing someone actually using a Nokia phone in Canada in 2019.
Shrug. Find me a non-Chinese phone with a Snapdragon 630, 3GB RAM, 32GB storage, 1080 5.5" screen that's built like a Nokia for $179 US and I'll consider it.

Maybe a Huawei? Oh, wait....
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)