Home & Garden

Is it just me looking for a mini split air conditioner deal ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2021 12:02 am
[OP]
Aug 24, 2018
474 posts
224 upvotes
Langley BC

Is it just me looking for a mini split air conditioner deal ?

Summer is coming and last year I had a portable and was loud.
Window one is not an option.
A split I can put it on the balcony.
They are very expensive and hard to find.
Oh yeah, 110v 15A so I can just plug it in as I don't have the capability to change that. (rental)
I am saying hard to find because this https://senville.ca/12000-btu-mini-spli ... senl-12cd/
may start shipping at the end of June ! Bad timing.
It seems the cheapest (which I would not like) is around $1000. Why it doubles and such I don't know. And then it's still the same Chinese stuff.
Thoughts?
36 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4300 posts
3272 upvotes
Vancouver
I think it's just due to lack of demand and competition. The mini split air systems here are twice the normal price and you can't easily find them. Also missing big brands like Haier, Gree, and Midea. For example, the exact same Haier portable A/C sells here for $400 vs. $200 in China. The Toshiba at Home Depot is actually a Midea and again double the price.
Jul 11, 2009
739 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
I would love to have one of these, but yeah why so expensive? Last summer, each sunny day, by 5pm, it was 27°C on the top floor despite it being 21 or 22°C on the bottom floor. Would love to be able to run the hoses through a sliding patio window door.
[OP]
Aug 24, 2018
474 posts
224 upvotes
Langley BC
JimU wrote: I would love to have one of these, but yeah why so expensive? Last summer, each sunny day, by 5pm, it was 27°C on the top floor despite it being 21 or 22°C on the bottom floor. Would love to be able to run the hoses through a sliding patio window door.
Exactly !
It seems one of the answers in capitalism.
I watched a couple of videos by this guy (funny and informative) saying in one option the equipment is cheap, the refrigerant is expensive , in the other option the refrigerant is cheap and good for the environment but the equipment is expensive.
Why is $70 ..... controlled market.
Back to the videos here:

[OP]
Aug 24, 2018
474 posts
224 upvotes
Langley BC
newfbc wrote: Costco sells this...
https://www.costco.ca/forest-air-mini-s ... 74065.html

But the reviews are terrible. They've been selling it for years.

Ron.
Exactly what I was gonna do until I rad the reviews.
That guy said he had (a version of it) and it was great until it wasn't working any more.
Plus there is a video on U2B by a car guy that is not promising!
And the warranty if 1year (5 on the pump) so $1000 / year is a bit much when Home Depot (was just there ) has window unit for $148 Toshiba. I just couldn't lift it !
[OP]
Aug 24, 2018
474 posts
224 upvotes
Langley BC
MontrealPost wrote: I'm hoping Forest-air will come out with improved version, still waiting . . .
I have to say I am very disappointed in the cost of these.
I know many stuff has only 1 year warranty, but those may be used all year.
This you use 3 week in year and then next year when it breaks down they say oh it's more than a year old.
This is what $1000 buys us?!
I know that the compressor may be $500 in it and they guarantee that for 5 years but what are you gonna do with the broken unit, take out the compressor and try to sell it?!
Between the $300-400 units that doesn't fit your needs and $1000 would work with a good guarantee, I would take the $1000 unit right now. But not like this.
They solved the problem of not dealing with vacuum and gas and technician and voltages, but some thing is wrong with it if they can't guarantee it for more years.
Or put a timer on it and say xxx hours of running time guaranteed.
Or if the electronics break, make it so I can't turn the numb for a temperature or something when it breaks not just EE Error 2332 ... good luck to you. (this is after the warranty expires)
Apr 8, 2021
84 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
Paid $2100 installed for 12k BTU Moovair heat pump in April 2020.
Easy install.
'2003
[OP]
Aug 24, 2018
474 posts
224 upvotes
Langley BC
BeefOreo wrote: Paid $2100 installed for 12k BTU Moovair heat pump in April 2020.
Easy install.
That is a bit pricy but it seems it has 10 years warranty, that's great.
I do however move probably in the next two years and for an apartment it's 220v so installation is a problem too.
It is suppose to be variable, but for the outside unit, I only see 1 noise level, why is that?!
Apr 8, 2021
84 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
What8ever8left wrote: That is a bit pricy but it seems it has 10 years warranty, that's great.
I do however move probably in the next two years and for an apartment it's 220v so installation is a problem too.
It is suppose to be variable, but for the outside unit, I only see 1 noise level, why is that?!
Probably the max noise level is indicated.
'2003
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
What on earth is a Mini-Split and why isn't a central air unit an option? They are made so much more energy efficient nowadays...

Or are we talking about home owners without ductwork?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6821 posts
3801 upvotes
Mississauga
Gibsons wrote: Or are we talking about home owners without ductwork?
Probably this. There are areas in Canada where forced air gas (or other fuel) isn't common.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3007 posts
1754 upvotes
Mississauga
mrweather wrote: Probably this. There are areas in Canada where forced air gas (or other fuel) isn't common.
Even with ductwork and normal central heat/cooling, there easily is 5-6 degree difference between basement and 1st floor temperature.

So another AC on 1st floor can help keep the temperatures down without needing to decrease temp on central cooling way too low.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6082 posts
4370 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: What on earth is a Mini-Split and why isn't a central air unit an option? They are made so much more energy efficient nowadays...

Or are we talking about home owners without ductwork?
Mini split is ductless. You have a condensor outside, and the evaporator inside. Central air needs duct. I personally do not have nor need ducts in my house, like many homeowners. Happy mini split heat pump owner since 2012 here.
May 21, 2015
988 posts
542 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
You can return the Forest Air model to Costco if it doesn't work, so why not try it.. From most of the bad reviews pumping out the water from the inside to the outside was a noted problem that some solved by ensuring that the inside unit was sitting up higher than the outside unit so it would drain by gravity regardless of power.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
DoorCrasher wrote: Mini split is ductless. You have a condensor outside, and the evaporator inside. Central air needs duct. I personally do not have nor need ducts in my house, like many homeowners. Happy mini split heat pump owner since 2012 here.
Ductless... so if you have a 3 level house you need at least 3 Units, right?