Automotive

Just picked up my Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited. Excellent car, why all the hate.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2013 2:30 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto

Just picked up my Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited. Excellent car, why all the hate.

So we picked up our Sonata 2.0T Limited the day before and got a feel of the car for two days. My overall impression of the car is excellent! The build quality is excellent, much better than my 2011 Mazda 3 and th 2013 Mazda 6 that I sat in. It's definitely not up to Mercedes standards and the price reflects that, but its pretty darn close. We purchased the top of the line model with the navigation, leather and panoramic sunroof. We really love the car and it's miles ahead in styling and interior quality to many of the japanese brands that I've looked at.

Drive:

After a few city/highway driving, logging in about 200kms on the ODO, I found that the suspension was pretty good, much better then my Mazda 3. I did some fast tight turns and the car felt composed and there wasn't any noticeable body roll. It was flat and gripped nicely with the Hankook 18 inch tires. The steering is very light in city driving and helps reduce tiredness and it stiffens up when speeds are increased. There isn't any road feedback present in the steering wheel and its very electrically assisted. It takes a little time to get used to, but I can see myself enjoying the steering on the Sonata as much as my Mazda 3. The steering is very similar to the steering in a Chevy Cruze. Road noise is slightly present, but it's not in any way loud or intrusive. Highway wind noise is very well dampened.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about the car, I could also create videos of the ways the features work in the car since a lot of them can't be had on youtube. Car was purchased at Agincourt Hyundai. They provided stellar service and thumbs up.

Power:

The 2.0L Turbo producing 274 horses is such a joy. The car pulls really hard when on the accelerator. It's super easy to overtake on the highway even at 100kmph. Upon stepping on the gas, the car will effortlessly pull you from 100 to 130kmph in just seconds! Turbo whistle is present, though not intrusive. It makes the car sound great and you can also hear the blow off valve sometimes. It has alot of pickup in city driving, giving you massive amounts of torque from around 1500 rpm. The car averages 1900 RPM at 120kmph and about 1600RPM at 100kmph. Braking is great, there is no noticeable nose dive under heavy city braking. Brake feel leaves alot to be desired, but it's something I can become used to. The car is definitely more luxury than sporty.

Features:

Panoramic sunroof, it's gigantic! Let's tons of light in and very breezy. I've gotten plenty of compliments. Backup camera, works great in pitch black and the guidance lines changes as you turn your steering wheel. Proximity key, and push to start, all of which my fiancee and I have to become accustomed to. Boot space is enormous and there i plenty of rear leg room for passengers even when the front driver's seat is back all the way. Power everything! Seats, lumbar, rear seats are heated etc..

Im glad we bought this car even if its shy of 39,000 OTR. Yes, it's a Hyundai. And a heck of a good one at that.
311 replies
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
the car is not bad..middle of pack. Not sure what kind of warped perception you have but the engine and transmission is an absolute dog in the 2.0T, and steering and overall suspension setup and road feedback is not comparable to a mazda 3.

it's not a bad car..but you just have the new car toxic chemicals goto your head at the moment.

if it was 15% cheaper ..it'll be easier to swallow.

but with the new accord, camry and mazda 6 (2014) out..the sonata is behind all of those.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21267 posts
6255 upvotes
Poormond Hill
The Sonata is the new beige Corolla. Regardless of how great it is, people will continue to put it down.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: The Sonata is the new beige Corolla. Regardless of how great it is, people will continue to put it down.
true..and like the beige corolla..many better choices in its class..though with new corolla coming out..that may change.

sonata is just long in the tooth and needs a redesign.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
We had a look at the Accord, and Camry, both didnt have some of the features that we wanted and we didnt like the interior at all. We find that the Sonata was better looking. Different strokes for different folks
Dec 12, 2009
828 posts
122 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I looked at the Sonata. I didn't like the styling/aesthetics as much as the Optima. I didn't go with either of them though.

But all that matters is that you're happy. Your the one who is driving, not us. :)
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1247 posts
770 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
Wait till next year when the car is only worth 25k ;)
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
What a minute, did everyone miss the part where the OP says he paid $39,000 OTR for a Sonata? Must be trolling?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
Well Hyundai's reliability is supposedly good, but I'll find out soon enough
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
No hate from me just better choices out there IMO.
$39K OTD I think your in the loaded Honda Accord V6 territory.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2276 posts
809 upvotes
Etobicoke
$39K is quite a lot for a Sonata. Equus maybe.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14187 upvotes
Toronto
Hyundai makes decent cars theese days but their prices have grown steadily to the point they are no longer the value they once were.

Maybe in the base models...but $39K for a Sonata?

The same thing with the Santa Fe.

They have good financing rates which no doubt gets a lot of people into their showroom (myself included but i bought something else).

Resale value still sucks too.
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
275 upvotes
Here
Sure, you like it now when it is new. Give it a few years until it starts falling apart, see how much you like it then!
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
I was hoping he would say he paid something like 27 grand for this car. And I thought to myself what a great value. But then he said 39 grand for a sonata. Wow why not get like a v6 accord at that price. But wow for a sonata. Never.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
Wasn't there a big promo back in May ? with very good cash rebate allowance ? My co-worker picked up one 2.0T with Nav, I don't recall she paid almost $40K for the car, if she did, I would have remembered and be shocked.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
salesman must have been uber happy with his commission cheque lol
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
MS MSP wrote: Hyundai makes decent cars theese days but their prices have grown steadily to the point they are no longer the value they once were.

Maybe in the base models...but $39K for a Sonata?

The same thing with the Santa Fe.

They have good financing rates which no doubt gets a lot of people into their showroom (myself included but i bought something else).

Resale value still sucks too.
yup..that's why I said if it was 15% cheaper..it'll be easier to swallow and justify. But hyundai prices have gone up quite a bit where they aren't much if any cheaper than the better Accord/Camry's ..
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
I drove the Sonata when it first came out, I did like it a lot back then when it entered the market, does the current gen still have the foot hand brake? It's no handbrake, but it could of been an e-brake which is terribad.