Automotive

Just took over a lease car that has been in accident.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2019 3:54 pm
[OP]
Oct 24, 2019
0 posts

Just took over a lease car that has been in accident.

Just took over a lease car that has been in accident and signed the transfer lease paper at dealership around more that a month ago, did not know that until now when i checked carfax report online, the last leasee cheated to me saying that the car is accident free, the car was repaired and looks ok now and is also passed the safety provided by last leasee, but i just feel like i get fooled.
is there anything i can do in this case? like legal approach to the last leasee? but since i already signed the transfer paper there is no way to do to withdraw that right? The car lease is only one year left, maybe i just have to stick it through?
The lease includes the return warrenty(covers small dents, scratches), would that help?
sorry guys my English expression is not good any suggestion would help
8 replies
Mar 12, 2016
47 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Did the dealer tell you car was in an previous accident and is it written on bill of sale? When lease finished and you return the car they will consider the accident and lower the car value. Might want give these guys a call and see what they say: https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/
Feb 17, 2015
909 posts
1060 upvotes
Canada
If all are verbal forget about it and enjoy the car. If it is written in the agreement that it is accident free and you have the time and effort to get something out of this then go and start the fight.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
2048 posts
2071 upvotes
GTA
If the car is now worth less because of a collision, it's the car company's problem, not yours – you don't have to pay for that loss. So unless you were planning on keeping the car after the lease ends there will be no loss to you.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
lomohi wrote: Just took over a lease car that has been in accident and signed the transfer lease paper at dealership around more that a month ago, did not know that until now when i checked carfax report online, the last leasee cheated to me saying that the car is accident free, the car was repaired and looks ok now and is also passed the safety provided by last leasee, but i just feel like i get fooled.
is there anything i can do in this case? like legal approach to the last leasee? but since i already signed the transfer paper there is no way to do to withdraw that right? The car lease is only one year left, maybe i just have to stick it through?
The lease includes the return warrenty(covers small dents, scratches), would that help?
What's the problem?
Nov 24, 2012
134 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
lomohi wrote: Just took over a lease car that has been in accident and signed the transfer lease paper at dealership around more that a month ago, did not know that until now when i checked carfax report online, the last leasee cheated to me saying that the car is accident free, the car was repaired and looks ok now and is also passed the safety provided by last leasee, but i just feel like i get fooled.
You will have a problem while returning the car ONLY if the repair was not up to the mark (colour matching, panel alignment, etc.). Other than that, enjoy the car.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3990 posts
3005 upvotes
GTA
As long as it leaves 2 tire tracks, you should be fine. If you see 4, you are in trouble.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4344 posts
3627 upvotes
Oakville, ON
No realistic recourse now. Enjoy driving for the next year, return it at lease end, and walk away with a lesson learned for next time - do your research and get independent inspection done yourself BEFORE finalizing a deal.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11644 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
Just thanks god that you are leasing it and not bought it.
A year later, you will return the car and get another one. Aslong as the repair was done by dealer's authorized repair shop, there will be no issue to you.

Don't waste time to go after the original leasee, you won't able to get anything back from them.
The car is sub leased, basically a long term used car rental. Just drive it and get a another one when the lease is up.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015