Automotive

"Justice of peace" equivilant in Quebec?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2016 10:07 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1366 posts
531 upvotes

"Justice of peace" equivilant in Quebec?

Hello,

In Ontario, when you get a ticket you can usually go in to the court and speak to a Justice of Peace at any time and they usually lower your fine/remove points if you plead guilty with explanation. My wife has a couple of tickets that she got in Quebec and when I called the court house they laughed in a Quebecor accent and told me you either plead not guilty and go through the whole process and speak to prosecutor or guilty and pay the entire fine, no other option.

Is this true? through my search here apparently some people were able to speak to someone prior to court dates, etc. How?
5 replies
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4644 upvotes
Montreal
No, Quebec doesn't have a Justice of the Peace. The process is exactly as stated by the court that 'laughed in a Quebecor accent'. Also, unlike Ontario the cop does not have to show up and usually doesn't and you will still lose. Unless you like to make long distance drives to a QC court where the conviction rate is 99%, I'd just pay the ticket.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6147 posts
599 upvotes
240sxer wrote: Hello,

In Ontario, when you get a ticket you can usually go in to the court and speak to a Justice of Peace at any time and they usually lower your fine/remove points if you plead guilty with explanation. My wife has a couple of tickets that she got in Quebec and when I called the court house they laughed in a Quebecor accent and told me you either plead not guilty and go through the whole process and speak to prosecutor or guilty and pay the entire fine, no other option.

Is this true? through my search here apparently some people were able to speak to someone prior to court dates, etc. How?
Ask to speak to a traffic prosecutor and ask the prosecutor what they will offer you to plead guilty. They should offer you some sort of deal in exchange for resolving these matters (i.e., plead guilty to some, withdraw the others; plead guilty to all matters but to lesser offences; etc).
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27375 posts
3883 upvotes
Montreal
The prosecutor will offer to meet you just before your case starts. He may offer a plea, such as waving the admin charges, and extending the payment deadline.

In my case, he showed me the full documentation the officer submitted, and we noted an important omission. The case was dropped.

If it's for photo radar, don't bother fighting it. Not worth the effort.